Bonjour from Canada

New to SolydXK? This is the place to say "Hello"
pascale

Bonjour from Canada

Postby pascale » 07 Apr 2014 04:48

Hi SolydXK community!

SolydK is my first Linux distro, just installed on my computer. I've been reading reviews and trying live USBs here and there for the last few months, and Solyd just seemed like the best (and the linux action show finished convincing me!).

I work in university and we teach proprietary software all the time, pretty bad, I know, so here I am exploring something new.
I'm enjoying Solyd so far, and I've got lots to learn as I know nothing about Linux, but gotta start somewhere!

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Re: Bonjour from Canada

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 07 Apr 2014 10:01

Hi Pascale, and welcome to our forum!
You're at the right place to start learning Linux, and if I might say so, this is the most friendly community there is. So, don't hesitate to ask if you're stuck.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 07 Apr 2014 10:46

Hello Pascale,

I have to agree with Schoelje - this is a very friendly community. I've been a member of more than a few forums and this is probably the most friendly of the lot.

As for knowing Linux (or not knowing it :)) Joing the club. I'm so new to the whole thing I don't even know how much I don't know! But, with the help of zerozero, and zill, and wisemagic, and .... the list is just too long .... I'm learning something every day!
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

Longshot

Postby Longshot » 07 Apr 2014 15:07

Welcome to SolydXK, I'm sure you will enjoy your stay and learn a lot. Unlike other forums where if you ask something and have to sometimes wait days or even weeks for an answer or someone gives ya a smart ass remark like that has already been asked, try looking, you will always get a fast polite answer here.

pascale

Postby pascale » 07 Apr 2014 16:20

thanks for the warm welcome.
Tone on the forums was one of my selection criteria. There was another distro I was interested in... but I felt like I would be lost and eaten alive on the forum. :D Seems much friendlier to beginners here, thank you for confirming that!

GDI

Postby GDI » 08 Apr 2014 00:03

Hi Pascale and welcome to the forum! I am new here also and find this site to be one of the most friendliest and helpful out of all the Linux sites I have ever seen. You should feel at home here and find all the help and assistance you could ever need. Again, welcome!

A Few Of My Toys

SolydX
Crunchbang
LinuxMint
MX 14
Manjaro

duped

Postby duped » 08 Apr 2014 13:02

Bienvenue Pascale. I am also from Canada - Bas St Laurent/Gaspesie.

I am really enjoying using solydk-BE. It is very stable, few issues and does everything I want. The forum has also proven to be a friendly and helpful place. Linux is an ever opening learning experience for me and I think for most people so welcome aboard the train.

Return to “Introduce yourself”