New to Forum & Just Updated to Jessie Sources

New to SolydXK? This is the place to say "Hello"
loloboho

New to Forum & Just Updated to Jessie Sources

Postby loloboho » 01 Feb 2015 01:43

Team and Users,

After a successful transition to Jessie and having been using SolydX since October 2014, I thought it time to join the forum.

I just updated SolydX HE to Jessie - a flawless upgrade via the Update Manager thanks to the great work of Schoelje and the rest of the team with their attention to detail.

I have been using Linux since 2008, Ubuntu, Mint, LMDE and now SolydX with MATE (just what I'm used to) so my knowledge is maybe intermediate. The switch to Debian "stable" sources makes sense to me. If not for SolydXK, I would have installed pure Debian with MATE since LMDE updates have fallen so behind. Luckily there is SolydXK that has saved me from all the package installs and tinkering with Debian to get it right. I am very happy with the SolydXK distros and the community so I'm glad to be here.

You will probably see me post now and then if I can keep up with the threads. Thanks to the team both present and past for creating a distro that fits my needs and philosophy.

Robert
3.6 GHz AMD 64 bit quad, 8GB DDR3 ram, GeForce GTS 250
SolydX 64 bit with MATE, multi-boot to various vintages of OS
It must be operator error.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Re: New to Forum & Just Updated to Jessie Sources

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 01 Feb 2015 07:19

Hi Robert, and welcome to our forum!
I'm glad you're here and I hope you're going to have a nice stay here.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Zill

Postby Zill » 01 Feb 2015 12:44

loloboho wrote:...The switch to Debian "stable" sources makes sense to me. If not for SolydXK, I would have installed pure Debian with MATE since LMDE updates have fallen so behind...
It is really great to see you here and so I will also add my "welcome to the forums". However, I do hope you appreciate that the implications of SolydXK changing to a Debian Stable base are that most packages will now be fixed until the next Debian Stable is released. A small number of applications, such as Firefox and Thunderbird will be updated but, apart from security updates, applications will basically remain at the same versions they are now and so no new functionality will be added.

It will be possible to upgrade to later versions via backports but, of course, this will potentially degrade the inherent reliability of our Debian Stable base.

loloboho

Postby loloboho » 01 Feb 2015 21:15

Thanks Zill,

The main reason for not sticking with LMDE is my concern for security updates or lack thereof and support in general. I understand the Mint team has focused on the Ubu base. I appriciate the smaller and responsive community here with its focus on stability and service.

I am not so much concerned about the latest and greatest application developments as for having a solid platform that I can develop and tweak on my own without having the rug pulled out. I dislike leaving a distribution in which I have invested many hours ironing out minor errors and personal tweaks.

I believe the real asset of Solyd is the community that will back it up. My thanks to all involved.
3.6 GHz AMD 64 bit quad, 8GB DDR3 ram, GeForce GTS 250
SolydX 64 bit with MATE, multi-boot to various vintages of OS
It must be operator error.

Return to “Introduce yourself”