Community ISO Testing

Here is the place were the team and the community projects meet together. Help us to develop SolydXK projects or contribute your ideas for future releases.
patzy

Re: Community ISO Testing

Postby patzy » 13 Dec 2014 07:47

Schoelje wrote:The user now has six pages to go through.

I don't know if another page for the professional user merits the effort: the welcome screen targets people unknown to Linux to help them get acquainted.....
I agree that the info for new users should be kept simple by just offering guidelines.
We often hear stories of people put off Linux because there is too much to choose from!
The "pro" users can easily look after themselves.

BTW I have had some nervous MS users asking if I know anything about Windows 10. The story is that not only will the OS cost $s, but there will be a subscription for the "honour" of keeping on using it! :lol: :roll:
Maybe this will bring a flood of new users to Linux, and a few pages to look through when installing Solyd will be just the thing for them.

Snap

Postby Snap » 13 Dec 2014 09:37

@ Schoelje.

You're surely right. The simpler, the better. Though the word "Home" still sounds weird and misleading to me (trying to see it from a noob's point of view). What about "Extras", or "Multimedia", or "Goodies", or...
This likely means that your installation is broken. -Mr Pixbuf.

Snap

Postby Snap » 13 Dec 2014 09:40

but there will be a subscription for the "honour" of keeping on using it!
:shock: :shock: :shock: Short of money? Chrome OS is hitting them hard, ain't it? :lol:

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 13 Dec 2014 13:35

What about a drop down somewhere where the default is "normal user". Then the other option would be "Power User"? If the "normal user" is kept, then it goes ahead and does it's thing with default settings. If Power User is selected (on that page could be an explaination of what is included in each), then the extra packages are installed?

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 13 Dec 2014 13:49

RavenLX wrote:What about a drop down somewhere where the default is "normal user". Then the other option would be "Power User"? If the "normal user" is kept, then it goes ahead and does it's thing with default settings. If Power User is selected (on that page could be an explaination of what is included in each), then the extra packages are installed?
A power user would not need an introduction to his or hers needed software. The welcome screen is only there for the beginner to help him/her to get started quickly in a convenient way.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 13 Dec 2014 14:01

Schoelje wrote:A power user would not need an introduction to his or hers needed software. The welcome screen is only there for the beginner to help him/her to get started quickly in a convenient way.
I don't think we're visualizing it in quite the same way.

But I'll change my idea a little. Remember how you have a check box to install additional multimedia stuff? Why not this instead: Keep the multimedia check box and also add a "Power User" check box that lists the packages (ie. Transmission, Filezilla, etc.) that comes with that package. No descriptions needed as you said power users would know what they are. But at least the user would know if they fall into that category and see what is included in that option (how else would they know?) and normal users would be able to just leave it unchecked and not have it all installed.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 13 Dec 2014 14:24

I'm glad you're thinking about this. However, my development time is very limited.
The nightly builds with the new welcome screen are being uploaded right now and I've uploaded the source to Github: https://github.com/SolydXK/solydxk-welcome

SolydXK needs you!

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 13 Dec 2014 14:33

No problem. Saw the discussion and thought I'd put my .02 in. Now that part is done, please do take some time out to enjoy the holidays! 8-) I may be a little less active than usual myself until January 4, 2015.

Snap

Postby Snap » 13 Dec 2014 20:31

Sorry to be an annoying dude. But... just downloaded the last nightly isos by Schoelje for testing. But... they have exactly the same names as the previous ones. So if for whatever reason I want to keep the former ones until the test are complete and good, the naming problems I was referring some posts before are right here.

Right now I have two pairs of different isos with the very same names... and more may come soon... :roll:

I know I can tell them apart by the date, but they cannot live in the same folder together unless I rename them and in this case what names should I use? So, if we have to talk or discuss about them or differences or whatever, will be all using the same names and talking about the same isos?

Maybe I'm to picky or too nerd, but I see a problem here...

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 14 Dec 2014 09:35

You can rename them or place them in separate sub-directories.

SolydXK needs you!

Snap

Postby Snap » 14 Dec 2014 09:48

Yes, that's what I did...

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 12 Jan 2015 08:59

I haven't been able to find out why gdebi-kde segfaults after installation of a deb file. So, I've decided to replace gdebi-kde with gdebi and alter the gdebi.desktop file in solydxk-system so that it shows in KDE.

If anybody has a better alternative, I'm all ears!

SolydXK needs you!

patzy

Postby patzy » 13 Jan 2015 04:42

Schoelje wrote:I haven't been able to find out why gdebi-kde segfaults after installation of a deb file. So, I've decided to replace gdebi-kde with gdebi and alter the gdebi.desktop file in solydxk-system so that it shows in KDE.

If anybody has a better alternative, I'm all ears!
Good idea. This bugs goes back some months.
Ignorable but annoying.

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 13 Jan 2015 05:58

I've had that problem too. In fact, I've found other GTK programs (like Eclipse for example) segfaults a lot. I found I think right here in the forums that it was due to the oxygen theme being installed in System Settings - Application Appearance - GTK. Try setting GTK2 and GTK3 themes to something other than oxygen-gtk and see if that helps with gdebi's problem as well (obviously I haven't tried that myself but it does work to stop Eclipse segfaults).

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 13 Jan 2015 07:38

gdebi-kde also segfaults on the nightly builds which have QtCurve by default.

SolydXK needs you!

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 13 Jan 2015 14:32

Ok, so that rules out a gtk theme problem.

Here's some more info I found on it:
http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=34080
https://www.mail-archive.com/debian-bug ... 06930.html

The first link suggests that you might want to end up using this instead:

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg -i name-of-your-package.deb
I just use gdebi when I have to on those rare occasions but at least it does install stuff. It will crash after it's done which by then the package is installed and so I ignored it. But still, I admit it's annoying.

Zill

Postby Zill » 13 Jan 2015 15:08

The main problem with dpkg is that, unlike gdebi, it doesn't install dependent packages. For a single package this isn't really a problem but for more complex packages with dependencies these do need a bit more effort to resolve properly.

"sudo apt-get -f install" may help get things sorted out.

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 13 Jan 2015 20:10

I didn't know you could use apt-get on a downloaded .deb? I thought it automatically downloads from sources list?

Rocky

Postby Rocky » 13 Jan 2015 20:49

RavenLX wrote:I didn't know you could use apt-get on a downloaded .deb? I thought it automatically downloads from sources list?
I don't think you can - see https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debi ... ls.en.html at 8.1 and 8.1.1

However I thought a .deb file contained details of dependencies and dpkg would take this into account (8.1.1) ? On second thoughts I suppose the problem is obtaining the dependencies ?
"All that glisters is not gold" - Shakespeare "The Merchant of Venice"

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 13 Jan 2015 21:17

That's what the 'sudo apt-get -f install' is for. It tries to pick up the pieces the incomplete dpkg -i left behind. Works quite well most of the time, as long as the dependencies are available in one of the repos mentioned in your sources list(s).
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

Return to “Suggestions & ideas / Open Projects”