[Asked & Answered] Pale Moon & Fossa Mail

Here is the place were the team and the community projects meet together. Help us to develop SolydXK projects or contribute your ideas for future releases.
JSladek

[Asked & Answered] Pale Moon & Fossa Mail

Postby JSladek » 20 Dec 2015 19:31

Any chance of these being added to the Solyd repository?

Jim

ilu

Re: Pale Moon & Fossa Mail

Postby ilu » 20 Dec 2015 22:58

Since this is a debian-based distro, programs need to be added to debians repositories.
There don't seem to be debian packages for Palemoon and Fossa Mail (see https://packages.debian.org/), so if you want to see them in the debian repos you will have to contact the developers of those programs. But since they certainly know about debian, there will be a reason why their programs are not in the repo. There are hints about animosities here: https://packages.debian.org/search?suit ... words=pale. Anyway, best place to ask is in their forums.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 21 Dec 2015 08:02

In addition to Ilu's remark: maintaining packages is a lot of work. That's why I limit the packages in our repository to those I've developed myself and a few more that are needed to construct the ISOs.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

MAYBL8

Postby MAYBL8 » 21 Dec 2015 11:45

I already run Pale Moon on my system. It is found in their own website . What would it take to put it in the repository?
I use the Pale Moon installer to install it and update it.
It is a manual update process. It doesn't update with apt-get update.
http://linux.palemoon.org/

JSladek

Postby JSladek » 21 Dec 2015 13:35

Schoelje - understood. The question was worth a shot.

Ilu - I have seen some of the comments, though I don't agree with them. I haven't tried asking Debian, but I suspect it's an act of futility. There are Debian distros that have the programs, but they are in their own repo.

MAYBL8 - Pale Moon installer works very nicely and FossaMail is download, unzip and install. Neither is difficult. Just a matter of finding out when the updates are available. I'm okay with it.

Zill

Postby Zill » 21 Dec 2015 16:55

MAYBL8 wrote:I already run Pale Moon on my system. It is found in their own website . What would it take to put it in the repository?
See Debian Wiki article "How do I add a new package to the archive?"
MAYBL8 wrote:I use the Pale Moon installer to install it and update it.
It is a manual update process. It doesn't update with apt-get update.
I suggest that "manual updating" is not desirable for a distro such as SolydXK that relies on the Debian package management system to keep software current. While an individual user could do this if they wished, I think that if SolydXK made available software needing to be manually updated with other packages updated via apt-get this would cause great confusion for many users.

ilu

Re: [Asked & Answered] Pale Moon & Fossa Mail

Postby ilu » 21 Dec 2015 17:39

Zill, it has to be updated manually because it is not in any repo we regularly have acces to. If it was in a repo apt would handle the update.

And I've read that it is in the mepis repo. Mepis is debian-based so no ppa. If you know your ways you could add their repo to the sources, just remember that it's not recommended and poses the risks of Franken-debians.

Zill

Re: [Asked & Answered] Pale Moon & Fossa Mail

Postby Zill » 21 Dec 2015 21:01

ilu: Thanks but I realise that Pale Moon is not currently in the Debian repos which is why I provided the Wiki link about how to achieve this.

I don't believe that SolydXK should include any default repos other than Debian or our own SolydXK repos. Of course, all users are free to add as many third-party repos as they wish. However, as you have correctly pointed out, such FrankenDebians do carry high risks!

Return to “Suggestions & ideas / Open Projects”