SolydXK's TODO List

Here is the place were the team and the community projects meet together. Help us to develop SolydXK projects or contribute your ideas for future releases.
Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

SolydXK's TODO List

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 02 Jul 2014 19:16

I'd like to make the things I have to do more transparent, and because I don't have the right tool to collect them, I thought I just create a topic for it.

Please don't post any suggestions here, there is a section especially for that. When it's interesting enough, it'll end up here. However, if you want to pick up a project, just let me know!

I'll update this OP when needed.

Last updated: 6 December 2015

Server
  • Update server
    Currently running old-squeeze and unsupported by Dreamhost (our ISP).
    This is time consuming and costly (I will need to maintain two servers during configuration, migration and testing)
    I plan to do this in the first quarter of 2016
Recurring
  • Check automated FF/TB/Flash builds
Programming
  • Update Manager, Live Installer, The Welcome Screen, SolydXK Constructor
    - Remove --force-yes argument wherever possible: http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=6148
  • Updatemanager
    - [DONE]Check on updates is not working properly.
    - [DONE]Locked /var/dpkg/lock on Plasma 5 after upgrade finishes.
    - [DONE]Only AppIndicator3 is supported by Plasma 5 to show a systray icon.
    - [KEEPOLD]AppIndicator3 is not showing any messages in Plasma 4.
    - [NOFIX]AppIndicator3 is not refreshing messages in Plasma 5.
  • live-installer:
    - [DONE]Port to python3/Gtk+ (in progress)
    - [DONE]Include OEM install (after python3/Gtk+ port is finished)
    - [DONE] Encryption
  • [DONE] Welcome screen:
    - [DONE]Add the possibility to upgrade LibreOffice from backports
    - [DONE]Show this page only when running stable
    - [DONE]Include a warning for using backports
ISOs

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Deleted User 2764

Re: SolydXK's TODO List

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 03 Jul 2014 20:52

Schoelje wrote:I'd like to make the things I have to do more transparent, and because I don't have the right tool to collect them, I thought I just create a topic for it.
For organizing stuff like to do lists, projects, documentation, etc. I use CherryTree (it's in the repos). It can also export to several formats, including HTML so you could probably cut/paste the list to the forum whenever you like.
Schoelje wrote: USB Creator
- New project to easily create multi bootable SolydXK pen drives
Wasn't Scott working on that in glade/python? I did make a script for that, if you remember. I don't know glade/python just yet but maybe this could be a "learning" project for me... but I don't want to step on Scott's toes with it if he's doing this project.

@ScottQuier - are you still doing this and if so, can I help/learn with this?
Schoelje wrote: ISOs
SolydXK theme/icon set
I remember Sam was doing this? I'm not a themer/programmer or icon creator but if anyone is interested in doing the project, I'd be glad to critique and give suggestions as they go along.
Schoelje wrote: SolydXK
Prepare SolydXK pen drives for marketing purposes
I love this list! :)
Schoelje wrote: Write accompanying text with pen drives
Create welcome pages for pen drive recipients
By this, do you mean what is shown in the slideshow during installation? (Which I did notice some typos but I'd have to go look again to see what they were.) More details would be needed on this part of the project. Maybe I could do a little writing for it?
Schoelje wrote: Professionalize main site
Main site already looks professional as is! :) But, let us know what you had in mind specifically. I work with php/MySQL, HTML5, CSS3. If you need help, this might be another area I could chip in?
Schoelje wrote: Find an IRC manager, or close the channels if nobody's interested
This is the sad part about all IRC channels. I can't count how many times I would pop into IRC to ask a question and there was nobody answering or I'd be ignored. :( Not in SolydXK but in others. I think most people now leave the IRC on, and then go to bed, or work, or whatever and then once a day check if someone asked a question and is still in the room. It became more a messaging service than an actual chat room over the years. So I never really use IRC.

Anyway, if I had more detail on one or more of the above I mentioned, maybe I could pick one (or more, depending on my time) and help out a little bit where I can? I don't think that would be bandwidth heavy (reason why I dropped out of testing. :lol:

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 04 Jul 2014 08:47

Thanks, I'll check out CherryTree.

Indeed, ScottQuier has taken up the USB project. I updated the OP.

