Mepis Refugee

New to SolydXK? This is the place to say "Hello"
Nuke

Mepis Refugee

Postby Nuke » 27 Sep 2014 20:06

Hi, Im in Chepstow in the UK (South end of England-Wales border).

I used Linux for 10-12 years and have been using Mepis for the last two and really like it. However, support for Mepis is stopping and I want an alternative. I want a Debian based (NOT Ubuntu based - I have issues) distro with kde, and want my graphics card, multi-media and wireless to work without time-wasting hassle and don't care if that needs binary drivers. I also like the idea of Steam being easily installed. I don't mind (in fact prefer) using the command line for many tasks like partitioning - how "hard" that is just depends on how well the app is written - some good some bad.

I have not tried SolydK yet but I am just about to download a copy and give it a go in a VM (under Mepis) FTTB, and if that goes well then I will make it my main distro. I find changing distros takes about two weeks of spare time re-installing apps, backing up and restoring data, re-installing several other OS's in VMs (I have even got Solaris and WIn98 in here), so I want to be sure the decision is right.

jsalpha2

Re: Mepis Refugee

Postby jsalpha2 » 28 Sep 2014 13:45

However, support for Mepis is stopping
What? You post something like that without a link? :D Off to google.

GDI

Postby GDI » 28 Sep 2014 13:55

Welcome to the forum Mepis Refugee!

I usually dont promote other distros on a another distro's forum, but, if you want something Debian based and want something similar to Mepis, have you looked at AntiX 14.2 MX? It is based on Debian "testing". http://antix.mepis.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

However, I am sure you will be certainly pleased with Solydxk. Since installing SolydX, it has been my default distro.

A Few Of My Toys

SolydX
Crunchbang
LinuxMint
MX 14
Manjaro

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 28 Sep 2014 16:16

Hi Nuke, and welcome to our forum!
I hope you're going to enjoy your stay here.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Nuke

Postby Nuke » 28 Sep 2014 19:13

jsalpha2 wrote :-
You post something like that without a link?
Link here :- http://forum.mepiscommunity.org/viewtop ... 73&t=36912

One quote from it :-

MEPIS is no longer actively developed from what we can gather ... the sole developer, Warren Woodford is busy making a living and dealing with his own issues.

GDI wrote :-
if you want something Debian based and want something similar to Mepis, have you looked at AntiX 14.2 MX?
Yes. Anti-X != MX-14. Anti-X has been around a while as a lightweight version of Mepis (or it started off that way). Then the Anti-X maintainer recently came out also with the middle-weight MX-14 and some of the Mepis users are moving to it. Distrowatch ( if jsalpha2 wants a link it's http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=antix :D ) do not yet recognise MX-14 as separate from Anti-X.

However, the Anti-X maintainer, Anticapitalista, has strong political issues (the names are a clue) and, being politically agnostic myself it put me off. I did try Anti-X once and found a text file prominently placed by the installation which turned out to be a political rant; out of place I thought.

Refugee

Postby Refugee » 29 Sep 2014 00:15

jsalpha2 wrote:
However, support for Mepis is stopping
What? You post something like that without a link? :D Off to google.
Mepis abruptly stalled shortly after a beta release of SimplyMepis12 about a year ago. It was a strange experience.

@Nuke

Hey man, you're stealing my bit! But I do appreciate the spot you find yourself in regarding Mepis. There are several Mepis refugees here. Having run Mepis myself since 2004, SolydXK resembles a younger Mepis in many positive ways. I have found SolydK in particular to not only be rock-solid but enjoyable to use as well. In fact, I blew away my remaining Mepis installation just a few days ago. I now have SolydK, as my primary OS, running on four work machines and two systems at home. Life is good.

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 29 Sep 2014 19:55

Another Mepis user here. I agree politics has no place in open source software. Schoelje and others have done a good job of remaining neutral on politics and just provide a solid distro.

I find the SolydXK interface to be cleaner than Mepis. It doesn't have some of the Mepis tools, but I haven't found that I have been missing them too much. In case you are not aware, SolydXK BE is currently based on Debian Stable (like Mepis) and SolydXK will be moving from Debian Testing to Debian Stable upon the release of Jessie, so it is much like Mepis. (There will be an Enthusiast Edition (SolydXK EE) using testing repos in the future if you like testing).

The only thing I find missing in SolydXK is the Mepis Community Repos for backports of newer software. This is intentional with the Business Edition due to the possibility of backports causing stability issues. Its a mixed blessing. Backports are nice, but as I found out with Mepis Community repos, you can create a lot of issues if you have backports enabled and updated your system with all the latest backports. So care must be taken with backports. This is something I am sure the SolydXK team will consider as they transition from Testing to a Stable base.

All in all I have found SolydXK a great replacement for Mepis. I am sorry to see Mepis falling away, but it is sure nice to have other options.

Return to “Introduce yourself”