Accessing remote filesystems via ssh or sshfs or gvfs

Here is the place were the team and the community projects meet together. Help us to develop SolydXK projects or contribute your ideas for future releases.
Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Re: Accessing remote filesystems via ssh or sshfs or gvfs

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 28 Jul 2016 20:34

I'm getting confused.
Is this a discussion about including sshfs as default in SolydX, SolydK or both or is this about access problems using sshfs?

Also, using sshfs with Thunar has no benefits. It's still using sftp. Or perhaps I'm missing something.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

ilu

Postby ilu » 28 Jul 2016 21:30

1. The discussion about sshfs got derailed (but was nontheless educative for all parties involved :D ) and has in fact nothing to do with thunar.
As I understand it, sshfs is necessary for mounting a remote filesystem, not for just accessing it. Whether mounting is necessary depends upon what the user wants to do and what tools the user chooses. If sshfs is not present in the system the error message can be generic (same message if firewall is in the way or ssh server misconfigured) so I thought sshfs should be included in X and K. In short, as Kurutsugi said: better ootb experience. If I understood correctly, nobody had any objections.
Same applies to exfat, see other thread.

2. Kurotsugi also mentioned that both systems (X and K) miss several network manager components that are necessary for VPN configuration. This was triggered by another support issue but has obviously nothing to do with sshfs. I lack experience in that area so I don't know.

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 29 Jul 2016 00:04

my previous post were not about sshfs. it's rather to solve the issue mentioned here viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6516#p61816

trinidad

Postby trinidad » 19 Sep 2016 15:51

Wow you guys are really going around the bend here.

1) sftp://IPv4 with Thunar then close it leaving the volume mounted. Open Double commander and find the gvfs and you can fly through file transfers.

2) For remote secure shell use ssh and keys with Remmina. Lightening quick.

3) I do this all regularly with wifi, infrastructure or ad hoc* (big band width with ad hoc), depending on circumstances.

4) It all works flawlessly on SolydX.

5) Just as good, and just as fast cross platform with Samba in Windows 10. same Thunar praxis, just smb://IPv4. Double Commander in Windows 10, or Double Commander in Windows 10 bash, and Double Commander in SolydX. Use them all at once, and added ext2fsd to Windows to access Linux partitions on dual boot Windows/Linux OSs. Pull files from Linux to Windows to Linux.

6) Remmina remote desktop also works flawlessly SolydX to Debian, SoldyX to Linux Lite, using SSH tunnel, infrastruture or ad hoc, Solydx to Windows 10 ad hoc. You can pretty much do anything you want.

7) There are no real system issue with SolydX and remote file systems I have ever encountered. Works great, Maybe your praxis is a little off.

8) The file transfer subsystem for ssh is sftp.

TC
You can't believe your eyes if your imagination is out of focus.

trinidad

Postby trinidad » 20 Sep 2016 21:53

The link below is the screen shots of all this in action.

http://imgur.com/a/XAK06

Image 1) Hacked LXDE desktop and openbox wm to look like SolydX and run from bash on Windows 10 using RDP from my SolydX laptop. Note the toolbars. The wide gray band at the top is the Remmina toolbar. The second narrow dark panel is the SoldydX xdg toolbar running in bash on Windows 10. The lower dark toolbar is the Windows 10 toolbar. The light gray toolbar at the bottom is my SolydX laptop. Once this all loads, and Windows gets a handle on the page filing it works much faster on RDP than it does in bash on the Windows desktop. The way I have it setup the bash GUI does not appear on the Windows desktop at all while working from RDP, less graphics drag that way. I start the Xming server from my SolydX desktop connected via RDP to Windows 10. In fact another user can work on the Windows computer while this is all going on, as long as they don't access bash, and be unaware I am connected.

Image 2) This is Double Commander running in bash on Windows 10 being used via RDP by my SolydX laptop. Note there is no DC icon in the Windows systray of the SoldydX desktop running in bash.

Image 3) This is Double Commander running in Windows 10, not in WSL bash, being used via RDP by my SolydX laptop. Note the DC icon in the Windows systray. You can run both at once.

Image 4) This is Links2 web browser running from the SoldyX desktop in Windows 10 bash.

