I'm so glad I found SolydXK!

New to SolydXK? This is the place to say "Hello"
koesherbacon

I'm so glad I found SolydXK!

Postby koesherbacon » 19 Oct 2017 08:48

Hello! This post became quite a bit longer than I expect to, so here's the TLDR version:
My old laptop died and I needed to install a brand new OS. That is because laptop was using Arch, but for some reason, the new one cannot. I tried out several different live USB distros. SolydXK is the distro I ended up using and I'm very glad I did. I think the devs have some a great job and for that, I'd like to say thank you!

I installed SolydXK a little while ago and I very impressed with the OS SolydXK's developers built using the rock-solid base of Debian Stretch. My previous laptop died, and as I was searching and testing multiple distros to see which I would like to use SolydXK quickly took the lead in terms of everything I was looking for. The laptop that died was an Intel-based laptop, and the new one is an AMD. Previously, I used Arch Linux, but for some reason it could not work even after swapping HDDs or cloning the previous one onto the new HDD. This was strange because I had done that before with no problems, but for some reason it just Arch and the new laptop just couldn't play nice. That meant I had to find a new distro which seemed a daunting task. In the end, I started keeping track of pros and cons of several distros I made into live USBs.

I tested many different distros in addition to SolydXK such as Voyager 9, Sparky Rolling, Manjaro, Arch, Sabayon, and a few others and found myself continually putting the SolydX USB into the laptop and testing it again and again. Though I wanted to go back to Arch I started getting really fed up with the hullabaloo regarding SystemD. I couldn't care less about which type of Init I'm using as long as everything works, you know?

In the end, SolydX just had the most amount of features I was looking for (and even it did not come with some, they were very easy to find and install). Debian 9, Stretch? Check. XFCE? Check. Ability to install and use other WMs and desktops? Check. Customizability? Check. Apt instead of pacman, dnf, etc? Check. You get the picture.

That said, I really want to also say that Voyager and Sparky are both fantastic distros which also use Debian. Had I wanted a Ubuntu-based distro as opposed to Debian, Voyager would have been the winner by a wide margin. On the other hand, Sparky is another fabulous distro which uses Debian's testing branch, Buster. After trying it out, I came to the realization that I prefer Stretch's stability over Buster's bleeding edge. So basically, I think that if SolydXK fell short of my expectations after installing it, I would have gone with one or the other between Voyager and Sparky.

I believe that SolydXK is the best OS in terms of my criteria. I also believe that the developers of Voyager and Sparky have also done wonderful jobs. If someone is looking for a distro with many of the same features as SolydXK, but it's not quite what they're looking for, you should definitely try Voyager or Sparky.

So yeah, that's why I ended up installing and using SolydXK as my one and only OS and I'm extremely happy I made the switch. I think you developers have done a fantastic job.

I love this OS and want to thank you!

  ♥ Ev
〜 Ev

ilu

Re: I'm so glad I found SolydXK!

Postby ilu » 19 Oct 2017 13:50

Thank you very much for your kind words and welcome to our forums. I hope you'll enjoy this community as much as your system. If you need assistance just come over and ask.

koesherbacon

Re: I'm so glad I found SolydXK!

Postby koesherbacon » 19 Oct 2017 21:22

I already have utilized you forum to answer something. It's so much different than Arch. There I probably would have been linked to something without anybody explaining how the linked thing would actually help me to do whatever it was. I appreciate the support the users have already done for me.
〜 Ev

Return to “Introduce yourself”