New... sorta

New to SolydXK? This is the place to say "Hello"
mattymanx

New... sorta

Postby mattymanx » 08 Mar 2017 18:39

Hey,

Could have sworn I had an account here already. Anyways, new here as i dont come here for anything.

I'm a long time Xubuntu user who switched over to SolydX after getting tired of the changes in Xubuntu. I am loving the rolling updates and how SolydX is kept light weight. My linux box is not my primary system but I use it for all things internet related. My Windows 10 Pro box does all the real work (as I work from home) but stays off the net a lot. I am an artist and not a programmer and have come to really appreciate the debian family and XFCE based distros.

Anyways, feel free to check out my DeviantART gallery - http://mattymanx.deviantart.com/ - and my Daz3D store - http://www.daz3d.com/mattymanx

Zill

Re: New... sorta

Postby Zill » 08 Mar 2017 19:17

mattymanx: Welcome to SolydXK forums and I trust you will enjoy using this great distro!

It is not clear which edition of SolydX you have installed as there are distinct differences. The "main" edition is based on Debian stable and so is definitely not rolling, as the functionality of this edition remains substantially constant for the life of the Debian stable release (currently jessie). Only security updates and a few (high-priority) bugfixes are issued for this edition. The plus side is that this edition is highly reliable and will just run without any fuss!

OTOH, the SolydX "Enthusiasts Edition" (EE) is based on Debian testing (currently stretch) and this obviously does roll, although major changes drop off around the period of the "freeze" while testing is fully debugged preparatory to becoming the next Debian stable. While newer packages may be included in this release, the price is that this edition is more liable to breakage and will require far more attention than the SolydX main edition. For this reason, the EEs are only appropriate for users with considerable experience of debugging Linux systems. This edition is not recommended for "mission-critical" use!

If you do hit any problems with SolydXK just use the search facility (button at the top of the screen) and it could be that the answer is already there! Failing that, feel free to post a new query with a descriptive title and as much detail as possible. Please remember to tell us exactly which edition you are running. ;-)

mattymanx

Postby mattymanx » 08 Mar 2017 20:51

I originally installed SolydX back in July 2015 but have since reformatted and I believe I am using the January 2016 edition. Main release only. i tend not to stray from the stable versions.

Crewp

Postby Crewp » 12 Mar 2017 22:17

Welcome to SolydXK, and the forum. And your artwork is amazing.

Return to “Introduce yourself”