Shrinking SolydX ISOs

Here is the place were the team and the community projects meet together. Help us to develop SolydXK projects or contribute your ideas for future releases.
jenom

Re: Shrinking SolydX ISOs

Postby jenom » 29 Mar 2016 14:41

At first is big thanks Schoelje to responding a request and building a smaller ISO.
I am interested to see a smaller release as long as it has a working xfce desktop, and full support for video, wifi, sound and bluetooth adapters
I personally have a 1 and 2 GB USB memory stick, I am using those to try out some live distros, like Solydx , Linux Lite, Lxle, Siduction, Lmde
Anything does not fit on a 2GB, I consider it "bloated" and not going to download.
After HD install, I use "bleachbit" to reduce my install size, unnecessary localization files take up around 300 Mb-----I just need English !
Also "smtube+smplayer" is a nice package to have, and I usually uninstall the another media player (VLC) ---no need to have both of them !
Not sure about to have LO by default, with LO5 tried to open a latest MS Office doc and it could not do it ...maybe OO could handle it ?

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 29 Mar 2016 17:53

Just to be clear: use the iso for your own project or even a CE. I will not maintain another ISO.

I've created the SolydXK Creator so that anybody can do this.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

jenom

Postby jenom » 29 Mar 2016 23:55

thanks for a crystal clear statement, "SolydX Lite" is not coming !
"anybody can do this".......very optimistic, I think it is not that easy

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 30 Mar 2016 03:42

xfce4 is a metapackage. you can safely remove it. IIRC, solydxk creator need a solydxk iso. if you want to create a custom iso then trimming down an iso is the only method you have. though, it seems to be tricky for you to know "what" to remove. else, you can install a vanilla debian then solyd-fying it. simply add the solydxk repo then install solydxk packages and your prefered apps. don't mind the tools. instead of it simply create a list of your prefered apps which missing from the vanilla debian.

jenom

Postby jenom » 30 Mar 2016 14:46

simply add the solydxk repo

I am experiencing an issue in EE adding repos in synaptic with SETTINGS....REPOSITORIES
in this version it does not open, maybe something in PREFERENCES needs to be changed ?
thanks

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 31 Mar 2016 17:26

I'd suggest to directly edit /etc/apt/sources.list file to edit the repo list. most of EE user is suggested to use terminal interface as much as possible.

Return to “Suggestions & ideas / Open Projects”