[CLOSED] Name the Next Release

Here is the place were the team and the community projects meet together. Help us to develop SolydXK projects or contribute your ideas for future releases.

What Theme Shall We Use for Naming?

Poll ended at 30 Jun 2015 20:00

Star Constellations
15%
Stars
4%
Planets and Galaxies
7%
Debian Version #
41%
Plants/Flowers
No votes
Robots
No votes
Rocks
22%
Something Else (Please post in this thread.)
11%

Total votes: 27

jbeukelman

Re: Name the Next Release

Postby jbeukelman » 01 Jun 2015 02:01

I like the stars idea, which could easily be expanded into other things like moons (io, ganamede) asteroids, planets, galaxies or any other astronomy related object. There's plenty to work with.

ilu

Postby ilu » 01 Jun 2015 08:32

MAYBL8 wrote:I know I voted already but after reading the post and thinking about it I would like to propose we use the names of characters in the Star Wars Movies.
No please don't. You might get sued. Please please be VERY careful with names. You have to check whether the name is already owned by someone. The risk might be small but if bad luck dressed in a suit comes our way ... you always loose in a law suit even if you win.

And yes I'm a spoilsport. :mrgreen:

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 01 Jun 2015 11:08

There is a distro named "Cylon Linux" (as I mentioned earlier). They aren't getting sued (not that I know of) and I really don't think they will.

Many things have names that are the same as sci-fi characters and infringement would be quite hard to prove. Many characters are actually named after other things (Cylon was a Greek exile who tried unsuccessfully to take over Greece in ancient times, and there is a City in USA named Cylon (no not Ceylon which is a country, iirc). Also there are companies named Cylon.

Now if you kept to a Star Wars theme with naming every release, that might constitute a pattern but it's a grey area. It'd be up to Schoelje to ultimately approve such a thing.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 01 Jun 2015 11:26

Considering that we try to target businesses and organizations with this product, personally, I wouldn't like the naming to be "nerdy" (if that is a word). In this context, using Star Wars names is not what I'd prefer.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 01 Jun 2015 11:40

I'm with you on that one Schoelje. :mrgreen:

ilu

Postby ilu » 01 Jun 2015 11:46

RavenLX wrote:There is a distro named "Cylon Linux" (as I mentioned earlier). They aren't getting sued (not that I know of) and I really don't think they will.
Many things have names that are the same as sci-fi characters and infringement would be quite hard to prove. Many characters are actually named after other things (Cylon was a Greek exile who tried unsuccessfully to take over Greece in ancient times, and there is a City in USA named Cylon (no not Ceylon which is a country, iirc). Also there are companies named Cylon.
Now if you kept to a Star Wars theme with naming every release, that might constitute a pattern but it's a grey area. It'd be up to Schoelje to ultimately approve such a thing.
I don't know whether the name "Cylon" has anything to do with Star Wars and whether it belongs to anyone (from what you said it looks like it doesn't). Just try naming a product "Darth Vader" and wait what happens ... or better - don't.

Anyway, do whatever you are willing to risk - dutch law will probably be most important in this case and I don't know much about it.

MAYBL8

Postby MAYBL8 » 01 Jun 2015 11:47

The only 2 os's that I am familiar with in a business is Microsoft and Apple.
I believe Microsoft names there releases based on year or just a number and Apple is using animal names.

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 01 Jun 2015 11:58

ilu wrote:I don't know whether the name "Cylon" has anything to do with Star Wars and whether it belongs to anyone (from what you said it looks like it doesn't). Just try naming a product "Darth Vader" and wait what happens ... or better - don't.
Cylons are the robots in the US TV show Battlestar Galactica.
ilu wrote:Anyway, do whatever you are willing to risk - dutch law will probably be most important in this case and I don't know much about it.
Actually, since the show was created in the US, it would be the US laws but then again as you say Dutch law as well. While a US company can sue someone overseas, whether they actually get anything enforced or not depends on whether the foreign country also will uphold the charges and award damages. Many will not. I'm not a lawyer or anything, but that is my understanding of it (which is not very much of an understanding, I admit). I only know enough US law to hopefully keep me out of trouble. :)

ilu

Postby ilu » 01 Jun 2015 12:39

Dutch law since that's where Schoelje lives. But the dutch might enforce US decisions. It's his risk if the site is registered under his name.

Although - I just looked through the site: You are named as team member (as are grizzler and ane). If I were a US company and thought my rights are violated I would consider sueing you. I don't know anything about US law though.

