Went to using SolydXK was Linux Mint was becoming too boring and safe

New to SolydXK? This is the place to say "Hello"
phosphorror

Went to using SolydXK was Linux Mint was becoming too boring and safe

Postby phosphorror » 23 Oct 2017 10:53

Greetings all,

I've been using SolydXK for around 2 years or so, really enjoy the distro and got it working on a couple of machines with relatively no complaints. Wanted to use a different form of Linux than Linux Mint as I wanted a bit more of a challenge, before I do something like start dabbling with Debian.

Been into Linux since Ubuntu 09.04, and went full Linux with Ubuntu 10.4LTS where I had Windows XP Pro running inside VirtualBox. Only keep one machine that is a Thinkpad Edge with Windows 7 Pro and Linux Mint for things I can't be bothered getting to run in Linux (very rare), or things that have yet (as far as I'm aware) have a decent Linux alternative. Notably, programming the codeplug for my DMR transceiver, where with analogue transceivers such as my Yaesu FT817, FT897 and various Baofeng handhelds I do perfectly fine using CHIRP.

For the most part, I hate using Windows nowadays and use it in the workplace only. Even converted my girlfriend's Windows Vista PC to Linux Mint when Vista support ran out - which works very well so far and does all what most people would ever want.

Zero Angel

Re: Went to using SolydXK was Linux Mint was becoming too boring and safe

Postby Zero Angel » 24 Oct 2017 08:44

The biggest sell for me was the stability. I've been using Linux since 2004, starting with Mandriva, trying various other distros (e.g. Arch, PCLinuxOS, etc) and spending most of my time on Ubuntu-based OSes which eventually go out of date or require a major (possibly distro breaking) upgrade every couple of years.

With SolydK, I get weeks of uptime between reboots and the rolling-release model means I never have to jump over to the next major distro for fear of missing important new features or software, so I feel I can really settle in and get comfortable with the distro. It's also debian-based so has a good selection of (stable but relatively modern) software and is not needlessly complicated.

ilu

Re: Went to using SolydXK was Linux Mint was becoming too boring and safe

Postby ilu » 24 Oct 2017 11:40

Just to prevent confusion - SolydXK is not rolling - it was rolling 4 years ago, but not anymore. But the team is working hard to ensure a smooth upgrade process from one stable release to the next. If you haven't changed too much on your system the update usually goes well. Schoelje and grizzler are investing a lot of time into developing and testing the upgrade scripts.

Return to “Introduce yourself”