New simple feature requests/ideas

Here is the place were the team and the community projects meet together. Help us to develop SolydXK projects or contribute your ideas for future releases.
edney

New simple feature requests/ideas

Postby edney » 25 Nov 2017 14:35

Hello there, i would like to see an right click option wich something like " run with nvidia bumblebee" to make it easier to run steam games and others with it!

Thats the only feature i miss, i just love your distro!

Also i would like to see spotify and discord on the main repos to install, i actually do use flatpak to install these things, would be wonderful to see flatpak pre installed on the next system version.

love ya! keep up with the wonderful work!

ilu

Re: New simple feature requests/ideas

Postby ilu » 26 Nov 2017 04:27

No idea about bumblebee, I'm the local AMD user.

Flatpak will be a topic of discussion in the future.

Spotify was in our repo, I'm not sure why it was removed. But I can't find a license on their site that would allow redistribution of their client, so the removal was the right thing to do.

Discord is not open source and has a proprietary license that forbids redistribution. It can't be included in Solydxk. Use https://riot.im/ istead. Or if you host your own stuff, use mumble.

Just to illustrate what kind of service discordapp.com is I cite from their TOS:
By uploading, distributing, transmitting or otherwise using Your Content with the Service, you grant to us a perpetual, nonexclusive, transferable, royalty-free, sublicensable, and worldwide license to use, host, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform, and display Your Content in connection with operating and providing the Service.
Spotify has exactly the same shit but I can't cite it because the f...g site doesn't allow me to access the english terms.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 26 Nov 2017 09:38

My answer to the Firefox suggestion is also valid here: "Remember that SolydXK is created with small businesses in mind. In that environment stability is preferred over the latest features." To ensure stability we keep SolydXK as pure Debian as possible. Only SolydXK specific software and open source software that is needed for the core-functionality is allowed.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 27 Nov 2017 01:27

nvidia bumblebee is a driver which means it will be used automatically if you have the proper hardware. if you want to run steam games, you'll need to install steam client first, then run the game from it.

Return to “Suggestions & ideas / Open Projects”