Sam is occupied elsewhere at the moment. pamfeuer offered to take over the project, but haven't heard from him since. I'm afraid the project is dead.

When the pen drives are finished, I will send them to potential clients, magazines, papers, etc. I already have the boxes, but it'll need a leaflet of some sort. Something to get the people curious.

Do you know Typo3?
It's part of SolydK BO, and I'd like to investigate if we could use that for our site, and future sites.
I don't know much about it, but I'd like to know if it has blog, and social media integration like wordpress (but just a one-way communication). In the future I even would like to create a hardware shop. You see, there's a lot to do ;)

I have the same issue with IRC: http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4223

SolydXK needs you!

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 04 Jul 2014 13:20

RavenLX wrote:
Schoelje wrote: USB Creator
- New project to easily create multi bootable SolydXK pen drives
Wasn't Scott working on that in glade/python? I did make a script for that, if you remember. I don't know glade/python just yet but maybe this could be a "learning" project for me... but I don't want to step on Scott's toes with it if he's doing this project.

@ScottQuier - are you still doing this and if so, can I help/learn with this?
Yes - it's still an active project. I've not had the energy/focus necessary to work it properly. I go back to my 9-5 on 7Jul and my hope is that I'll be able (re)start the effort on this project at that time. In the meantime, I have committed all my current work on the project in the SolydXK github and you are more than welcome to clone that, look at it, and provide feedback or ask questions. I'm on a short holiday right now (attending a friend's wedding) but I'll start a thread on this project on Sunday (6Jul) wherein a lively and heated discussion will, no doubt, start up! :) :lol:
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 04 Jul 2014 13:22

Never heard of Typo3 so I googled for it. I will have to check it out. I don't usually like CMSs because they are so complicated to configure and use. I usually like to hard-code things by hand. :ugeek: However, that is hard too! :lol:

I've tried in the past Joomla, Mambo, and WordPress and a few others while making up FAQ tutorials for the main site at work. I think I'll want to learn Typo3 as well at some point anyway.

This weekend I'm doing backups but I'll make a note of it for next week's side project to look into learning it.

As for IRC, I read the other thread and maybe just having this forum is good enough. People can ask/answer when they have time.

Another idea is to see if there are voluteers that can take questions during certain hours and put up one of those chat services that some places have for customer service.

@ScottQuier - Sounds great! I'll watch for your thread (and link) and maybe take a look. I'm going to see which one of these (Typo3/Site design or help with the USB Multi-Boot) I can contribute to.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 14 Jul 2014 12:21

OP updated.

SolydXK needs you!

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 14 Jul 2014 14:08

I noticed the icon/theme thing is "Frozen". Please forgive me for asking but what exactly does "Frozen" mean?

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 14 Jul 2014 14:18

RavenLX wrote:I noticed the icon/theme thing is "Frozen". Please forgive me for asking but what exactly does "Frozen" mean?
That there hasn't been anybody to pick up the project where it was left.

SolydXK needs you!

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 14 Jul 2014 15:09

Thanks for the info. I got confused because people say "Frozen" when the freeze code as in not accepting any new additions/ideas and are in pretty much bug-fix mode before release.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 14 Jul 2014 16:13

If you have a better word to describe the status, I'd love to hear it ;)

SolydXK needs you!

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 14 Jul 2014 19:47

I don't know really. Maybe it doesn't need a label since you have the person working on the projects after the project so it's assumed if there's no name after it, then it's up for grabs?

ilu

Postby ilu » 12 Aug 2014 11:54

I had some introductory courses into Typo3 and I can tell you, it's a gigantic tool with plugins for almost everything, blog, social media and your hardwareshop included. It's the "eierlegende Wollmilchsau" ( :lol: hope you understand that) among CMS.
But it's not something you use on-the-fly - it needs a dedicated maintainer who really knows stuff (which probably means that s/he uses Typo3 full-time professionally).
I reluctantly decided that it's to much for me and my time and quit trying although I'm still fascinated.

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 12 Aug 2014 14:57

As a web developer, (and many will disagree with me), I find CMS and jack-of-all-trades systems to be a PITA. My site is hand coded PHP. No CMS. That way it's easier to maintain. I have code snippets I wrote myself that I can just cut/paste into a page when I want something like a feature box, or a specialized list, or fancy title or box or whatever.