Image 5) This is Links2 web browser running on the SolydX desktop in Windows 10 bash, and the MS Edge web browser running in Windows 10 at the same time. Note the Edge icon in the Windows syetm tray.

Image 6) This is Leafpad and Gvim running in bash on the SolydX desktop in Windows 10.

I've done all this because my work, retired now kinda, is private multiple often cross platform device networking setups, and it is often so much easier to do this remotely from my SolydX laptop, or Linux Lite depending on the situation. I wanted the bash GUI to produce a SolydX or Linux Lite look depending on specific customers, and LXDE almost worked decently, so I trimmed it down, and added the SolydX or Linux Lite graphics by need. I generally use the Linux Lite laptop for Linux ad hoc wifi connections to Windows, say when I'm in a specific office, and the SolydX laptop for the DHCP connections. Using RDP allows me to keep track of customers configurations and change them remotely when there are problems.

TC

ilu

Postby ilu » 21 Sep 2016 08:00

Thank you for reporting your solution. After my initial try with spaceFM I figured out more or less the same solution wih Double Commander (although spaceFM is still nice if you manage more than 2 connections at once). I will also have a look at remmina.
trinidad wrote:1) sftp://IPv4 with Thunar then close it leaving the volume mounted. Open Double commander and find the gvfs and you can fly through file transfers.
This is the point that bugs me. I have to enter the ssh connections into Thunar every time I use them which is annoying. Did you find a way to save ssh addresses as bookmarks or links in Thunar?

Another problem I still have: I can't log into one machine directly. I have to log into another one first and then from there into the target. Both machines are Debian servers without desktop. The Thunar/DC-gvfs solution does not work. Any ideas?

Zill

Postby Zill » 21 Sep 2016 09:34

ilu wrote:... This is the point that bugs me. I have to enter the ssh connections into Thunar every time I use them which is annoying. Did you find a way to save ssh addresses as bookmarks or links in Thunar?
Do you really need to use ssh?

I use NFS to connect all the machines on my LAN and Thunar happily saves bookmarks to these mountpoints so that connections are always totally transparent (no user action required).

trinidad

Postby trinidad » 21 Sep 2016 13:34

Zill,

Let me make sure I'm understanding you correctly here. Are you working from a GUI desktop, logging into to two different Debian servers, or are the servers stacked one over the other? In the first case, two separate servers, you just ssh from Remmina with keys, to a secure shell, both connections can be saved, enabling you to access a secure shell to work on either server one at a time. In the second case you would need bring up a secure shell to the lead server, and ssh between the servers with the same keys, and work from the shell Remmina produces. The two servers could use scp between them, and you could then use a file manger from the shell to handle files on your GUI incidence. I often create a similar situation when accessing dual boot Linux/Windows machines by adding ext2fsd to the Double Commander in Windows and copying files from Linux to Windows back to my Linux laptop again, and then reloading in the opposite direction. NFS works well for transfers, but it has limitations, when it comes to pulling and recompiling large files. I'd get the ssh with keys secure shell from Remmina in either of your cases, and work from the secure shell, and use scp if you need to (though you are DC so scp is probably not needed) Since there are no graphics involved other than terminal mods the secure shell would be the fastest for you. Good luck.

TC

Zill

Postby Zill » 21 Sep 2016 18:32

trinidad: I have a home LAN with several machines interconnected using ethernet and WiFi and networked via NFS so that each machine can be both a server and a client for the others. The NFS mounts for each machine use autofs so that they only mount as and when data transfer is requested.

The result is that each GUI file manager, as well as the terminal, can work with files on the "remote" machines as if they were part of the same "local" filesystem. This system is totally transparent to the user so can be used with or without a user present, including when running scheduled backups during the night.

Note that all my machines are pure Linux - no Windows here! Also, my LAN is totally on one site behind a NAT router and so NFS is fine even though this would not be appropriate for "remote" access via the internet where ssh would be essential. I have never had a need for, or used, Remmina.

trinidad

Postby trinidad » 21 Sep 2016 21:20

Sorry Zill. Reply was meant for ilu. My bad. I think her situation is different.

