Drivers for Brother Printers

Here is the place were the team and the community projects meet together. Help us to develop SolydXK projects or contribute your ideas for future releases.
ww777

Drivers for Brother Printers

Postby ww777 » 09 Sep 2015 06:14

As a novice with Linux it would be great to see Brother Printers and any of the other major printer brands set up for easy or automatic install. My HP LaserJet connected up straight away with nothing to do at all which is great, but I need the Brother printer for A3's that I work with and don't have the knowledge or loads of time to spend trying to set it up.

I like this distro and the philosophy driving it and would like to stay with it for work and personal use... just frustrating trying to get the printer going which is a necessary part of the overall set-up.

ilu

Re: Drivers for Brother Printers

Postby ilu » 09 Sep 2015 11:32

Sadly this is not up to us or up to the folks at debian. Printer manufacturers decide how to provide their drivers. Same applies to every other hardware driver. There is nothing the comunity can do about that - except maybe change your buying decisions. I would not do so though because brother printers are excellent value for money in every regard and you have to do the install process only once.

That aside brother has a script which makes iinstallation very easy. It's a bit hidden on the site. See http://forums.solydxk.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4104.

ww777

Postby ww777 » 12 Sep 2015 07:49

Thanks for that. I reloaded drivers on to my laptop (32 bit) using the Brother installer and it worked! I had actually done this twice before and it hadn't worked. The only thing I did different this time was I didn't un-install the drivers before trying again but just re-installed. It seems to be printing fine but I can't scan as I get the message: Failed to open device 'brother 4: bus1; dev1: invalid argument.

ilu

Postby ilu » 12 Sep 2015 13:22

Return to “Suggestions & ideas / Open Projects”