Trinity TDE : Back to the future or back to the past ?

Here is the place were the team and the community projects meet together. Help us to develop SolydXK projects or contribute your ideas for future releases.
Qwertius

Trinity TDE : Back to the future or back to the past ?

Postby Qwertius » 12 Aug 2015 09:52

I have been playing around with Trinity DE (desktop environment) on Q4OS, and I am wondering if there may be a future for TDE here ?

I hope I don't get shot down for asking : but it seems an interesting 'resurrection' or should I say 'revival' of the old KDE 3.5 setup.

Might it have a place within Solydxk ?

Just a thought.... :|

Q

kurotsugi

Re: Trinity TDE : Back to the future or back to the past ?

Postby kurotsugi » 12 Aug 2015 10:01

it depends on whether if we got a maintainer for that DE. as long as someone is willing to maintain the DE it can live as one of the community project :3

Qwertius

Postby Qwertius » 13 Aug 2015 05:51

kurotsugi wrote:it depends on whether if we got a maintainer for that DE. as long as someone is willing to maintain the DE it can live as one of the community project :3
Thank you for your reply.

I am not 100% sure what you mean, but will assume that you are referring to the requirements of setting up an in-house project : of how such a project is permitted and who in the end is ultimately responsible for its maintenance and upkeep.

Perhaps : you could be so kind as to explain or point me to what steps are required.

Thanks in advance.

Q

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 13 Aug 2015 08:14

yep...i was referring to someone who responsible to build the packages and maintain it. we call them "package maintainer". in general they need to build the packages, pack it as a *.deb file then upload it to the repo. he can either use his own repo or use solydxk repo but he'll need schoelje's permission to do that. if he's willing the package maintainer also could create a custom iso file and publish it as community project.

the good news is that schoelje and the solydxk.nlmunity tends to welcome these kind of project. it won't hard to gain permission from solydxk team.

anyway, do you have experience maintaining a package or know someone who's willing to maintain this DE?

Qwertius

Postby Qwertius » 13 Aug 2015 09:30

Thanks for the heads up.

Its been a long time since I have done such work (2009) so rusty is the operative word here.

But I am in no rush : its a learning curve that requires a bit of time. ( I am a slow worker ) : but pretty solid in the end.

Presently : its more a matter of time to spare, as well as awaiting the latest (final) updated TDE set-up for Jessie. (Deb 8)

Code: Select all

https://wiki.trinitydesktop.org/DebianInstall#For_Jessie_.28Debian_8.0.29
In the meantime; if other more experienced members want to put their hand up : then I would be grateful, as it will let me guage how much potential interest their might be in starting it up.

Thanks again.

Q

Zill

Postby Zill » 13 Aug 2015 10:00

Qwertius: As you are new here, you probably haven't read all the forum posts from the beginning. ;-) However, to summarise the current situation... SolydXK was originally conceived to have two Desktop Environments, XFCE and KDE, hence the name!

As the SolydXK team is very small, with most development work now being done by just two members (schoelje and grizzler), it is unlikely that they could produce another official SolydXK release based on Trinity DE.

However, as kurotsugi has explained, we do have the "Community Editions" which, as the name suggests, totally rely on the SolydXK users to produce and maintain their own "spin".

So, if you really want a Trinity DE version of SolydXK then go for it, produce an ISO and then contact schoelje to see if he will include it on the website. Of course, you would have to be able to maintain it to keep it current and provide support to users.

On a personal note, I fell out with KDE years ago and so I would not be able to help with this one.

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 13 Aug 2015 10:20

the trinity dev seems willing to build the package for jessie. there are some more works needed but when it finished instead of work from scratch you might could colaboratively works with trinity developer :3

Qwertius

Postby Qwertius » 14 Aug 2015 01:42

Guys.

Thankyou for your honesty.

Yes : I appreciate how small a work team can be... believe me... I found this out when I worked with Granular Linux. ( from memory I think at most there was only about 5 or 6 active members in the team )

The helping out at Trinity suggestion is one that I will look into.

Also Zill : I understand falling out with KDE etc. Happens to us all.

Not too delighted with the current KDE 4/5 development (hence my interest in Trinity) : & not too happy with Ubuntu for much the same sort of unwillingness to listen to its loyal users.

Cheers

Q

PS : Re The SolydXK name : I kinda figured it out a while back. ;)

Return to “Suggestions & ideas / Open Projects”