Community ISO Testing

Here is the place were the team and the community projects meet together. Help us to develop SolydXK projects or contribute your ideas for future releases.
grizzler

Community ISO Testing

Postby grizzler » 03 Dec 2014 15:31

This thread is for announcements, questions and test reports regarding the 32 bit SolydK and SolydX ISOs, created by members of the Community and uploaded to http://downloads.solydxk.nl/ce/testing/ for testing purposes.

Please be aware that the SolydK ISO with timestamp 2-Dec-2014 23:39 is not a community created item, but the one also available here, which was used for upload tests.

The SolydX ISO of 2-Dec-2014 05:45 can be used for testing.
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

Deleted User 2764

Re: Community ISO Testing

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 03 Dec 2014 21:23

Ready for testing SolydK 32-bit: solydk32_20141202.iso (and md5sum). Please post here any bug reports/problems, etc.

NOTES: This iso was created using Schoeje's method outlined in the SolydXK ISO creation thread. However, I've noticed that the system will still need to go through a dist-upgrade anyway. I don't know why that happened (as it was supposed to be already updated when I made the ISO).

Please see here for more information on this test ISO especially if you plan to boot using EFI:

http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php? ... 140#p48671

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 03 Dec 2014 21:38

I'd like to join but with my internet connection it would take a whole day to download and test the iso. best whises for all of you :3

patzy

Postby patzy » 04 Dec 2014 07:50

Downloaded solydk32_20141202.iso and burned a DVD.

It booted with Plymouth enabled with no graphics trouble.
Noted so far:
It takes a really long time to load the OS compared to previous versions. It also took a long time to bring up Firefox - which I am now using to write this post.

I shall play with it a bit more before I do a metal installation.

Testing using 32bit SolydK
Pentium Dual CPU E2220 2Gb memory
Geoforce 8400 using Nouveau driver

patzy

Postby patzy » 04 Dec 2014 13:01

Have now installed the Dec 2 32b K. It took a long time! I did not format /home as my SolydK was already fully updated.

Problem: (Not a very big one) Everything froze when after the install had finished I clicked to reboot. So I pressed the reboot button and everything loaded OK.

I did an upgrade with Synaptic and then added some of my favourite programmes. I see that the Gdebi error message is still turning up after installing a deb, but it can be safely ignored.
Firefox and Icedove are working well. Gramps needed a heap of python dependencies added to it - as usual. It was nice to see that FF no longer wipes /home/.Mozilla.
I'll give Libre Office and a lot of the other things a run through tomorrow, if I have time.

Question:
Should I leave Synaptic pointing to the testing repos? If not which ones?

For a testing ISO, this is working remarkably well. Congratulations to Raven, the builder! :) (We definitely need that clapping hands emoticon).

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 04 Dec 2014 13:40

Fantastic! :D I agree we need a clapping hands emoticon. :) You deserve a hand clap too! Applesauce! (er... applause! :) )

It never froze for me after installation. But I was in a Virtual Machine and I clicked to NOT restart and let the installer exit, then went to the menu and shut down the machine from there. I would like to hear from others who put it on a raw system (not VM) if they are having the same problems with the installer. Or if you have another machine to test it on to see if it's just the machine or if we have an installer issue that needs addressing?

The repos are pointing to what they should be (for now). If you want to follow Debian Jessie, go here and follow Schoelje's OP:

http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=5095

Please be careful! That repo isn't ready for production yet and I wouldn't recommend it for a normal everyday machine. While Debian has frozen Jessie, it's still in Testing phase and being tweaked and readied for release. I would highly recommend people who run SolydX or SolydK HE as a home/normal use system to continue to point to the pre-installed repos. Those that want to test the process of converting to track/follow Debian Jessie should use the above link.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 05 Dec 2014 07:08

I made an announcement of this topic. Now it shows up at the top of the page. Hopefully this project can attract more testers/programmers.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

patzy

Postby patzy » 05 Dec 2014 07:40

I've been playing with Dec2 32 K again.
I did get a nasty shock. I had FF, LO wprdprocessor, Gwenview and Icedove all running at the same time. went to get the mail and found I didn't have the router running. Plugged it in and when I turned back to the computer everything had gone and all I had was a black screen (no it wasn't the screen saver kicking in).
I rebooted and loaded the programmes in order to to replicate what ever happened (including having the router off) but it is all running OK. Hopefully it was just an abberation....

