FF/TB addons

Here is the place were the team and the community projects meet together. Help us to develop SolydXK projects or contribute your ideas for future releases.
ilu

FF/TB addons

Postby ilu » 24 Mar 2016 22:48

I installed another SolydX machine for relatives and stumbled upon preinstalled FF/TB addons.
In my understanding preinstalled addons are necessary where security or basic usability is concerned. Everything else should be left to the user.
That being said Lightning has to be there and I can understand why you included the Import/Export tool in TB. But:

1. Since the language packs come from the repo, Simple Language Switcher is not necessary in FF and TB anymore. Why should an addon download language packs from Mozilla if they are available in the repo?
2. On the new install FireTray did nothing I could see. Maybe I'm blind or bug? No need for a tray anyway.
3. Whether somebody likes images to be shrinked or not is very much up to personal taste. This addon does things many users would not want.

Every additional addons brings additional risks: the developer might decide to invade privacy or sell it to someone who does (we've had that), custom behaviour might confuse the user and the machine slows down. Especially TB is already annoyingly slow. I can remove non-vital addons myself but I think it'd be better if on XFCE (which is the wm of choice for older machines) bloat would be avoided for everyone.

Zill

Re: FF/TB addons

Postby Zill » 24 Mar 2016 23:23

+1

IMHO, Firefox and Thunderbird basically work fine out-of-the-box. I would be happier if it was left to each user to install add-ons of their choice, rather than have some pre-installed as part of the distro.

However, when Debian do start to include Firefox and Thunderbird packages, (probably starting with Stretch), there should be little point in SolydXK having different packages in future.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 25 Mar 2016 08:35

I'm not going to debate personal preferences.
If you don't like it, just remove it: firefox-solydxk-adjustments, thunderbird-solydxk-adjustments

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

vacnt

Postby vacnt » 01 Apr 2016 20:26

Zill wrote:+1

IMHO, Firefox and Thunderbird basically work fine out-of-the-box. I would be happier if it was left to each user to install add-ons of their choice, rather than have some pre-installed as part of the distro.

However, when Debian do start to include Firefox and Thunderbird packages, (probably starting with Stretch), there should be little point in SolydXK having different packages in future.
Firefox is already available from the Debian Mozilla repository, it used to be Iceweasel only.
http://mozilla.debian.net/

Return to “Suggestions & ideas / Open Projects”