Forum design: Customize the "Post a new topic" page

Here is the place were the team and the community projects meet together. Help us to develop SolydXK projects or contribute your ideas for future releases.
ilu

Forum design: Customize the "Post a new topic" page

Postby ilu » 31 Dec 2016 16:31

Schoelje, would it be possible without too much hassle to customize the "post a new topic" page to include one sentence at the top like this:

Code: Select all

If you need help, please describe [b]exactly[/b] when and where the problem occurs and what does not work. If possible, include the terminal output of "inxi -FNzxx".
Just an idea for improvement - support works quicker if people were more precise in their descriptions.

Zill

Re: Forum design: Customize the "Post a new topic" page

Postby Zill » 31 Dec 2016 21:13

Good idea, ilu!

May I suggest that the "-r" option is also included in the inxi command so that we can see if the sources.list is messed-up? ;-)

SolydForEver

Postby SolydForEver » 01 Jan 2017 07:06

Idea is great, but could use a little tweaking (at least I think so).
The text should inspire people to investigate first, look for threads with the same problem before starting a new one, maybe google the error. If not found a satisfying answer a new thread can be created in which the poster writes down (at the start of the thread):
What is the problem?
What doe (s)he see, maybe add a picture of it.
What has (s)he done so far to find a solution, and what happened when doing that?
Your inxi -FNzxx line, but make sure to have a wide terminal to avoid chopped lines.
Trying the live CD to see if the problem occurs there as well.

I realize the text will be large and to make sure people read it, it should maybe be printed on a different colour background to stand out from the rest. Could be done with a picture. I've seen that on other forums as well, like with Manjaro. When you start a new thread there, the preview box shows text like this on a green background.

How about this? Is it something this forum can/will use?

xendistar

Postby xendistar » 01 Jan 2017 13:34

Does inxi come installed either on the live disk or the default install, I seem to remember having to install it it on mine?

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 01 Jan 2017 14:58

It's on all the ISOs.
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

SolydForEver

Postby SolydForEver » 01 Jan 2017 15:05

grizzler wrote:It's on all the ISOs.
Aha, a new year, a new picture.
Happy New Year Grizzler.

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 01 Jan 2017 15:39

My neighbour's cat peeking at a webcam... :lol:
He lives with me now.

Happy New Year.
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

ilu

Postby ilu » 01 Jan 2017 18:10

I'd keep the text very short, not as long as Solyd4ever proposed. There might be a link included that says: "If you don't really know what information we request, click here" which leds to a more detailed explanation for total newbies. A good idea actually.

Yesterday again Zill wasted time on trying to help someone who was running Mint not Solyd. And I led a guy in circles until he mentioned something that told me "skylake!". Sometimes we just forget to ask the same stuff: please explain exactly ... inxi ... code tags ... and it takes about a page until we get to the real problem.

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 02 Jan 2017 22:14

sounds like a good idea. I don't know if that's possible but if it isn't, we could adopt the idea on a banner or a sticky post which could be seen by all user.

though, I actually love to use _that message_ as a greeter. something like "Hi, please show us the result of...". I'm not so sure but it feels more human for me. the message could be used as good conversation starter.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 02 Jan 2017 22:19

As soon as there is consensus about the exact text I could probably add that below the "Post a reply" header of the post page.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

SolydForEver

Postby SolydForEver » 03 Jan 2017 20:39

Yes, I know what I suggested is a lot of text, but it is text people can read and as soon as they decide to start a new thread the text can disappear again.
I have seen similar in the Manjaro forum, where at the bottom of the page you get 2 windows:
the left one is the one you type your text in and at first in the right one you see threads appear with similar topics.
When you think your thread is different you can make the right field empty (by clicking the cross) and continue typing:

The text I would suggest is this:

Code: Select all

Before you post a new thread in which you ask for help please have a look at this first:
Have you searched the forum for similar threads?
Have you googled the error you get?

Did not find a satisfying answer? Then start a new thread here and ask for help, but not without:
a)  Open a terminal, make it wide to avoid chopped lines, and type: inxi -Fxzd
    Copy the outcome and paste it here between the code commands <code> code </code>
b)  What is the problem? 
c)  What do you see, maybe add a picture of it.
d)  What have you done so far to find a solution, and what happened when doing that?
How about that?

Return to “Suggestions & ideas / Open Projects”