What's up?

New to SolydXK? This is the place to say "Hello"
Longshot

What's up?

Postby Longshot » 08 Mar 2014 03:40

Hello everyone, new to Solydxk but really loving it so far. I was a Ubuntu user for a while but got sick of all the crap they kept pushing on me so I moved to Linux Mint based off from Ubuntu. i really liked Linux Mint but really don't want anything to do with Ubuntu anymore so I went to LMDE but after just a few days of fighting with the software center and a few other things, I could tell LMDE is not a major factor for Linux Mint anymore. I heard about Solydxk and decided to give it a try. I have never cared for KDE, i think it's over rated, I know others love it and that's fine, that's what Linux is all about, finding what works for you. Anyway, KDE is just not my cup of tea so I went with SolydX. XFCE is ok, I have used it before and it does everything I want, my fav is still Cinnamon but I don't want anything to do with Ubuntu based Linux Mint and LMDE is getting worse with every update. Does anyone know how to install Cinnamon on SolydX and if it works good and updates? I will say I'm willing to give up Cinnamon to have a rock "Solyd" distro like SolydX, it has been a joy to work with so far with no prob's what so ever so far. I can really tell a lot of work goes into SolydXK.

"Edit" I am a huge Debian fan is the reason why I have not moved on to another distro not based on Debian. I ran Debian for a while but I'm lazy now and just want it to work. I have played around with other distros on a spare laptop but on my main PC, it has to be Debian.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Re: What's up?

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 08 Mar 2014 09:18

Hi Longshot, and welcome to our forum!
I hope you're going to enjoy your stay here.

Here's a tutorial on Cinnamon on SolydXK, but I read it's far from perfect: http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php? ... 4&start=20

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

helmsdeeper

Postby helmsdeeper » 08 Mar 2014 10:39

Welcome Longshot to the forum!

Longshot

Postby Longshot » 09 Mar 2014 04:17

Thanks for the welcome. I have looked up how to pimp out XFCE, it's pretty nice how many things you can do with it, I'm not missing Cinnamon that much right now.

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 09 Mar 2014 13:48

Welcome Longshot!

Here's some more on pimping your ride >> http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=1177
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

GDI

Postby GDI » 09 Mar 2014 15:17

Welcome to the forum Longshot! I believe you will enjoy your stay here and the Xfce version of Solyd.

A Few Of My Toys

SolydX
Crunchbang
LinuxMint
MX 14
Manjaro

Longshot

Postby Longshot » 10 Mar 2014 00:00

Thanks ScottQuier, that was very helpful. Thank you for the welcome GDI.

Return to “Introduce yourself”