[CLOSED] Name the Next Release

Here is the place were the team and the community projects meet together. Help us to develop SolydXK projects or contribute your ideas for future releases.

What Theme Shall We Use for Naming?

Poll ended at 30 Jun 2015 20:00

Star Constellations
15%
Stars
4%
Planets and Galaxies
7%
Debian Version #
41%
Plants/Flowers
No votes
Robots
No votes
Rocks
22%
Something Else (Please post in this thread.)
11%

Total votes: 27

Deleted User 2764

Re: Name the Next Release

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 01 Jun 2015 19:16

Hey, I love that wallpaper idea! Any new artwork for SolydXK is welcome.

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 01 Jun 2015 22:12

Unfortunately I just found those photos online and they are not my own. However, I have long associate SolydXK with rock stability and thought rocks would be a cool theme for SolydXK wallpaper. If I ever get somewhere I can get good pictures of rocks and things I'll definetly contribute them to SolydXK.

tardy

Postby tardy » 01 Jun 2015 22:36

Personally, I think that for the business/professional market that SolydXK is aiming for, a simple numbering scheme (such as following Debian Stable release numbers and/or ISO release dates) is the most appropriate.

But hey, that's just me. I've never been very impressed with the naming conventions the various distros use - I mean, Utopic Unicorn? Really? (Although I must admit to having a soft spot for one particular release name, from about 15 years ago: the humble Debian Potato :mrgreen:.)

jbeukelman

Postby jbeukelman » 02 Jun 2015 03:41

tardy wrote:Personally, I think that for the business/professional market that SolydXK is aiming for, a simple numbering scheme (such as following Debian Stable release numbers and/or ISO release dates) is the most appropriate.
I think you're right. If another theme is chosen however, let's at least make sure the names are easily pronounceable. Rocks, Greek Myth, and Periodic Table are probably not the best choices :)

patzy

Postby patzy » 03 Jun 2015 07:58

jbeukelman wrote: ...let's at least make sure the names are easily pronounceable. Rocks, Greek Myth, and Periodic Table are probably not the best choices :)
Yep, I think gneiss is nice... :D

bas_otten

Postby bas_otten » 03 Jun 2015 08:29

Though I like the pretty names a lot, especially the 'rocks' suggestion, I would nonetheless vote in favor of a version number which is more plain/clean/professional in my opinion.

But isn't there is a problem in tracking the Debian version number, namely that the SolydXK ISO releases would get too rigidly tied to Debian planning cycles?

There can very well be more reasons to release a new stable SolydXK set of ISO's than just the Debian version number being changed. Think of configuration changes, installed package set, updates from the solydxk-repository, urgent issues that have shown up.

So I think we then should at least introduce a SolydXK related sub-version, like 8.1.0 and so on, from the start. Or... introduce our own versioning schema. For the upcoming release that could be 2.0, counting the the 201501 reversely as 1.0. What do you think?

Zill

Postby Zill » 03 Jun 2015 19:47

bas_otten wrote:... But isn't there is a problem in tracking the Debian version number, namely that the SolydXK ISO releases would get too rigidly tied to Debian planning cycles?

There can very well be more reasons to release a new stable SolydXK set of ISO's than just the Debian version number being changed. Think of configuration changes, installed package set, updates from the solydxk-repository, urgent issues that have shown up...
For a user already running SolydXK, new ISOs are irrelevant as their systems should be kept up to date via the normal apt processes. SolydXK main edition will always be nominally "locked" to Debian stable (with a few small exceptions).

The function of "new" ISOs is simply to ensure that a new user does not need to install months, or even years, of updates immediately after installing a new system. Accordingly, there is no need for specific SolydXK sub-versions as any resulting discrepancies between the current Debian build and the current SolydXK build are easily taken care of with a small apt upgrade following installation of the latest ISO.

belze

Postby belze » 03 Jun 2015 20:32

i voted for debian based version. This sounds to me the better idea.
You want to add another name, so i'd vote for "rock" where the hardest the better. That said, my distro #2 is siduction and i LOVE their naming scheme! :twisted:
-------

bas_otten

Postby bas_otten » 03 Jun 2015 21:18

Zill wrote: The function of "new" ISOs is simply to ensure that a new user does not need to install months, or even years, of updates immediately after installing a new system. Accordingly, there is no need for specific SolydXK sub-versions as any resulting discrepancies between the current Debian build and the current SolydXK build are easily taken care of with a small apt upgrade following installation of the latest ISO.
I don't believe it's true that the *only* updates on a new set of ISO's are the ones you get by a simple 'apt-get dist-upgrade'. There can be packages added and removed; quite a few examples there. There can be configuration changes; during the latest test-cycle I know there are some config things that have been optimized/cleaned. From an end-user perspective these are not necessarily very significant, but I think versioning should primarily be approached from the team's perspective, releasing stable ISO's, probably every 3 to 6 months. So, when Schoelje and the team decides to release new ISO's, suppose even just for the sake being dist-upgraded, would it then be no problem at all to use the *same* version number as the previous set, for as long as Debian has not moved to a new point-release? I personally think that would be confusing, or you'd have to add the release month along the version number as well, like it is done currently.

