Greetings from Vienna

New to SolydXK? This is the place to say "Hello"
The_Fritz

Greetings from Vienna

Postby The_Fritz » 06 Jun 2016 13:37

Hello everybody!

I am just about to burn SolydX on a DVD for installation on a five year old desktop with 4 GB RAM and a Harddisk of 500 GB. When I did some research on a Debian based OS that supports xfce well, I found SolydX and this forum. I have been using Ubuntu and Mint for ten years now, because I want an OS that gets out of my way and just works. Since my old version of Fireworks runs well in wine and I can play civ 4 in steam, I don't really need windows any more. I also love the possibilities to change the desktop's appearance until I find it cozy and usable. Here is a screenshot from my other PC with Xubuntu: https://scontent-frt3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t3 ... 7220_o.jpg

Though I do some programming (mostly Web-stuff with JavaScript and some Python) I don't want to know in all detail, what is going on under the hood of my OS. I considered trying Debian Jessie, but I was put off by the design of their website. Also, I have been wondering, if there is something more lightweight than Xubuntu.

And I like the enthusiasm in this forum. ;-)

Except playing around with computers, I am into writing (which is my profession), drawing and hiking.

Kind regards,
The_Fritz, 42, Vienna

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Re: Greetings from Vienna

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 06 Jun 2016 15:01

Hi The_Fritz, and welcome to our forum!

I hope the installation went smoothly. Let us know how it went.

If you ever find that our SolydXK application could use some improvement, here's the source at GitHub: https://github.com/SolydXK

Enjoy your stay and if you encounter any problems do not hesitate to post them here :)

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Zill

Postby Zill » 06 Jun 2016 19:35

The_Fritz: Thank you for introducing yourself and please let me add my welcome.

We have a good, friendly, community here with many knowledgeable members so if you do have any queries just post a new query and someone should be able to help. Of course, it is always worth searching the SolydXK forums first as many questions have already been answered.

As, like many of us, you have a Ubuntu/Mint background I should point out that SolydXK is based on Debian and so there are subtle differences with Ubuntu based systems. I strongly recommend that you do not try to install packages intended for Ubuntu on any Debian based system as they are often incompatible.

In particular, PPAs are generally intended for Ubuntu systems and so should not be installed on Debian systems. If you really need a later package than one available in the Debian Jessie repos then the preferred method is to install the newer package from backports.

Anyway, have fun finding your way around your new SolydX system and, if you have any questions, just ask. Personally, I don't have anything to do with Windows, Wine or Games - but there may be some here who do... ;-)

The_Fritz

Postby The_Fritz » 07 Jun 2016 09:39

Thanks for the nice welcome! :) Everything runs fine, so far. Maybe I'll ask some questions later, though the forum is full of things I might ask anyway. (I'm at holiday right now and will be back at my office pc next week...)

An update after using the system for over a week: I'm very happy with it! Thanks for making Debian more accessible. :)

eselma

Postby eselma » 28 Jun 2016 16:48

Hi Fritz, welcome to the forum. Presume now You have spent your holidays and can enjoy SolydX again. I am mainly a SolydK user, but SolydX fits very well in any laptop, including some old models. And flies on a regular desktop!

I've tried several environments for coding HTML (almost no java* ), at the moment, Bluefish keeps being simple and useful, despite having licenses for Komodo IDE, Webstorm and others. Which one is your preferred?

Welcome again to this friendly forum.

The_Fritz

Postby The_Fritz » 30 Jun 2016 16:59

Hi eselma,

I am using Notepad++, a Windows-program that runs fine in wine. It has autocompletion for html-tags and syntax-folding, which is very convenient: https://notepad-plus-plus.org/
There is a Linux-port, called Notepadqq, probably with the same functionality: https://github.com/notepadqq/notepadqq
I have not tried it yet. Bluefish is of course a great editor too. I never used a fancy IDE either.

Kind regards,
Fritz

eselma

Postby eselma » 30 Jun 2016 17:10

Many thanks, Fritz. Notepad ++ is a preferred program for many html coders.

I'll try Notepadqq, did not knew there was a Linux port of it.

The_Fritz

Postby The_Fritz » 30 Jun 2016 18:15

I gave Notepadqq a try. Seems like tag-autocompletion is not implemented yet. If you don't need this and don't use plugins, it is certainly worth a try. Otherwise I recommend using the Windows-version, which runs perfectly in wine.

(The How-to I found to install Notepadqq on Debian: https://www.linuxbabe.com/it-knowledge/ ... ve-notepad)

belze

Postby belze » 30 Jun 2016 18:39

I do not use so much to write html/css/php but when i need to get my hands dirty with these, i use kate.
-------

The_Fritz

Postby The_Fritz » 01 Sep 2019 19:11

I have not been here for a while and have been using Peppermint OS and vanilla Debian in the past years. For policy reasons, it is possible that I will switch from an Ubuntu base to a Debian base for good.

I tried installing Debian Buster on my ThinkPad E470, which is the PC I am using 90 % of the time. Debian did not recognize the touchpad and had problems with the WiFi card - so I considered a derivative and remembered SolydX. And here I am again...

The version I installed is the nightly build that is already based on Buster. It is even more snappy than Peppermint and seems to be very polished. I have no complaints at all. After using it for a week or so, I will write a review for Distrowatch - to say thank you for the great work you are doing.

ilu

Postby ilu » 02 Sep 2019 15:31

Great!

Return to “Introduce yourself”