Finding lastest posts - Improving the FAQ

Here is the place were the team and the community projects meet together. Help us to develop SolydXK projects or contribute your ideas for future releases.
Redraw

Finding lastest posts - Improving the FAQ

Postby Redraw » 16 Apr 2018 14:38

Hello
Most Linux distros have pages and pages of really useful hints tips and ideas to help with almost any problem only thing is they are spread over many forums and that is what the search box is for
this one was found by chance , the facebook poll I found that because I was just browsing the forums at random otherwise never would have seen it and again found by chance
one would not type that into the search box ? = facebook poll , yeah right

if it's possible have a look at two examples of something you don't see often in Linux distro forums a "recent posts" panel
(( hope links work sorry if it don't might need help ) if not I have put the names in also)

first one is at " gimp learn.net "
https://www.gimplearn.net/index.php?sid ... 1b3a1b782d
about half way down the page there is a " Newest Post " panel

also this one at " gimp-forum.net " with the dash between the gimp and forum
and http://www.gimp-forum.net/ has at top of page in center a bell with Portal word next to it that is similar also

those panel/links on the two sites would and do keep the visitors and registered members staying a bit longer and in Gimp Learn there is a panel at the bottom of the page with links to similar topics not a bad idea if it's auto updated also keep the person on site longer
and in our case maybe another iso download/install/new member
how good would that be

These panels seem to be auto updated and seem to be a good idea and a good way of finding the new posts without having to go to each forum the large amount of pages can be off putting
and it keeps the topic active for a longer time so if a member is away interstate , overseas they still can catch up too
Not all visitors that includes registered members want to go through every forum some don't have the time to spare , I wonder how many more visitors and votes for the facebook poll would have resulted if there was a panel on the front page of the forum to find that poll in a panel something similar to new or latest posts and it was there for all to see
I hope those links work and what are some thoughts about this any good or not ?

ilu

Re: Finding lastest posts

Postby ilu » 16 Apr 2018 15:26

I'm not sure I understand you correctly but have a look at the "QUICK LINKS" in this forums top right corner. If you click on the "burger menu" there's a thing called "Active topics" which brings up the latest forum entries. You can customize the number of entries on the bottom of the resulting page. Very useful indeed. I couldn't do without it.

This information should be added to the FAQ under "Searching the forums". schoelje?

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 16 Apr 2018 15:28

I'm a bit too busy with the migration at the moment but can you edit the FAQ or don't you have the permission?

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

ilu

Postby ilu » 16 Apr 2018 15:29

I can't find any option to do that so probably no permission.

Redraw

Postby Redraw » 16 Apr 2018 15:50

I just posted a reply and somehow it's disappeared so I will redo it no worries
Thanks ilu for the quick reply Yes you got that's what I was sort of talking about, so embarrassed that I did not look at the burger, but a panel on the main page is what I was talking about ,that's cool Now I know where it is .

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 16 Apr 2018 15:56

I see that the FAQ is part of the phpBB forum but it can be edited.
If you could write me a text that would be great ;)

Unfortunately, I have to do things by hand because the mod to manage the FAQ will not work on the latest phpBB version.

SolydXK needs you!

ilu

Postby ilu » 16 Apr 2018 16:28

How can I find the latest new/unread/unanswered/active posts and topics?
The latest posts and topics can be retrieved by clicking the “Quick links” menu at the top of the board and choosing the appropriate item. "Active topics" usually works best to be kept informed. To configure the resulting page go to the bottom of the page and choose the time frame (days/weeks/months) you would like to see. There's also the possibility to subscribe to a news feed by clicking on "Feed" in the “Quick links” menu.
Any other improvements somebody could think of? I'll do a PR on github once we have decided about the necessary amendments.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Re: Finding lastest posts - Improving the FAQ

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 17 Apr 2018 07:41

I think we'll have to create our own FAQ. There was a mod to manage the FAQ but since phpBB 3.2 (current version of this forum) the mod doesn't function anymore and the maintainer is rather miffed that phpBB changed their base code: https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... pic/172486

We should ask ourselves: is it worth the effort?

SolydXK needs you!

ilu

Re: Finding lastest posts - Improving the FAQ

Postby ilu » 17 Apr 2018 12:25

I think we should keep the project FAQ and just report necessary changes back to upstream.

Starting from May 25 we'll have to adhere to the new EU-GDPR. This means several more documents with prominent links about consent and information. This will be a lot of work (which I have to do anyway for several other projects). I'll start a separate topic for that.

Return to “Suggestions & ideas / Open Projects”