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 03 Jun 2015 21:54

bas_otten wrote: But isn't there is a problem in tracking the Debian version number, namely that the SolydXK ISO releases would get too rigidly tied to Debian planning cycles?
I don't think we need to be rigidly tied to the sub numbers for example 8.1. Anything that runs on Debian 8.0 should work on 8.1 and vise versa. So I think we could use our own sub numbering system. But it should be done in a manner that is not confusing with Debians.

Maybe we can choose to write out the Debian version; example SolydXK Eight. Hmm, that doesn't look as good written down as it did in my head. Maybe we could use hyphens to separate the Debian # from the SolydXK iso release.

Examples

a) SolydXK 8-060715 (assuming a month/day/year format of the iso with Debian prefix)

b) SolydXK 8-201506 (using the current numbering scheme of year/month with the Debian version for a prefix).

Or it could be even shorter

c) SolydXK 8-0615 (using Debian # followed by month and 2 digit year)

d) SolydXK 8-1506 (Debian # followed by 2digit year/month)

Using a hyphen between the numbers you could still differentiate between Debian updates as well; (ex SolydXK 8.1-201506). But I don't think that is necessary and the number starts to look cumbersome.

Including the day as in example a), allows for multiple changes in the month if something ever proves to be a problem and a new iso is needed immediatly after an iso release. You could also use example d and include the day at the end of the string if 2 isos were ever needed in the same month.

Example

e) SolydXK 8-1506.07 (Debian# - year/month/day)

Just a few ideas on how we could use the Debian number yet still include our own numbering system so we are not bound to Debians release schedule.

Zill

Postby Zill » 03 Jun 2015 21:58

bas_otten wrote:... So, when Schoelje and the team decides to release new ISO's, suppose even just for the sake being dist-upgraded, would it then be no problem at all to use the *same* version number as the previous set, for as long as Debian has not moved to a new point-release?
There should not be any significant changes in package functionality throughout the life of a Debian stable release. As such, dist-upgrading will not be required until changing to the next Debian release, i.e. Stretch - Debian 9. Until then, a simple "sudo apt-get upgrade" is all that is required to maintain both Debian and SolydXK systems.

disciple1964

Postby disciple1964 » 05 Jun 2015 05:36

Schoelja,

I put the following name in the hat. SolydXK Blue Waterfall or Sizzling Summer. I guess I'm tired of version names, constellations, Rocks or other names that really do not reflect a peaceful creation.

Lenovo T61P-6gigs-15.1Screen-250gig hard drive / Desktop: Quad core Intel Core i7-4790K CPU Kernel~3.19.0-49-generic x86_64 Mem~1621.5/15928.2MB HDD~1120.2GB
Registered Linux user 566308

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 05 Jun 2015 06:08

If you'd hear my creative vocabulary sometimes, you'd soon see that creating SolydXK is not always a peaceful process ;)

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 05 Jun 2015 11:40

Schoelje wrote:If you'd hear my creative vocabulary sometimes, you'd soon see that creating SolydXK is not always a peaceful process ;)
And I thought I was the only one that did that! :lol: I can't put in print here the things that come out when code doesn't work and there's no reason why it shouldn't. Let's just say that it'd turn the air blue for hours. :mrgreen:

jsalpha2

Postby jsalpha2 » 08 Jun 2015 17:15

There are only 17 kinds of Penguins, but many kinds of rocks. My pictures are not authorized for usage, stolen from Google.

A little larger
http://i.imgur.com/zhmqugA.jpg?1

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 08 Jun 2015 19:16

SolydXK Perfect Pebble. I don't think Ubuntu ever thought of that! Cool! 8-)

jsalpha2

Postby jsalpha2 » 09 Jun 2015 22:44

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 17 Jun 2015 21:30

Ok, guys. We have a little under 2 weeks of voting left. Keep voting and giving us ideas! As of my typing this, looks like Debian Version # is definitely looking like a winner.

palimmo

Postby palimmo » 29 Jun 2015 18:58

Still one day available to vote for!
Proud user of SolydK!

Dai diamanti non nasce niente, dal letame nascono i fior. http://aquilone.wordpress.com/

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 30 Jun 2015 22:33

Poll had ended. Looks like Debian Version # is the winner!

Of course it's up to Schoelje if this would be implemented and how.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to vote and put forth your ideas!

:clap:

Return to “Suggestions & ideas / Open Projects”