install from latest SolydX iso

Here is the place were the team and the community projects meet together. Help us to develop SolydXK projects or contribute your ideas for future releases.
nbi

install from latest SolydX iso

Postby nbi » 28 Jan 2016 21:07

Great job! :clap:

Made a bootable USB using Unetbootin. No issues.

The installer seems to have a minor grub glitch. By default the first partition is checked as a grub destination. As you might guess if you breeze through the installation you'll be puzzled on the next boot why your grub change didn't "take". That's because grub was installed in the first partition rather than the beginning of the disk as it should have been. Of course it's easily fixable by just paying closer attention and checking the correct grub destination box. Nevertheless I think the default should be changed.

Other than that just a few recommendations to improve the install:

1. Ditch lightdm & plymouth. Not needed and don't add value. Yanking this fluff is one of the first things I do.
2. Make a well known plain vanilla display manager the default: xdm (GCD, it's easier to move away from this than towards it)
3. Keep UFW turned off by default. It can always be enabled later. Most users are installing on a computer that's already part of a firewalled network.
4. A (better) pre-built XFCE panel would be nice. I think many users spend a good percentage of their time in desktop customizations. A panel loaded with common app launchers, workspace switcher, window menu, notification area, and date/time would be a good place to start. It's a lot easier to trim things from the panel rather than build one up from scratch.

Thanks for listening. Keep up the good work! :clap:

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Re: install from latest SolydX iso

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 29 Jan 2016 08:37

Moved to "Suggestions & Ideas".

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

ilu

Re: install from latest SolydX iso

Postby ilu » 31 Jan 2016 12:49

nbi wrote:
1. Ditch lightdm & plymouth. Not needed and don't add value. Yanking this fluff is one of the first things I do.
I totally agree on plymouth, has no real use and was the cause of problems on 2 installs for me. Can't comment on lightdm though because I don't know what would happen without it.
nbi wrote:2. Make a well known plain vanilla display manager the default: xdm (GCD, it's easier to move away from this than towards it)
I would like to understand this better. What display manager do we have and why would GCD be better? IMHO the main goal of SolydX should be to use as few ressources as possible but still provide a usable system.
nbi wrote:3. Keep UFW turned off by default. It can always be enabled later. Most users are installing on a computer that's already part of a firewalled network.
If by this you mean the router's NAS that might be true for most countries but not for all.
nbi wrote:4. A (better) pre-built XFCE panel would be nice. I think many users spend a good percentage of their time in desktop customizations. A panel loaded with common app launchers, workspace switcher, window menu, notification area, and date/time would be a good place to start. It's a lot easier to trim things from the panel rather than build one up from scratch.
Generally I would hate to have any part of the screen "loaded" with anything. That's for me to decide. Apps go in the menu, not the panel.
nbi wrote:workspace switcher, notification area, and date/time
... and volume switch. I agree on these though but they were there on my SolydX installs. Did they get removed lately? Maybe I added the workspace switcher myself.

Return to “Suggestions & ideas / Open Projects”