Been running the Live CD and wanted to say hello

New to SolydXK? This is the place to say "Hello"
oneleaf

Been running the Live CD and wanted to say hello

Postby oneleaf » 06 Aug 2014 20:21

I got a new Intel NUC coming in the mail soon which I intend to install Solydx on. I have been running the live CD for the past couple of days to test the software that I need, and I have to say this is by far my favorite distro!

I will mainly be running database software for testing, particularly Cassandra, but I enjoy the desktop environment so much that I may end up just using it as my main PC.

I haven't used Linux for many years, but have previously used every flavor of Ubuntu, Debian, as well as some of the lightweight ones on some old hardware, like antiX and Puppy. SolydX is now my favorite.

I find this distro to be snappier and lighter than Linux Mint 17 xfce, which would be my second choice. And whereas I really like AntiX, I find Solydx to be just more comfortable and easier to use all around, while still feeling lightweight. I still have not tried solydK yet, since I have never been a KDE fan, but I may give it a spin before installing the xfce version.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hello. My experience with Linux is not very high, so I am sure this forum will be very helpful for me. Thanks for all the hard work on this distro, it is very much appreciated!

rokytnji

Re: Been running the Live CD and wanted to say hello

Postby rokytnji » 07 Aug 2014 00:12

Howdy. Sounds like you have a good handle on things.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 07 Aug 2014 07:20

Hi oneleaf, and welcome to our forum!
Thank you for giving me a good start of the day. I hope you're going to enjoy your stay here.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 07 Aug 2014 10:50

Welcome aboard, oneleaf! I hope you enjoy your ride! :D
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

johnrpm

Postby johnrpm » 11 Aug 2014 20:29

Welcome oneleaf,
I have been using solyd for a few weeks and love it, not had a single issue yet, hope you find it as good as I do.

oneleaf

Postby oneleaf » 11 Aug 2014 22:59

I finally had a chance to install it today. Everything went really well! In fact, I was super pleased that the team decided to add the Virtualbox Guest Additions to the install, as this is one of the more tedious things I do when I set up a new virtual machine. It was nice to have some of the more convenient features of virtualbox working upon first boot. :D

I had planned on installing this as the base install of my new machine, but when I ran through the installer I saw that it was not possible to install across multiple hard drives, which is a limitation among several distros. Ease of installation without having to change the mount point afterwards is pretty important to me, so I decided to install Mint xfce edition, and use Solydx as one of my virtual machines for development work.

Anyway, just wanted to put in another vote for adding that feature to the install! A lot of people are running with a combination of SSD and magnetic these days, so it would be really nice feature. :)

Deleted User 2767

Postby Deleted User 2767 » 12 Aug 2014 02:32

oneleaf wrote:I finally had a chance to install it today. [(Compliments to the team omitted for brevity.)] I had planned on installing this as the base install of my new machine, but when I ran through the installer I saw that it was not possible to install across multiple hard drives, which is a limitation among several distros. Ease of installation without having to change the mount point afterwards is pretty important to me, so I decided to install Mint xfce edition, and use Solydx as one of my virtual machines for development work. Anyway, just wanted to put in another vote for adding that feature to the install! A lot of people are running with a combination of SSD and magnetic these days, so it would be really nice feature. :)
Hello oneleaf. It's a pleasure to meet you and observe your confidence with computers, and approval of SolydXK. I hope that it continues to meet with your approval.

Putting my reservations that this is the proper time and place to bring this up aside for a moment, and in as much as you are the second one in as many days who has expressed pleasure with SolydXK then abandoned their original plan of using it on account of the limitations of the installer, and in as much as I am less well versed in this technology than everyone but my very young grandchildren, I would like to understand the difficulty with the post installation configuration of a system which has multiple hard drives. It must be more involved than editing fstab, or those as qualified as you would not be deterred from doing as you please by it. If I am out of line to bring this up here, then would you or someone be so kind as to pm me with what is involved in attaching multiple devices to the os? I would truly like to know. I will thank you for your forgiveness if I offend you or anyone else here with my brazen curiosity.

If nothing else, know that you are not among those here you can not benefit from your help. Welcome!

oneleaf

Postby oneleaf » 12 Aug 2014 05:24

passnthru,

This guide from the Ubuntu site is a basic method that would allow me to achieve what I want post installation: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Parti ... ome/Moving

I actually used that method before once, when I decided to split up into different partitions.

I think with /var and /tmp, it would be better to use those same instructions but do it in single user mode.

I hope my post does not come across as indicating disappointment with Solydx. Here is the thing: I plan to have a main distro and several virtual machines with different distros. I enjoy using different distros as I feel every one has something unique to offer. If Solydx did not provide the feature I wanted in an installer, and I chose to install it into a virtual machine instead, it doesn't make Solydx any lesser of a product. It is true that if I was absolutely determined to use this distro on my main install, it would've been about half an hour of work post installation (I would have 4 partitions to move). But since I was planning to use at least four different distros, one main and three virtual, I did not see a reason to use the only distro with this limitation on the only configuration that needed it. Why bother, since the virtual machine installations are just as important to me, and so I would get to use Solydx anyway.

I took a look to see what other discussions had talked about this, and I see there was a bit of drama regarding this install issue, so I hope I did not contribute to any misunderstanding or sensitive topic, and that the above explanation makes sense. Also, I would not say I am confident with Linux at all. It is still new to me. I have used it for many years but haven't really dug into all that it can do. It is only more recently that I have had to set up development environments and do more work in a Linux only environment, so I am hoping to learn more.

Deleted User 2767

Postby Deleted User 2767 » 12 Aug 2014 19:48

Greetings again oneleaf. You are kind to take the time to respond to me. You confirmed what I suspected, and for that I thank you. Hope you enjoy that new computer (note to self: find out what "NUC" is). I wish you smooth sailing.

Return to “Introduce yourself”