TC

ilu

Postby ilu » 21 Sep 2016 21:31

trinidad wrote:Zill,
This was me, not Zill.
trinidad wrote:Let me make sure I'm understanding you correctly here. Are you working from a GUI desktop, logging into to two different Debian servers, or are the servers stacked one over the other?
Those two are stacked. I need to go through the first server to administer the other. Access to the first is with password because I need to login from whatever machine is available. And they are both remote, so no nfs Zill.

I have 2 other servers which are local but I prefer to stick with ssh - too many different configs would only confuse me at this point :roll:

Thunar doesn't seem to have the possibility to save ssh-addresses.
I don't understand how remmina helps but I probably have to just install and try it. There is also no Windows involved at all.

trinidad

Postby trinidad » 21 Sep 2016 22:38

Yes. Remmina will save the ssh address. When selecting from the dialogue in the set up new connection window there is a drop down menu that offers the selection ssh-secure shell (NOT the ssh tunnel tab for VNC) You need only fill out and save that connection. This will bring up a secure shell of your first server upon connection and save the connection address. You'll figure it out fairly quickly. You can save as many different addresses as you want to connect to. Windows has nothing to do with it other than it can be used cross platform for Windows also, now that open ssh is available.

TC

ilu

Postby ilu » 23 Oct 2016 23:27

Trinidad, if you are still around: I tried your suggestion with remmina but it produces an error:

Code: Select all

kex error : no match for method mac algo client->server: server [hmac-sha2-512-etm@openssh.com,hmac-sha2-256-etm@openssh.com,umac-128-etm@openssh.com,hmac-sha2-512,hmac-sha2-256,hmac-ripemd160], client [hmac-sha1]
So remmina uses only ssh1? There were suggestions to upgrade to libssh 0.7 (they probably mean libssh-4?) but I would not like to let sid packages into jessie. Why is that a problem - I can ssh to that server fine in terminal. Any ideas why remmina can't?

trinidad

Postby trinidad » 26 Oct 2016 13:13

HI Ilu. Yes I'm out of town right now, and unfortunately I won't have access to a Solydx system until next week. Yes SSH differs between versions, .6 and .7 in that some cyphers are disabled in the mid version. However cyphers can be turned on because they are actually there, just turned off. You get the kex error because your cypher on the server is not the same as your client. Unfortunately I can't explain simply how to match them again in Remmina on Solydx without access to a Solydx system until next week. I know I did it without any SSH upgrade, I just forget which method I used in Solydx, other than to say I did not use blowfish. The server and the client must use the same algorithm.

TC

trinidad

Postby trinidad » 26 Oct 2016 13:45

Also while I think of it, I believe you wanted to know how to bookmark connections in Thunar. Below is how to do it in Linux Lite, but I believe Thunar works essentially the same in Solydx, as I have been using connection bookmarks in Thunar this way on both distros.

To begin open up Thunar on your Linux Lite (or Solydx) desktop. Click on >View in the upper window menu. Scroll down and highlight >Side Pane and from the menu that appears check the >box to the left of Shortcuts. Scroll down in the same menu and check the >box to the left of Show Hidden Files.

Now find the folder named .config and click on it to open it up. Next find the folder named gtk-3.0 and click on it to open it up. Click on the text file >Bookmarks that appears and it will open in Leafpad. On the first line below - computer:/// Drives - type in the connection you want to save in the following format examples, either- sftp://192.168.0.5 or- smb://192.168.0.5 putting each new connection on its own line below the other. When you are done adding your connections click on >File in the upper window menu, and scroll down and click >Save and your changes will be saved, then scroll down and click >Quit and Leafpad will close.

Now you can rename your connections that have appeared under Places in the side pane of Thunar from the GUI in Thunar with a simple method that allows upper and lower case character names. Right click on each connection in the side pane and select >rename and enter names, i/e, Mom’s PC, Kid’s PC, Camera, Security, or whatever your case may be.

You should now have all your connections named, and listed in your Thunar side pane. Now carefully right click on the divider >Places in the side pane and a menu will appear with >Devices >Places and >Network listed. Scroll to and highlight >Places and another menu will appear with a list of your places with check boxes next to them. To hide your connections for convenience in the case you have several connections and don’t want the clutter, (to make them not show up in the side pane) simply uncheck the boxes. To find them again in Thunar when you need to use them just right click on the >Places separator again, and go through the routine to raise the menu checking which connection you want to use.