So all the above programmes are OK, VLC works as expected - the sound is all present and correct.
All is good so far.
BTW Plymouth is switched off (I like to see what little systemd shows me) and I'm now using the Nouveau video driver

Snap

Postby Snap » 05 Dec 2014 07:54

Hey, folks. Shouldn't we consider another way of naming the testing isos? I mean, like beta, testing, rc, pre or something. Only the date would make it tricky to get the one when the number of uploaded isos grow (hope it grows big).

I can only do VM tests for now (downloading). Hope to get me a testing machine soon for these purposes and rearranging my main PC too. The way I have it now was planned for a different task and doesn't suit so well my real usage now. Needs a full rebuild. :?

Also... I found a new toy, Vsido, and I'm spending most of my computing time exploring it within the last three days. Sorry for joining in late to the testing party. :oops: :mrgreen:
This likely means that your installation is broken. -Mr Pixbuf.

Snap

Postby Snap » 05 Dec 2014 11:11

VM Installations went smooth and without hickups. Both K & X. God job mates.

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 05 Dec 2014 12:09

Schoelje wrote:I made an announcement of this topic. Now it shows up at the top of the page. Hopefully this project can attract more testers/programmers.
Thank you. :)

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 05 Dec 2014 12:14

patzy wrote:I've been playing with Dec2 32 K again.
I did get a nasty shock. I had FF, LO wprdprocessor, Gwenview and Icedove all running at the same time. went to get the mail and found I didn't have the router running. Plugged it in and when I turned back to the computer everything had gone and all I had was a black screen (no it wasn't the screen saver kicking in).
I rebooted and loaded the programmes in order to to replicate what ever happened (including having the router off) but it is all running OK. Hopefully it was just an abberation....
It might be the power management settings that does that. And on some machines, the power management settings kick in and don't let the system recover (requiring a hard reset). I think it's a bug that was discussed elsewhere in this forum? Forgot now. You could turn off that setting in System Settings - Power Management - Energy Saving (on left). Uncheck the Screen Energy Saving option. It's set at a few minutes by default.
patzy wrote:I'm now using the Nouveau video driver
If the issues continue with the sudden black screen and the above fix doesn't work, you may want to go into the DDM (Device Driver Manager) and try a different driver. Though be sure to back up everything before you do because some drivers may lock you out of the system. And other drivers may work better.

I would first try the power management settings though. I think that might do the trick.

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 05 Dec 2014 12:21

Snap wrote:Hey, folks. Shouldn't we consider another way of naming the testing isos? I mean, like beta, testing, rc, pre or something.
That is a very good idea. I'm going to do that on my uploads from this point forward. Right now once it's uploaded, it's moved to the production directory where I can't rename it. Maybe Schoelje can rename them for us at some point, if needed?
Snap wrote:I can only do VM tests for now (downloading). Hope to get me a testing machine soon for these purposes and rearranging my main PC too. The way I have it now was planned for a different task and doesn't suit so well my real usage now. Needs a full rebuild. :?
I've had that happen and in fact I'm considering the same thing myself for my new desktop PC. As I use it, I'm seeing where I probably should have done things differently. But I think it'll be awhile before I get to that point because the holidays are here, and I've got a ton of other things to do first. But I'll get there. Meanwhile, my old HP laptop is still limping along and I can use that as a test system too. I set that up so that it doesn't matter if it gets messed up, I can just reinstall anything and be going again.
Snap wrote:Also... I found a new toy, Vsido, and I'm spending most of my computing time exploring it within the last three days. Sorry for joining in late to the testing party. :oops: :mrgreen:
You're not late and neither would anyone else that joins any old time. :) Glad to have you aboard!