A CMS might be good if you need to have someone logging in, etc. but to maintain CMS code (even just themes) is really a lot of work. I much rather edit/maintain the code manually as I'll know what's in it.

Forums aren't bad though. Those I like because at least it's an application that can be integrated into your web site.

Many times one has to think, "Why do I need people to log into my site? What is it I want them to do or what is it I need to share that I don't want the general public to see or do?" Forums, naturally you need to have people log in to post (for obvious security reasons). But the rest of the site, if it's just going to be information only, that only you will be updating, then you really don't need any CMS. Just some nice PHP code.

Even if you're going to have multiple people working maintaining the site, it's best to go with an online versioning system like git or CVS/SVN, etc. and have some people who know at least basic HTML and can cut/paste pre-made code (you could have a "RES" folder to keep code they can cut/paste into pages) and add content, and if they are smart enough to do that and then they should be able to keep up the site. Just make page templates they can copy/rename and have comments clearly in them where to add code and where not to.

I think a web developer or to, and online versioning (if more than one is taking care of content) would be easiest.

Also, what content needs updating regularly? Can one person (using the above method) write, and update content in say a couple hours? Or would it require several people several hours? Only large sites like Amazon would need a staff. Smaller sites with just like a blog (which I think you can do without a wordpress by using the above method - would be less overhead) or news, and main pages would be easier to update. How often would it be upated anyway?

I'm not too keen on bloated sites. I like to keep it as simple as possible. For me, at least, it's easier.

If people need a bit more, docuwiki or wordpress is lighter, I think.

BurritoBazooka

Postby BurritoBazooka » 11 Oct 2014 22:30

RavenLX wrote:This is the sad part about all IRC channels. I can't count how many times I would pop into IRC to ask a question and there was nobody answering or I'd be ignored. :( Not in SolydXK but in others. I think most people now leave the IRC on, and then go to bed, or work, or whatever and then once a day check if someone asked a question and is still in the room. It became more a messaging service than an actual chat room over the years.
You are correct, and I have embraced this new use from early on. My IRC client is open in the background when I work or play at home, and when I want to take a quick break, I open it and see what people said. Leaving after asking a question is now considered bad practice - you could have idled a while with no extra effort and might have just received an answer. That is the standard way of using it, now. Many channels (#xfce for one) recommends this practice in the channel topic, and many others recommend it in their channel guidelines.

Nobody is paid to sit there and stare at the screen until someone asks a question, but some IRC channels like #debian, #python, and #ubuntu on Freenode (each of which has around 1500 people) have reached a critical mass where there is always someone looking who can offer a response (if you are in the right timezone).

If the people who manage this distro's community infrastructure (like this forum) don't establish an IRC channel, enough people (like me) will want one that it will establish itself. edit2: I'm sure you don't have to fear a power-grab, though. I'm quite sure Freenode has procedures for giving channels to their rightful communities.

edit: Unfortunately I think there are many people who are guilty of being in many channels but only ever reading/saying things in three or four. So channel member numbers are skewed. I'm one of those people :|

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 24 Oct 2014 16:15

Updated status of live-installer, usb-creator, and software-manager in OP.

SolydXK needs you!

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 05 Mar 2015 15:43

I've updated the OP: removed everything that's already done or dropped and added live-installer programming tasks.

SolydXK needs you!

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 05 Mar 2015 15:57

Has usb-creator been dropped?

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 05 Mar 2015 16:09

RavenLX wrote:Has usb-creator been dropped?
No, just like all the other applications not in the todo list: there is nothing planned. At least, not by me...

SolydXK needs you!

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 05 Mar 2015 16:15

Thank goodness it's still around. I think the usb creator is a very useful program.

jbeukelman

Postby jbeukelman » 28 Apr 2015 21:50

Hey,

I've been lurking the forums for a while now. I've also been studying the source code for some of the custom applications (have submitted a pull request for updatemanager, nothing major)

What are the most wanted features of the applications? Are there any known bugs? I might be able to pitch in and help. If no such tracking list exists, how about starting one?

--cheers!

Return to “Suggestions & ideas / Open Projects”