Keeping LibreOffice updated

Here is the place were the team and the community projects meet together. Help us to develop SolydXK projects or contribute your ideas for future releases.
Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Re: Keeping LibreOffice updated

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 04 Sep 2015 15:00

Of course, this is not a dictatorship. However, for the official ISOs (the not EEs) I will have to insure that SolydXK does deliver what it says it does: being a solid and secure operating system. This means that any changes (with considerable impact) that are not in line with Debian stable and do not concern security must have really very good arguments to be implemented in the ISOs. I emphasize that it's the impact of a non-security change and the increased risk of breakage is leading in the decision of implementing that change or not.

The EEs are a totally different story. These ISOs are community driven and thus the community decides democratically what to do with these editions. Logically, it's the project leader(s) that will initiate and give form to that process.

In this case, I think that letting the user decide whether or not he'd like to take the risk of installing the backported LO from the Welcome Screen is a very nice compromise.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

MAYBL8

Postby MAYBL8 » 04 Sep 2015 15:22

My sincere apologies also. I did not mean to offend anyone.
I love this distro and only want to make it better. That is all I am saying.
You guys are great and I am grateful for this distro.
I have been here since it started and have enjoyed it and all the ups and downs of being in this community.
Please don't think I was being mean in any sort of way.
I know we are using stable to minimize issues due to the fact that we don't have a big support staff.
I definately appreciate the EE editions that we have.
I wish I could contribute more to the effort. Unfortuantely I have a full time job that keeps me pretty busy and like everyone else family and outside other interests take up most of my "free" time.
I have learned a lot here and am grateful for all the knowledge gained here.
You guy can close this thread if you want.
I can mark it solved if you would like.
I am always monitoring the posts and try to help where I can.
Thanks
Dan

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 04 Sep 2015 15:26

Again, no apologies needed. The discussion is good and we're all adults here. A bit of passion in our lives does not hurt anybody :D

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 04 Sep 2015 16:15

umm....how should I put it. I'm not native english so perhaps i choose wrong vocabulary.

as I've said earlier it's not the first time someone feels offended by the way you promote 'stable' stuff. historically solydxk was based on testing and many of the core community are the 'enthusiast'. I'm just worried that it will repeated again. the old timer ones perhaps can see the reason behind your behaviour but new member mostly won't able to do that. my concern got bigger when an old timer like Dan responded like that, which means perhaps you've became too aggressive promoting the 'stable' stuffs. perhaps you need to stay down a lil bit and less agressive with those 'stable' stuff.

while it's true that solydxk is aiming for "stable and solyd system" but IIRC solydxk also aiming for "easy to use" and "better out of the box experience". adding newest LO from backport is easy and relatively safe. many other user will agree that they could do that without compromising the system stability. it should be similar with adding firefox and TB on top of debian stable which we already did for years. please not mistaken the case, since the case is greatly different with adding newest kernel or newest plasma.

as for debian manual, we know that it tends to be exagerrated. ex:
1. testing...isn't actually testing.
2. no efi support?
3. no support for newer hardware?
4. using debian comes with no warranty and perhaps will broke your system?

errr...no. that's not entirely true. those definitions comes since debian take the most conservative way to promote linux. if we strictly using debian's term we'll started to see other distro as evilish hell. that certainly doesn't seems right. I've been following debian's dev conversation for years and even debian insider doesn't strictly follow debian's term.

if you strictly follow debian's term...isn't it contradict with solydxk? your FF and TB are the latest version, aren't they? but...obviously...no. we didn't use newest FF and TB to broke your system. it was our decision to get an "easy to use" and "better out of the box experience" without compromising "stability". you need to see adding newest LO (and perhaps next other idea) as similar case with FF and TB.

...and don't worry. "stability" is always in our mind. Dan and other member won't suggest/support this idea if it will broke solydxk. :3 the suggestion was made because they have experienced it...and certainly because they _greatly love_ this distro as much as you.

no hard feeling...it's simply a friendly feedback from a fellow. I might could defend you, just like what I did on other day, in front of new user. but I'm afraid I can't do much when you started to clash with old timers.

@OP: sorry for hijacking the thread :3

let's back to the topic. personally i think schoelje's decision is an ideal one. are you satisfied with this decision?

as for @schoelje: I think we need to make a publication for this decision. perhaps now or later when we release a new iso. it should be good for our publicity :3

palimmo

Postby palimmo » 11 Sep 2015 23:09

libreoffice 5 available in backports.
Proud user of SolydK!

Dai diamanti non nasce niente, dal letame nascono i fior. http://aquilone.wordpress.com/

patzy

Postby patzy » 12 Sep 2015 04:19

I'm running LibreOffice 5 from the backports on my old updated 32bit.
It's going well, no troubles found yet. :)

I was under the impression that if it was in the backports it was counted as stable. :?:

Testing using 32bit SolydK
Pentium Dual CPU E2220 2Gb memory
Geoforce 8400 using Nouveau driver

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 12 Sep 2015 05:32

backport is part of debian stable release (as an optional-separated-additional repo) so yes...anything appear in backport should be stable enough for daily use. on most cases the package was taken or rebuild from a package in testing so the stability would be on par with testing.

Return to “Suggestions & ideas / Open Projects”