BTW, did you change your avatar or is it just not loading for some reason? :oops: :mrgreen:

Snap

Postby Snap » 05 Dec 2014 12:45

Yes, I changed my avatar, doesn't it show in your browser? :roll: The former one was a png. It's a gif now... Maybe it's that... I never had a problem with gifs in my FF in any system. Perhaps you have some addons or settings blocking it.
I've had that happen and in fact I'm considering the same thing myself for my new desktop PC. As I use it, I'm seeing where I probably should have done things differently. But I think it'll be awhile before I get to that point because the holidays are here, and I've got a ton of other things to do first. But I'll get there. Meanwhile, my old HP laptop is still limping along and I can use that as a test system too. I set that up so that it doesn't matter if it gets messed up, I can just reinstall anything and be going again.
I used to have my formed PC around, but I gave it to my sister. Now I miss it a bit... :mrgreen:

I want to add a new SSD to my desktop and use it for root partitions and a few homes plus a couple of complete HDs for my two main systems (a dedicated DAW and the main one for anything else) and two storage and backup devices too. Kinda fleabus method. :mrgreen: He gave me the idea. Anyway I'd like to grab a second machine for adventurous metal install testings. So I can keep running my main PC while messing up the testing one.

Hope this weekend I'll start borking isos with the constructor too. :mrgreen:

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 05 Dec 2014 12:54

RavenLX wrote:
Snap wrote:Hey, folks. Shouldn't we consider another way of naming the testing isos? I mean, like beta, testing, rc, pre or something.
That is a very good idea.
You think so? Why exactly? These ISOs are picked up from a server directory called ce/testing (Community Editions/Testing). Why would we need to add something like that to the name of the ISOs as well?
Not trying to be difficult here. Just don't see the point... :?
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 05 Dec 2014 13:13

Snap wrote:Yes, I changed my avatar, doesn't it show in your browser? :roll: The former one was a png. It's a gif now... Maybe it's that... I never had a problem with gifs in my FF in any system. Perhaps you have some addons or settings blocking it.
Ah, so it's supposed to be an animated icon of a dash spinning in a circle? I see that. But always associated that with "loading" something (as in flash or something). Had me fooled! :lol:
Snap wrote:Hope this weekend I'll start borking isos with the constructor too. :mrgreen:
Please bork away and let us know your results! :)

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 05 Dec 2014 13:15

grizzler wrote:You think so? Why exactly? These ISOs are picked up from a server directory called ce/testing (Community Editions/Testing). Why would we need to add something like that to the name of the ISOs as well?
Not trying to be difficult here. Just don't see the point... :?
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: (I WISH we had a hand-slap-on-head emoticon - this is the perfect time for me to use it!)

I didn't even think of or remember/notice that! You're right! It is in the testing directory to begin with! No need for renaming. Sorry about that.

Snap

Postby Snap » 05 Dec 2014 15:09

I still think it could be useful to avoid confusions. Anyway, it's fine for me as is. :mrgreen:
Ah, so it's supposed to be an animated icon of a dash spinning in a circle? I see that. But always associated that with "loading" something (as in flash or something). Had me fooled! :lol:
Yep, always loading... backwards! :lol:

Zill

Postby Zill » 05 Dec 2014 16:17

Snap wrote:
Yep, always loading... backwards! :lol:
I find animated gifs and similar "effects" very distracting and irritating . But then I can't stand KDE... ;-)

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 05 Dec 2014 17:41

I just noticed it was going backwards! :lol:

Now let's stay on topic here (sorry, I'm not the moderator, though)...

Anyone test or about to test the isos? What were your findings? Any bug reports?

Return to “Suggestions & ideas / Open Projects”