Community ISO Testing

Here is the place were the team and the community projects meet together. Help us to develop SolydXK projects or contribute your ideas for future releases.
grizzler

Re: Community ISO Testing

Postby grizzler » 05 Dec 2014 17:47

Snap did (see above). No issues to report, apparently.

Anyone else?
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

Snap

Postby Snap » 06 Dec 2014 01:00

Last OT. Promised.
I find animated gifs and similar "effects" very distracting and irritating .
Me too... usually... but mine spins slow. :mrgreen:
But then I can't stand KDE...
Me too. :lol:
This likely means that your installation is broken. -Mr Pixbuf.

patzy

Postby patzy » 06 Dec 2014 01:31

SolydK 32 bit Dec02:

@Grizzler
Just having a code for the ISO would be good. No need to identify the system being referred to in full. The one I'm testing could be Dec2-32K (if only 32 bit is being used in Community ISO Testing then just Dec2K would suffice).

@Raven
I found I had already turned off Energy Saving.
Since then I've had another odd one. I right clicked the Desktop. Chose Leave > Switch off computer. Everything closed down but the computer did not switch off.
I'm keeping the thing running all day today and using it now and then. We shall see if anything untoward happens.
I also intend to get out my old laptop later and see how things go on that.

Testing using 32bit SolydK
Pentium Dual CPU E2220 2Gb memory
Geoforce 8400 using Nouveau driver

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 06 Dec 2014 02:00

This sounds very much like a power management issue. There are also settings that determine what happens when you close the lid, shut the computer down, etc. It may just went into standby instead? I think it would be good to just go through all the power manager settings yet again and verify that it is what you want. Other things to check in System Settings:

Display and Monitor - Screen Locker
Startup and Shutdown - Session Management (be sure you have Default leave option set to "End Current Session")

Sometimes a setting is hidden in something that could also cause something weird to happen.

Snap

Postby Snap » 06 Dec 2014 10:13

grizzler wrote:
RavenLX wrote:
Snap wrote:Hey, folks. Shouldn't we consider another way of naming the testing isos? I mean, like beta, testing, rc, pre or something.
That is a very good idea.
You think so? Why exactly? These ISOs are picked up from a server directory called ce/testing (Community Editions/Testing). Why would we need to add something like that to the name of the ISOs as well?
Not trying to be difficult here. Just don't see the point... :?
Sorry to be a PITA. but here's the issue I was expecting and why my proposal.

http://downloads.solydxk.nl/nightly/
http://downloads.solydxk.nl/ce/testing/

isos are all 201412 as for today. If we happen to upload and keep online a lot of different testing versions of them, Once downloaded, which is which? Or perhaps in the future we may have new isos once per month or even less, so this will never be a problem, but...
[moderated: unnecessary white lines]
PS, OK, I'll stop it. :mrgreen:

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 07 Dec 2014 16:32

I haven't seen tests for Grizzler's SolydX 32-bit. So, I booted it live and compared it with my SolydX64 now downloadable as a nightly build.

Boot error: missing directory /etc/fstab.d

Pre-installed packages has changed in the nightly builds of the 64-bit systems.
Because the 32-bit versions are community driven, some decisions have to made by the community:
  • Replace Abiword/Gnumeric with LibreOffice?
  • Replace Unetbootin with solydxk-usb-creator?
  • Remove Exaile, Gimp, Pidgin, Transmission, Xchat?
I haven't installed it yet, will do that later this week.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 07 Dec 2014 17:16

Schoelje wrote:Because the 32-bit versions are community driven, some decisions have to made by the community:
Replace Abiword/Gnumeric with LibreOffice?
My Vote: Yes.
Schoelje wrote:Replace Unetbootin with solydxk-usb-creator?
My Vote: Yes, if solydxk-usb-creator is mature enough for release.
Schoelje wrote:Remove Exaile, Gimp, Pidgin, Transmission, Xchat?
My Vote: No. Many absolutely need one or more of these programs. I for one, if I were using SolydX, would need Exaile and Gimp. Others may even need Pidgin. I think Gimp and Exaile are necessities. Unless, you can replace Exaile with Clementine or something. But Gimp, there just is no good replacement for it and it's a necessary desktop application (people may need to edit a picture, screen shot, photo, etc. at some point).

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 07 Dec 2014 17:27

Schoelje wrote:I haven't seen tests for Grizzler's SolydX 32-bit. So, I booted it live and compared it with my SolydX64 now downloadable as a nightly build.

