Replace Software Manager with Gnome Software

Here is the place were the team and the community projects meet together. Help us to develop SolydXK projects or contribute your ideas for future releases.
HighFive

Re: Replace Software Manager with Gnome Software

Postby HighFive » 02 Sep 2016 01:32

Maybe it's just because I've gotten used to it, but I prefer Synaptic, and/or apt over all of the fancy Software managers. I do understand the need for something smooth and pretty for those trying to transition from other OSes to Linux. But, all I ask is that you don't remove Synaptic from SolydXK, and *please* don't cripple it like Mint did.

Having said that though, I do use the Update Manager. I like the applet sitting in the Panel, informing me of available updates. But when I want to look for an app to install, I almost always go to Synaptic. Sometimes, I'll use "apt-cache search xxx" if I want to find various versions of an app, like vim for instance.

Just my $0.0000002 cent USD opinion.
SolydK-9 64bit, Lenovo X140e 11.6 inch netbook.

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 02 Sep 2016 15:10

HighFive wrote:Maybe it's just because I've gotten used to it, but I prefer Synaptic, and/or apt over all of the fancy Software managers. I do understand the need for something smooth and pretty for those trying to transition from other OSes to Linux. But, all I ask is that you don't remove Synaptic from SolydXK, and *please* don't cripple it like Mint did.

Having said that though, I do use the Update Manager. I like the applet sitting in the Panel, informing me of available updates. But when I want to look for an app to install, I almost always go to Synaptic. Sometimes, I'll use "apt-cache search xxx" if I want to find various versions of an app, like vim for instance.

Just my $0.0000002 cent USD opinion.
Oh yeah, exactly. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the other software managers being there for new users, but I always use synaptic. Interestingly, I have a friend that recently switch to Kubuntu from SolydK and the first thing he did was install Synaptic. Its just a strait forward program that gives you what you needed.

I also like the update manager. I never open anything else for an update unless there was a problem.

rijnsma

Postby rijnsma » 11 Sep 2016 13:11

Schoelje wrote:I've re-read this topic after a few weeks of absence and I must say that I really like the discussion.

Although Synaptics has similar functionalities, the current Software Manager is there for the new-to-Linux users that could use a little help with choosing the right software for their needs.
Why are descriptions in Solyd-Synaptics (very) short? :)

rijnsma

Postby rijnsma » 11 Sep 2016 13:12

rijnsma wrote:
Schoelje wrote:I've re-read this topic after a few weeks of absence and I must say that I really like the discussion.

Although Synaptics has similar functionalities, the current Software Manager is there for the new-to-Linux users that could use a little help with choosing the right software for their needs.
SolydX still working fine! ;)
Why are descriptions in Solyd-Synaptics (very) short? :)

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 14 Oct 2016 16:48

I've recently been looking at some other desktop options. I really like XFCE and I like Budgie too. Playing around with them I can see the appeal of the gnome software center. Maybe I have let my bias against gnome sway me too much. But I still wonder if using the gnome software manager would bring in to many gnome libraries for SolydK. And even after all of that, my preference is still Synaptic.

rijnsma

Postby rijnsma » 14 Oct 2016 17:11

But why are the descriptions so short in Synaptics? Or is that only here? :)

Zill

Postby Zill » 14 Oct 2016 20:19

rijnsma: I have just compared the descriptions of four (random!) packages using the terminal command "apt show", the Synaptic Package Manager and the SolydXK Software Manager:

Code: Select all

roger@dino:~$ apt show firefox thunar synaptic libreoffice-calc | grep Description
Description: The Firefox web browser
Description: File Manager for Xfce
Description: Graphical package manager
Description: office productivity suite -- spreadsheet
Descriptions from each package manager are apparently identical.

Have you any examples of packages where there is a difference?

p.s. "Synaptics" is a touchpad so I guess you actually meant the "Synaptic" package manager.

rijnsma

Postby rijnsma » 14 Oct 2016 20:57

Linux Lite 2.8, PCLinuxOS Mate, Xubuntu, Mint 17: descriptions in Synaptics of the packages are more than one line.
In Solyd it is one line of text. No worry, one can view the site of the application, but it made me curious. :)
When I use an other package manager like 'Smart' or 'Software Manager' it is the same.

Return to “Suggestions & ideas / Open Projects”