Hello from a Dutch new user

New to SolydXK? This is the place to say "Hello"
fdpg1963

Hello from a Dutch new user

Postby fdpg1963 » 17 Nov 2017 09:06

Just started using SolidK. Have been using Mint for at least 5 years after abandoning MS Windows forever. Started with Cinnamon, switched to KDE Plasma later on which I like very much. Mint is dropping KDE while focusing on Cinnamon so I became a KDE refugee who started distro hopping. Tried KaOS (independent), fast but not enough software available for daily life yet. Tried Manjaro KDE (Arch based), beautiful, stable but Arch also lacks some practical software.

Well, SolidK seems to have advantages only, based on stable Debian which means incredible huge software application database and rock solid as it looks right now. Happy to see some good things of Mint like the Synaptic package manager which is the best for me. Only thing which is not clear to me yet how I can see if the kernel is up to date but I guess the automatic update system will take care of that.

And of course it's nice to run a Dutch distro if you are born in the Netherlands :-)

Kind regards, Folkert

Schoelje
Site Admin

Re: Hello from a Dutch new user

Postby Schoelje » 01 Dec 2017 13:15

Hi Folkert,

Welcome to our forum!
I hope you're still enjoying your SolydXK and if not don't hesitate to visit us here and post your problem.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 01 Dec 2017 13:51

fdpg1963 wrote:Only thing which is not clear to me yet how I can see if the kernel is up to date but I guess the automatic update system will take care of that.

Welcome to the forum and to the distro. I think you'll find the people here to be friendly, knowledgeable, and more than willing to help.

As for the kernel - as you noted, SoldyXK tracks Debian Stable so we will get all the security updates as they are published. Updates to the kernel will, IIRC, only be those that are security related. My understanding is that newer versions of the kernel are published to handle newer hardware. If a given kernel is working well for a given use case, there is little cause to upgrade to said newer version.

And, yes, the software updater (Discover) will facilitate the installation of the updated kernel(s).
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

fdpg1963

Postby fdpg1963 » 04 Dec 2017 18:13

Thanks for the warm welcome to the community. I have experienced already that people are very helpfull.
Kernel works fine, good to know that security updates are installed automatically.

And my laptop runs very stable with SolydK :-)

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 05 Dec 2017 11:57

fdpg1963 wrote:Kernel works fine, good to know that security updates are installed automatically.

Updates are not, by default, installed automatically*. Rather, they are automatically made available and a notification icon is displayed in task bar alerting you to their availability. It is your responsibility to actually install the available updates. The thought here is that system maintenance is performed on YOUR schedule not on an arbitrarily imposed schedule.

* Note: I've seen postings here/elsewhere (can't remember where) indicating that it is possible to set up automatic updates. I'm not sure it's a good idea, but it is possible.
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

Return to “Introduce yourself”