Boot error: missing directory /etc/fstab.d
That directory was never meant to exist and shouldn't be used by anything. Recent builds of util-linux apparently no longer create it. However, unpacking the source ISO (201411) should have included it in the build structure I have here, so I'm not sure why it's missing (unless the fact that it no longer exists on my main install has anything to do with it). The error doesn't seem to cause any problems though.
Pre-installed packages has changed in the nightly builds of the 64-bit systems.
Because the 32-bit versions are community driven, some decisions have to made by the community:
Yes, I'd already made a note to look into that. Using LibreOffice instead of Abiword/Gnumeric should be fine, but I'm not sure about removing UNetbootin, Transmission and GIMP.
Frank

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 07 Dec 2014 17:41

Regarding /etc/fstab.d
Although not provided by util-linux, it seems that the live packages still expect it to be there. As a workaround I could let the live-installer create the directory during installation of the live-installer and remove it again when live-installer is removed from the system. This way it would only exist in a live session, not on an installed system.

SolydXK needs you!

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 07 Dec 2014 18:04

That's ok, but in the meantime I've already restored it in my build structure. I have all four HE ISOs unpacked there and for some reason both the 32 bit ones had that directory missing. Very strange. I suppose I must have removed it manually, although I can't remember doing that... :?
Frank

Snap

Postby Snap » 07 Dec 2014 18:18

[moderated: unnecessary white lines]
Yup, sorry... :mrgreen:

Snap

Postby Snap » 07 Dec 2014 18:33

Schoelje wrote: Pre-installed packages has changed in the nightly builds of the 64-bit systems.
IMHO:

LibreOffice: yes.
solydxk-usb-creator: As Raven said.
Gimp: yes.
Exaile: Never used it. Cannot tell.
Pidgin: who cares...
Transmission: I guess one bittorrent client should be included at least for downloading the isos for slow connections where direct downloads would make it impossible. Not voting for Transmission specifically, but to have a bittorrent client in.
XChat: Does SolydXK have an IRC channel? I don't see the point in keeping it in. In any case it's an easy install if anyone ever needs it.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 07 Dec 2014 18:34

grizzler wrote:That's ok, but in the meantime I've already restored it in my build structure. I have all four HE ISOs unpacked there and for some reason both the 32 bit ones had that directory missing. Very strange. I suppose I must have removed it manually, although I can't remember doing that... :?
It was the same for the 64-bit versions. I'll update the live installer, just to make it easier for us ;)

SolydXK needs you!

Snap

Postby Snap » 07 Dec 2014 18:38

Good.

tek10

Postby tek10 » 10 Dec 2014 02:56

I've been checking out the Solydx 32bit for the past couple days and have found no issues. Like the new theme.

Regarding Schoeljes questions:

Replace Abiword/Gnumeric with LibreOffice?
Yes
Replace Unetbootin with solydxk-usb-creator?
Yes
Remove Exaile, Gimp, Pidgin, Transmission, Xchat?
Prefer not but ok if removed. All can easily be added after installation.

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 10 Dec 2014 03:22

The problem I had with the iso I made (SolydK) is that while I did a dist-upgrade as per instructions, it still needed updating after installation. I assumed this should not be the case? Should I try again? The first try was to see if I could make a successful iso.

patzy

Postby patzy » 10 Dec 2014 05:49

RavenLX wrote:The problem I had with the iso I made (SolydK) is that while I did a dist-upgrade as per instructions, it still needed updating after installation. I assumed this should not be the case? Should I try again? The first try was to see if I could make a successful iso.
It certainly was successful.
I expect that there will always be some updating required.
I updated mine after install as a matter of course, most people probably do the same.
My install is going along with no trouble at all. I have no idea why I had those glitches to start with. It may have been something local.
I suggest you hold off a couple of weeks before making another. There should then be plenty of 'new bits' to make it worthwhile. :P

BTW What is the new theme tek10 mentions in X - am I missing something? :)
PS I got the laptop out, but I think I'll wait for your next build and install it on there.

Testing using 32bit SolydK
Pentium Dual CPU E2220 2Gb memory
Geoforce 8400 using Nouveau driver

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 10 Dec 2014 06:29

patzy wrote:BTW What is the new theme tek10 mentions in X - am I missing something? :)
Check out the OP of this topic and especially the post-upgrade section for instructions: http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=5095

SolydXK needs you!

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 10 Dec 2014 07:08

RavenLX wrote:The problem I had with the iso I made (SolydK) is that while I did a dist-upgrade as per instructions, it still needed updating after installation.
These ISOs have a sources.list that tracks Jessie (i.e. currently Testing). There will probably be new updates every day until Jessie becomes Stable. There may even be some immediately after you've built an ISO, if new updates were made available while you were building it.
Frank

Snap

Postby Snap » 10 Dec 2014 07:35

Yes, besides it's frozen, the updates in Jessie are continuous these days. Way more than the true rolling distros I have around.

Return to “Suggestions & ideas / Open Projects”