Hello from Amsterdam, the Netherlands

New to SolydXK? This is the place to say "Hello"
Sewedob

Hello from Amsterdam, the Netherlands

Postby Sewedob » 19 Sep 2013 06:58

After hopping from Ubuntu to Mint to Mageia to Manjaro in the recent years, we think we finally reached our end station. I searched for a distro that is easily maintainable, rolling release, up to date and beautifull, SolydK's got it all ! We will use SolydK for our small charitable foundation (5 people).

Thank you Arjen (and colleagues) for all your work and effort. When we are fully up and running I will suggest a donation.

Joost

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Re: Hello from the Netherlands

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 19 Sep 2013 07:05

Hi Joost, and welcome to our forum!

It is nice to see that SolydXK is used in your organization.
Could you tell us more about it?

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

EldreThe

Postby EldreThe » 19 Sep 2013 15:10

Hello Sewedob,

Welcome to our forums. Thank you for writing a missive to let us know your charitable foundation is using SolydXK. It's always good to hear. :)

Do you have any suggestions that could make SolydXK better for you and your orginization?
Best Regards

Eldre, The

Sewedob

Postby Sewedob » 19 Sep 2013 20:21

Hello Schoelje and EldreThe,

Since 20 years we support young children (mostly with behaviour problems) in Amsterdam (Indische Buurt). You can check out our (bit outdated) website for more information (in Dutch) www.antarfoundation.org

I am using SolydK since this week, and I am very impressed by the care that has been taken (for details), and the completeness of this distro. I will implement SolydK in our organisation within the next months. I am not a geek or very skilled (terminal) user, but I am good at finding my way on the internet, and am able to solve most of my problems. I use Teamviewer regularly, and I am very happy that I can use MS Office in Playonlinux, so that I don't have to use Virtualbox anymore (for me MS Office is still better than LibreOffice). Furthermore I am very interested in (using) VPN's and cryptography for our privacy, I also have some experience in that (as a user).

For now, the only thing that IMHO could use attention is the boot time of SolydK, which I think is a bit slow (I already disabled Nepomuk). I surely will post anything that could help to make this distro even better in the future.

Joost

Crewp

Postby Crewp » 19 Sep 2013 22:27

Yes Welcome ! :D

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 19 Sep 2013 23:15

Sewedob
welcome to the SolydXK forum 8-)
we feel very proud that you consider Solyd to your foundation.
bliss of ignorance

Sewedob

Re: Hello from Amsterdam, the Netherlands

Postby Sewedob » 20 Sep 2013 05:27

Hello zerozero,

Thank you, it's not a consideration anymore, we will implement SolydXK in our foundation. I have not been a distrohopper for fun (well, a bit ;)), it was necessary for our foundation, because we support the thought of open source strongly, it fit's our organisation very well. We still have a MS Windows power user though, which I support using Teamviewer.

Joost

kyodev

Postby kyodev » 20 Sep 2013 06:12

welcome,
Sewedob wrote:for me MS Office is still better than LibreOffice
we support the thought of open source strongly
well, see day3 ;)
http://www.gnu.org/gnu30/gnu-a-day/

I'm curious to know in what domain MSO is better that LO?
I know one but it's very specific... (I have switched my organization to OOo or LO almost 10 years, with no big problems).

ane champenois

Postby ane champenois » 21 Sep 2013 07:09

Hello Sewedob,
welcome to the SolydXK community!
Many thanks for the confidence you put into SolydXK; and we hope help you to make a great job with your foundation. 8-)
They did not know it was impossible so they did it.

Sewedob

Postby Sewedob » 21 Sep 2013 07:23

Hello kyodev,

Sorry I didn't make myself clear, I use MS Office because I have to correct the layout of a lot of my .doc and .xls documents when using them with LibreOffice, and because I have little time to learn Writer and Calc. Maybe you know a good tutorial :P .

Sewedob

Postby Sewedob » 21 Sep 2013 07:29

Thank you ane, this is also the first time I became a member of a forum, I only do that when I am confident about a distro. I hope SolydXK will stay for a long time.

kyodev

Postby kyodev » 21 Sep 2013 08:26

sorry, I don't know good documentation in english, I worked in OOo long ago, but in Fr (french). libreoffice have better compatibility with the M$ format, and even M$ reaches to understand openDocument ;)
I have little time to learn
take your time but as I had experienced this switch in my organizations, I think it's not so difficult.

EldreThe

Postby EldreThe » 22 Sep 2013 14:43

Well all-in-all, I'm glad that SolydK has given your orginization what is needed, including the using MS Office in POL. Again, thanks for letting us know.
Best Regards

Eldre, The

Return to “Introduce yourself”