New to SolydXK

New to SolydXK? This is the place to say "Hello"
monkeyx

New to SolydXK

Postby monkeyx » 27 Feb 2015 10:50

Hi, Just installed SolydX on my laptop. I had been using Crunchbang previously.

Impressed with the distro so far. Looks pretty slick. I did have an issue with laptop Lenovo and E530c.

On livedisk I had to startup without Plymouth support and after installing I had issues with Plymouth and after googling I found this was an issue with Plymouth.

https://wiki.debian.org/plymouth

After changing the driver to use Intel it worked fine, but had to be fixed by booting into recovery mode and editing the relevant file.

Should it have done this? I can imagine this would scare some people off?

Zill

Re: New to SolydXK

Postby Zill » 27 Feb 2015 12:19

monkeyx wrote:Hi, Just installed SolydX on my laptop. I had been using Crunchbang previously.

Impressed with the distro so far. Looks pretty slick.
I am pleased you found your way over here and so I would like to welcome you to SolydXK forums. SolydX is a great distro and works well for me so I hope you will find it meets all your requirements. :-)
monkeyx wrote:... I did have an issue with laptop Lenovo and E530c.

On livedisk I had to startup without Plymouth support and after installing I had issues with Plymouth and after googling I found this was an issue with Plymouth....
Plymouth is well known to cause problems and, as I would much rather know what is happening during boot rather than just see a dumb splash screen, I simply disable it. This totally eliminates all the Plymouth problems. ;-)
monkeyx wrote:... After changing the driver to use Intel it worked fine, but had to be fixed by booting into recovery mode and editing the relevant file.
I am surprised by this as Intel graphics usually work OOTB and most graphics problems are related to Nvidia or ATI chipsets.

However, if special drivers are required for your Intel graphics then the SolydXK "Device Driver Manager" (DDM) is a simple (graphical) tool that should reliably install the correct driver.

Anyway, I hope your system is working properly now but if you need any help just shout out on our forums. :-)

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 27 Feb 2015 13:16

Hi monkeyx, and welcome to our forum!

It's a bit late, but your Plymouth issue could have been prevented with the nightly builds (also available from the product pages). The configuration that was needed with previous versions has been removed and I haven't found any issues with my intel based systems.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

monkeyx

Postby monkeyx » 27 Feb 2015 21:06

Cheers Schoelje,

Will look at the nightly builds next time I install.

For some some reason it add uvesafb mode_option=1024x768-24 mtrr=3 scroll=ywrap to /etc/initramfs-tools/modules
and this was setting a screen resolution that was unusable on my laptop.

Would be useful to add disable plymouth option during install if people find problems.

Will give feedback after nightly install to let you know if fixed now on this laptop

Return to “Introduce yourself”