A Wild FinnFann Has Appeared

New to SolydXK? This is the place to say "Hello"
FinnFann

A Wild FinnFann Has Appeared

Postby FinnFann » 07 Feb 2015 02:24

That's all 8I Go back to your holes and get off my lawn.

Nah, just kidding. Zill convinced me to writeup an introduction even though I usually like being that phantom that appears and leaves at a whim leaving people to wonder if I ever truely existed at all. But anyways I'm a relatively experienced Linux user and have been distro hopping since 2006 (back when Ubuntu was as hard to install as Debian). My escapades started of a bored mind when I was introduced to linux via one of my favorite teachers in an Intro to Operating Systems course. We were given just a barebones taste of fedora, although he pointed me out to Ubuntu. While neither were cemented in yet it turned out to be a good choice as I tend to have hardware that Fedora scoffs at for not being free enough.

In any case I've tried a ton at this point. Sabayon, Mandriva, Mageia, OpenSuse, Ubuntu and all variants, Manjaro, Linux Mint, LMDE, Antergos, Netrunner, yada yada. None were as good as Debian-based distros like Ubuntu when it came to odds and ends, however. I started off with Linux Mint at this point as I wasn't knowledgable enough to do a lot of the heavy lifting myself quite yet. However, years later and with more experience I got a bit weary of the "NO. NEVER. EVER. UPDATE" attitude that's been radiating. Which is fine with new users, but if we're to keep with what makes Linux tough we can't just throw updates to the wind, especially not security ones.

ANYWAYS, tangent over. I saw this distro's starting point as the unofficial LMDE editions back on the mint forums (even scoffed a few times at the lack of multilib support which caused issues with installing wine and skype...but those are times since past). I've hopped quite a bit since then, and what's finally getting me back here is...there's sanity. Debian has never been flashy, although I've always been at odds with it because of a lack of support for my less "free" hardware. Solyd has been a wonderful solution to that now that we're pure debian based by giving a great starting point. It also gives me that rush I had back in the old Ubuntu days where everything "worked", but still needed a little elbow polish to be -just- right, and you could still post help on forums and get a response from the original poster.

Also not going to lie, it's a great way to both finally land on a stable system...and avoid the wayland/systemd/gtk3/kde5 fiascos until they're over and stable.

Anywho that's me. Chances are if there's a hardware hiccup that's fixable I've probably run into it at some point, so I'll do my best to help around.
ImageLemonade

rokytnji

Re: A Wild FinnFann Has Appeared

Postby rokytnji » 08 Feb 2015 16:22

Howdy and Welcome from a Linux using scooter tramp.
I like small communities vs large gatherings.

Large motorcycle runs I don't do anymore. Same same with using Linux.
I was at one time at New River. Back in the day. Rode with some dudes from there.

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 09 Feb 2015 04:13

Welcome, glad to have you on board. I've seen a few of your post pop up lately. Like that phantom you mentioned, I wondered where you came from :o It looks like you have some great knowledge and ideas. I think you will like the new SolydXK.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 09 Feb 2015 20:09

Hi FinnFann, and welcome to our forum!

A bit odd, though, since we already worked together quiet a few times lately. I'm glad you're here and I hope you're going to enjoy your stay here.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Return to “Introduce yourself”