Hello from New York, USA

New to SolydXK? This is the place to say "Hello"
WillyB

Hello from New York, USA

Postby WillyB » 26 Sep 2014 01:35

Hello all,

I'm not particularly computer savy. I first tried linux a little more than a year ago after seeing my older, computer geek brother using something on his laptop that didn't look like MS Windows. I never realized there were alternatives (and free!).

Like most, I tried Ubuntu first. It worked well for me (surprisingly!), but I didn't care for "Unity" and got a little turned off about Canonical. I saw a youtube review of something called SolydK, and gave it a go. Well it's more than a year and I love it. Never had any real problem so far, and I'm able to do most anything I did before and more. Someone gave me an old computer which didn't work and I installed SolydX and now my daughter uses, and loves!

I love the concept of open source and I want to learn more. I'm trying (struggling) to get familiar with using the command line.

I see there will be some changes to SolydXK in the future, and I hope with my limited abilities I will be able to continue with my favorite OS. But, whatever, I'll try, and thanks guys, whatever happens, I've learned alot!

-Bill

matt267

Re: Hello from New York, USA

Postby matt267 » 26 Sep 2014 09:08

Welcome.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 26 Sep 2014 11:48

Hi Bill (sorry, got confused by your nick name), and welcome to our forum!
It's nice to read that slowly the whole family is excepting Linux. Indeed, there will be some changes but you'll see that it'll only improve stability.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

GDI

Postby GDI » 26 Sep 2014 18:35

Hi Bill and welcome to the forum! Fairly new to linux myself and the more I "play" with it the more I like it. I too started off with a buntu of one sort of the other and contined to distro hop for awhile until I "found" SolydX. Since then, SolydX has been my default distro. As for windoze, I cant remeber the last time I booted into it from any pc in my home. Enjoy your time spent here.

A Few Of My Toys

SolydX
Crunchbang
LinuxMint
MX 14
Manjaro

WillyB

Postby WillyB » 22 Oct 2014 00:48

A very belated and thanks to all for the warm welcome. This place is cool.

Return to “Introduce yourself”