Fusión

Here is the place were the team and the community projects meet together. Help us to develop SolydXK projects or contribute your ideas for future releases.
GGerson

Fusión

Postby GGerson » 10 Aug 2019 19:42

@Arjen Balfoort; ¿Have you considered the idea of joining the MX Linux group and taking out an MX-KDE? That way you wouldn't work alone and both distributions would benefit; Of course there are no selfishness.
Quien no teme preguntar... cada día aprende más. :clap:

ilu

Re: Fusión

Postby ilu » 11 Aug 2019 02:23

In my opinion not a good idea:
  • We do not only have KDE but also XFCE. MX already is a XFCE system, so no reason to have a second one.
  • I don't like the way MX is configured, that's why I stick with SolydX.
  • If you'd look a bit deeper into the architecture you'll see that MX/Antix are based on sysvinit instead of systemd (which presently causes them a lot of trouble).
  • They have their own repository, I prefer using debian repos.
  • Also I want a distro that is Europe-based - which MX is not.

nuts2u

Postby nuts2u » 11 Aug 2019 15:14

I think joining MX is a great idea.
#1 it will take a huge support load off of Arjen and his small support staff.
#2 Mx is based on Debian and uses the Debian repo's in addition to the MX repos...which means the SolydXK repos could be incorporated also if the merge into MX were to happen.
#3 The MX support group is quite large and the forums are very active you have an issue, the answer is usually forthcoming quickly on the forum....
#4 SolydXK is a rock solid distro...but (please do not take this the wrong way) the support staff is very knowledgeable but tiny compared to MX...If something were to happen to Arjen...that basically would doom SolydXK to the dustbin. To expect 1 administrator and a few support staff to support, debug, vet updates etc...on a growing user base is in my opinion not fair to the admin and support staff nor the users if something were to happen to one or two of the staff.

Again SolydXK is a fantastic distro...!!!!!

Liberalism is the art of standing on your head,
then telling everyone around you that they're upside-down.

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 11 Aug 2019 16:49

no one said that solydk will merged into mx. both distribution could stay alive. I'm not quite sure but this thread sounds like a personal invitation. it might be better if both of you keep it private

btw, yes. aside from technical side as ilu have described above, IMO both distro should live as different entities. though, no one ever said that solydk will merged into mx. collaborative projects are surely welcomed...but not merger :3

bin

Postby bin » 12 Aug 2019 05:35

MX and Solyd are two very different beasts.

Look at the range of issues raised on their forum and then compare with this one.

No contest.

nuts2u

Postby nuts2u » 13 Aug 2019 18:02

Whoa!!!!....settle down there little buckaroo"s....I was under the impression the was a discussion forum, a place to express one's idea's and/or suggestions.....I was in no way telling the 1 admin and his small support staff how to run their operation. I was merely expressing an opinion.....now I'm being told it sounds like a personal agenda...and to take it private????

What is next...smore's and hot chocolate....safe space with support animals......no more using gender pronouns??????

Good Grief.......

Liberalism is the art of standing on your head,
then telling everyone around you that they're upside-down.

ilu

Postby ilu » 13 Aug 2019 18:15

I very calmly explained why a fusion is technically not possible and thus not considered. You can be sure that we monitor the "distro market" and know whether there's any synergy possible anywhere.

And please always remember that for a lot of people English is not their first language. No need to get agitated.

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 14 Aug 2019 06:41

my bad...perhaps I should've clear. that part about taking it privately was for schoelje and ggerson...of course everyone may express his/her opinion here :3

as ilu said above, a fusion isn't possible yet but we still open for another form of collaboration

Return to “Suggestions & ideas / Open Projects”