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 01 Jun 2015 13:48

ilu wrote:Dutch law since that's where Schoelje lives. But the dutch might enforce US decisions. It's his risk if the site is registered under his name.

Although - I just looked through the site: You are named as team member (as are grizzler and ane). If I were a US company and thought my rights are violated I would consider sueing you. I don't know anything about US law though.
I guess it would be up to the country of the web site owner to enforce things. Also, Grizzler, Ane and I are just team members but we're not site owners. We are just volunteers who help out Schoelje. I don't think you (meaning a company, etc. as I know you wouldn't want to sue us anyway :) ) could sue a volunteer unless the volunteer themselves was causing the infraction (and not the whole site) and then you'd have to prove that Schoelje wouldn't do anything about it (which I know he would do something if any of us, team included, violated legalities of his or our respective countries).

Anyway, the legal thing is drifting a bit off topic. I think we can safely establish that we should try to avoid using very common unique names/themes that could possibly be copyright.

I would go with Stars but I voted Robots (I'm sure we can find some that don't infringe anyway).

palimmo

Postby palimmo » 01 Jun 2015 14:30

The majority is voting just for SolydXK 8.1 ?
Sad democracy! :mrgreen:

E.g. It would be definitely more exciting
SolydXK 8.1 Hydra
or just
SolydXK Hydra
SolydXK Herculus
SolydXK Sagitta
etc.
etc.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/88_modern_constellations

:lol:
Proud user of SolydK!

Dai diamanti non nasce niente, dal letame nascono i fior. http://aquilone.wordpress.com/

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 01 Jun 2015 15:52

There's still a whole month of voting left, so votes could change. You never know! :)

jdhedden

Postby jdhedden » 01 Jun 2015 16:22

In keeping with the 'Solyd' part of the name, I propose we use types of rock, especially metamorphic rocks as they tend to be unusually hard. For example, 'granite', 'gneiss', 'slate', 'schist', 'kimberlite', etc..
Jerry : SolydX / Siduction / Liquorix Kernel / Dell XPS 8700 / NVIDIA GeForce GT 635

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 01 Jun 2015 16:59

That's a very clever idea! [Edit: We now have a poll selection for "Rock".]

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 01 Jun 2015 17:31

Bah! I just wanted to add another option to the poll, assuming that it would leave the current votes intact...but no!
So sorry, you'll have to vote again :oops:

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

wildman

Postby wildman » 01 Jun 2015 17:37

I vote for rock. It is in keeping with the Solyd theme.
Wildman
May the Source be with you.

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 01 Jun 2015 18:27

That's ok. We didn't have many votes anyway.

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 01 Jun 2015 18:45

Although I like the play on names (SolydXK Granite etc) of naming the distro after rocks, I prefer my OS to just use numbers. That way I know which release is which. No need to research a distro to see what the newest release is or what the name of the release is that I am using if I need help. I like the idea of using Debians numbering system. That way you know exactly which version of Debian you are compatible with.

palimmo

Postby palimmo » 01 Jun 2015 18:47

Fargo wrote:Although I like the play on names (SolydXK Granite etc) of naming the distro after rocks, I prefer my OS to just use numbers. That way I know which release is which. No need to research a distro to see what the newest release is or what the name of the release is that I am using if I need help. I like the idea of using Debians numbering system. That way you know exactly which version of Debian you are compatible with.

we can use both. number and name.
Proud user of SolydK!

Dai diamanti non nasce niente, dal letame nascono i fior. http://aquilone.wordpress.com/

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 01 Jun 2015 19:07

palimmo wrote:
Fargo wrote:Although I like the play on names (SolydXK Granite etc) of naming the distro after rocks, I prefer my OS to just use numbers. That way I know which release is which. No need to research a distro to see what the newest release is or what the name of the release is that I am using if I need help. I like the idea of using Debians numbering system. That way you know exactly which version of Debian you are compatible with.

we can use both. number and name.
Yeah I thought about that. It might be OK to do it that way as long as the official name is the number and that is what is shown on the distro and referred to in the forums for help. I'm just trying to keep things simple for a new user coming with questions.

I'll admit that one other thing I like about using rocks for a name is that you could give homage to the nick name in the final release without ever using the name by using the rock its named after as the wallpaper image. For example the granite wallpaper might look something like this:
http://www.torange.us/photo/2/13/Granit ... 420_79.jpg

Or Agate might be something like this:
https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=htt ... 38.jpg&f=1

Return to “Suggestions & ideas / Open Projects”