I'm back....

New to SolydXK? This is the place to say "Hello"
SolydForEver

I'm back....

Postby SolydForEver » 30 Sep 2015 08:32

Now please, don't take the title the wrong way, it is just may way of saying I installed SolydK again and am using it.
I did use it some years ago but decided to use LinuxMint instead. Since lately I am experimenting with all sorts of OS's in virtual machines and this morning I installed SolydK and was nicely surprised what I found there. See: http://forums.solydxk.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5890 to read the whole story.

To introduce myself:
I'm 57, I work as an electric-engineer, I live in The Netherlands (no, not in Holland) and I like to play around with my Linux systems. I'm married, 2 married daughters, one grand-child and one on its way, as we heard last week, so I am a happy and proud husband, father and grand-father.
Somewhere around 2002 or so I must have taken the first steps in the Linux world when I tried, with a step-by-step written instruction, to install Gentoo. Yes, why not start with the most difficult one and do everything yourself, instead of using complete ISO to simply install an OS. I somehow managed to get a working system but then the written instruction was ended and I had no idea what to do next. So, it was back to Windows.
In 2008 however I discovered (yes, it was me) Ubuntu. I installed it side by side with windows and played with it, learned from it, using Windows less and less. I started with 8.04 (Hardy Heron), followed by 9.04, 10.04 and I think it was in 11.04 where I noticed things started changing. The min-max-close buttons on the top line of windows were moved from top-right to top-left. A place where they should not be, according to me. So I placed them back in the correct corner.
Next release however used the dreadful Unity interface, so it was time for me to jump away from Ubuntu. I landed in Mint's lap, which at that time still used the Gnome 2 interface. Later on also Mint had to stop with Gnome 2 since it was no longer maintained and it came with Mate and Cinnamon. I discovered KDE. It took some time to get used to the new program names (dolphin instead of nautilus, kate instead of gedit) but it worked well and looked amazing.
From then on it was either Mint or SolydK, which I read about as well. I also tried OpenSuse, Manjaro, OpenMandriva and many others but always came back to Mint.
Now I want to see if I can master SolydK. What I have seen so far it has done a lot lately, it feels good, looks good, so yes I guess this could be the OS for the (near) future.
Thanks.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Re: I'm back....

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 30 Sep 2015 08:38

Hi SolydForEver, and welcome to our forum!
I see your nick name already confirms your last remark ;)

Could you also explain the readers what's the difference between "The Netherlands" and "Holland" because for most people, even in The Netherlands, they are synonymous.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

SolydForEver

Postby SolydForEver » 30 Sep 2015 09:01

Schoelje wrote:Could you also explain the readers what's the difference between "The Netherlands" and "Holland" because for most people, even in The Netherlands, they are synonymous.
Well, as I see it, Holland refers to the two provinces on the west coast of the country, North- and South Holland. Back in the early days these two provinces were most important, there you find cities like Amsterdam, Rotterdam and The Hague. All other parts of the country was just back country, you would find only woods and an occasional farmer there.
When the political situation changed over the years (centuries), this back country also got more important and the name of the country changed to The Netherlands, meaning the low countries. Parts, in the west (the former most important provinces) lay below sea level. Not much, but enough to get wet feet when the dikes break.

And that concludes our history lesson for today.

Zill

Postby Zill » 30 Sep 2015 11:00

SolydForEver: Thanks for the clarification as I, and probably many others, were unaware of this distinction. Just to add a further level of confusion, you might like to know that the port of New Holland is in the UK, here in my own county of Lincolnshire. ;-)

I will also take this opportunity to welcome you back to SolydXK and say thank you for posting your interesting history. As I am also a grandad my background is not that different to yours! However, while you were starting out the hard way, with Gentoo, I took the easy option and installed Mandrake 7.0 for my first taste of Linux. ;-)

I later followed the Ubuntu trail, trying various flavours, before moving on when Unity took over. My last version of Ubuntu was 10.04 when I then installed SolydX as I loved the efficiency and reliability of the XFCE DE.

Along the way, I have other systems running CrunchBang which, unfortunately, is no longer supported and so will be replaced by its successor, BunsenLabs.

My wife runs LMDE 2 with the Mate DE, which is actually the successor to Gnome 2 and has the same look and feel.

Anyway, I trust you will be pleased that you are now running SolydK again and, if you hit any problems, feel free to give us a shout and someone should be along to help. :-)

SolydForEver

Postby SolydForEver » 30 Sep 2015 11:17

Thank Zill, It's great to be welcomed like this.

You are talking about New Holland, quite something else than Holland, isn't it?
Here we have Amsterdam, the capitol of The Netherlands but we also have New Amsterdam, a small village in the east part of the country. Even New York was once New Amsterdam.
Then there is America, or USA if you like, but here we have a small city called America in the south.
And I guess there are many more examples like this.
Probably the Dutch, while they were still an important seagoing country, landed in the place now called New Holland. Who knows.

I'm happy my installation SolydK went so well, when I do find something I can't handle myself I sure will write it in one of the forums. In the mean time when I can help others with their problems I will do so as well.
It's good to be back.

Return to “Introduce yourself”