What is SolydXK?

Here is the place were the team and the community projects meet together. Help us to develop SolydXK projects or contribute your ideas for future releases.
grizzler

Re: What is SolydXK?

Postby grizzler » 16 Sep 2015 06:39

Fargo wrote:It would be nice if backports could be enabled for one instance only and then automatically disabled to prevent leaving them enabled during a system update.
That's more or less how it works. It's enabled by default, but because its priority is set at a very low value, it's never automatically considered during upgrades. You have to select it by using apt-get's -t option to install a package from backports: http://backports.debian.org/Instructions/#index3h2
Which brings me to a question. I was recently working on my father in laws SolydK system and noticed he had backports enabled. I didn't remember enabling them. Does SolydK come with them enabled?
Yes: http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1529
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

cx405

Re: What is SolydXK?

Postby cx405 » 20 Sep 2015 17:09

I just leave this here.

Debian Testing is currently broken, partially due to GCC 5 transition, partially due to incomplete KDE KF5 stack.
I was using KDE and my test system simply broke, conflict between kwin-x11/-wayland and libkdecorations*.

After installing apt-listbugs I was able to filter even more packages with outstanding bugs and apt managed to partial-upgrade the KDE.

After a week, just a few days back, it still managed to break - now the KDE desktop in unusable in Testing.
On official Debian IRC, Testing is never expected to work and Stable+Backports is suggested for the system which is expected to be reliable.

Here you have it. Obviously, I stick to this opinion.
I used Testing for more than three years, as well as Sidux (Debian Sid) for good a year on my desktop systems.
disclaimer: solydxk user and fan, I am *not* affilated with solydxk project. experienced in - ubuntu, debian, gentoo, calculate, archlinux, linux mint, rhel. my posts are mine. no guarantee for fitness to particular use case.

Return to “Suggestions & ideas / Open Projects”