Hello fellow Linux users!

New to SolydXK? This is the place to say "Hello"
ninjawarrior

Hello fellow Linux users!

Postby ninjawarrior » 20 Oct 2014 04:56

I have been using several different flavors of linux for over five years now. I can say the first few desktop environments I installed I wasn`t to impressed with. Gnome and Mate, mainly I first started out with. If anything, at that time I was amazed at the customability of the desktop, as compared to Windows. And it was Free!! I now have a "test bed" PC I use to install and test the functionallity and customability of linux OS`s. This might sound strange, but I love KDE! With it I have experimented on serveral linux OS`s. In the past two years, starting with Kubuntu, I have made and saved several sucessful builds. I am not a professional programmer, but I do assemble OS`s (desktop enviornments) for people (former and soon to be former windows users). Most folks don`t want to or can`t put the time into setting up an linux OS. So helping folks out in this way, gives them a chance to learn something different. Not to mention you don`t have to pay for linux! You can`t say that about windows.
Solydxk is my first attempt at debian enviornment. I must say it is a rather touchy system when it comes to permissions. Having to type in your password for root acesses all the time is a little anoying, but changing permisssions isn`t to complicated. On other systems getting root acess can be even trickier. I`ve also found that it is probably a better idea to install software from the command line. Any ways I installed Solydk 64 bit and it is looking pretty good! Now I`ll start doing the easy stuff, like installing software, customizing media and networking, and backing it all up!
Personally, I`ve been part of the "Informatiom Tech" crowd since 1984. Just last year I started doing some beta testing for some linux systems on various different forums. I must say, it has been a really cool learning experience. I have been trying find some place to "learn" linux, but to no avail. Meeting some other folks in my area, that know linux, would be cool also. But so far the world wide community has been my friend when it comes to solving issues with linux!!

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Re: Hello fellow Linux users!

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 20 Oct 2014 06:49

Hi ninjawarrior, and welcome to our forum!

It's good to hear that you're a Linux-ambassador by showing people there is an alternative to Windows.

Although most Linux distributions are free, that doesn't mean that financial aid is not welcomed. Every donation is used to maintain that distribution and in some cases it helps to pay the bills of those who spend their working days on making their distributions (and Linux in general) better. So, that people can continue enjoying Linux for a long time to come.

I hope you're going to enjoy your stay here.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Nuke

Postby Nuke » 20 Oct 2014 12:50

Welcome! I am relatively new here too, coming from Mepis.
ninjawarrior wrote:This might sound strange, but I love KDE!
Why strange?
ninjawarrior wrote: Most folks don`t want to or can`t put the time into setting up an linux OS. So helping folks out in this way, gives them a chance to learn something different.
You are assuming they want to learn something different. Most people I know (even technically minded ones) are just prepared to keep paying for Windows or Apple's stuff because they think it is the proper thing to do, that Linux is shady somehow. In conversation I have heard it described both as "too amateur" or "too professional" (by people who have never tried it). Being free also puts people off - they think it is a trick. To get them to install Linux would be like suggesting to a guy with a new BMW to replace the engine with something else (even if it were better). Nevertheless, best of luck with that.
ninjawarrior wrote:Solydxk is my first attempt at debian enviornment. I must say it is a rather touchy system when it comes to permissions. Having to type in your password for root acesses all the time is a little anoying
All the time? OK, you are exagerating. Really just for installing new software, or shutting down the browser when it gets stuck on a website's bad Javascript.

I have been keeping to Debian based distros for a while (Kubuntu way back, Debian itself, Mepis, now SolydK) so I do not have to relearn the basic operations. Debian is a benchmark among distros; my only regret is that it is going with systemd but I am not sure that will last long now that it is emerging how arrogant and ambitious the people behind it are. It is looking to me as if the systemd team will soon be writing an entirely new kernel and thus completing a massive fork from Linux which Red Hat and its allies/clones will follow. I hope Debian will stay out of it.
ninjawarrior wrote:On other systems getting root acess can be even trickier.
I thought it was easy on Windows, and that is a criticism.

GDI

Postby GDI » 20 Oct 2014 13:52

Hello ninjawarrior and welcome to the forum! I think you will really like Solydxk before and after you have had some time to play around with it awhile. After distro hopping for several years, I believe I have finally found a distro home. :D

A Few Of My Toys

SolydX
Crunchbang
LinuxMint
MX 14
Manjaro

Return to “Introduce yourself”