TC

ilu

Postby ilu » 26 Oct 2016 17:24

This would be so great ... if it worked ... but it doesn't. On my system either Thunar gets those places from another config file or it doesn't show them.
Thunar shows under Places (rightclick included) only ~/Desktop, ~/Trash, ~/Downloads but the bookmarks file lists ~/Documents, ~/Downloads, ~/Music, ~/Pictures, ~/Videos (none of them except Downloads are present on my system). I removed all those places from ./conf/gtk-3.0/bookmarks but nothing happened in Thunar. Do we have any SolydX specific configuration there?

OT: I know it was meant to be nice to reference all the clicks but if you want me to edit ./conf/gtk-3.0/bookmarks you can just say so. :D

Edit: After some fiddling I managed to create a shortcut under "Places" by connecting to the ssh server which then shows up under "Network". By rightclicking it I was able to create a "Link" under "Places". This link was not reflected in ./conf/gtk-3.0/bookmarks, it's obviously stored somewhere else. I'll see whether this will survive a restart. And sadly it did not work with my smb connection.
But having stored the ssh connection is already gret so thank you!

Regarding remmina: I'd still be interested to get it working. You can see from the error message that the server supports different cyphers but remmina seems to support only sha1. I can't find any option in remmina to turn on sha2. There seems to be a general issue with remmina https://github.com/FreeRDP/Remmina/issues/983. The only solution given there is upgrading some libssh which we don't have using a ppa which we can't use.

xendistar

Postby xendistar » 26 Oct 2016 18:48

trinidad wrote:Also while I think of it, I believe you wanted to know how to bookmark connections in Thunar. Below is how to do it in Linux Lite, but I believe Thunar works essentially the same in Solydx, as I have been using connection bookmarks in Thunar this way on both distros.

To begin open up Thunar on your Linux Lite (or Solydx) desktop. Click on >View in the upper window menu. Scroll down and highlight >Side Pane and from the menu that appears check the >box to the left of Shortcuts. Scroll down in the same menu and check the >box to the left of Show Hidden Files.

<snip>

TC
It works for me, I listed my NAS in the bookmarked connections

I tried at first to do it directly like I have it set in fstab (the NAS mounts on boot up) but that failed so I just bookmarked the mount point and it is now listed. I am using the EE version of SolydX if that makes any difference

xendistar

Postby xendistar » 26 Oct 2016 18:53

ilu wrote:This would be so great ... if it worked ... but it doesn't. On my system either Thunar gets those places from another config file or it doesn't show them.
Thunar shows under Places (rightclick included) only ~/Desktop, ~/Trash, ~/Downloads but the bookmarks file lists ~/Documents, ~/Downloads, ~/Music, ~/Pictures, ~/Videos (none of them except Downloads are present on my system). I removed all those places from ./conf/gtk-3.0/bookmarks but nothing happened in Thunar. Do we have any SolydX specific configuration there?

<snip>
iLu, here is what my file looks like
thunar-config.jpg
thunar-config.jpg (28.81 KiB) Viewed 3119 times
All I did was add the last line

Zill

Postby Zill » 26 Oct 2016 19:07

ilu wrote:... After some fiddling I managed to create a shortcut under "Places" by connecting to the ssh server which then shows up under "Network". By rightclicking it I was able to create a "Link" under "Places". This link was not reflected in ./conf/gtk-3.0/bookmarks, it's obviously stored somewhere else.
FWIW, my Thunar NFS mountpoints are listed in ~/.gtk-bookmarks

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 26 Oct 2016 19:20

Ah, fun with bookmarks. I more or less fixed that when I started using Xfce. One of the fixes was to get rid of Thunar, but before I did that, this is what I discovered.

You need to make sure the files ~/.gtk-bookmarks and ~/.config/gtk-3.0/bookmarks are the same thing. Just symlinking ~/.gtk-bookmarks to ~/.config/gtk-3.0/bookmarks (or the other way around) should suffice.

Annnnd... ZIll beat me to it (I always take way too much time writing my posts... :lol: :roll: ).
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

Return to “Suggestions & ideas / Open Projects”