Hello from rural USA

New to SolydXK? This is the place to say "Hello"
SilverBear

Hello from rural USA

Postby SilverBear » 18 Jul 2018 05:17

JGB-OUTDOORS-01s.png
JGB-OUTDOORS-01s.png (87.54 KiB) Viewed 2507 times
Hello!
My name is John Boice, better known in the online Linux users community as SilverBear.
I've been using one or another Linux distro since I was first introduced to "Warty Warthog" (Ubuntu 4.10) --my enthusiasm for this new alternative to MS-Windows at that time earned me an unfortunate nickname from my wife! Apparently I wouldn't stop talking about it. :lol:

I'm quite happy to discover SolydK 9. A little background might help you all see why I don't say that lightly. I've tried quite a number of distros over the years.

I've been a KDE fan for a long time. Shortly after discovering Ubuntu, I explored Mepis Linux (AKA "SimplyMepis"), which in those days was the most stable Debian-based distro featuring KDE, and it was easy to use and configure . It was also the first distro to include an installer as part of the LiveCD, which is now a standard feature. Anyway, I was heavily involved in the Mepis user community as a forum moderator, assistant editor of the first 3 or 4 Mepis User Manuals, and the project director for the website (independent, but approved by the Mepis developer) MepisCommunity.org

Since 2013, Mepis has no longer been under development, and several members of the Mepis Community (including the antiX developer) kept the old gang together by developing a new distro, MX-Linux. It's a great distro (as is antiX) and a great bunch of folks. Although I'm still on good terms with them, MX-Linux is designed as an XFCE distro, and I just prefer KDE.

At various times over the years I've tried Suse, Fedora, Kubuntu, Arch, Antergos and quite a few others, usually having 5 or six active distros multi-booting my desktop box. Lately I've been mostly using Just Plain "Jessie" with KDE, then switched to Mint KDE 17 & 18 over the last few years, as my main OS. :arrow: For obvious reasons, I've recently been keeping an eye out for a good KDE-based OS. I read about Neon and SolydXK, and two days ago got around to installing SolydK.

Very impressive!
The ISO (on a thumbdrive) booted quickly and cleanly, needing no HW config adjustments. My machine is a home-built MSI mobo with an Intel i7, nVidia GTX-750 vid card and 16 GB RAM. All fairly Linux-friendly components, but that hasn't kept some distros from having problems. Not SolydK! :D It was "Solyd" enough to install, and the installation went smoothly. I put it on a previously partitioned SSD with /home on a separate partition on a HDD. Since it looks like I'll be keeping it, I plan on moving the /var & /tmp directories off onto a HDD, too.

I did encounter one problem, which a little research allowed me to fix. I had difficulty running any updates after installation because the URL of the repo was malformed in the /etc/apt/sources.list In this case it was the first repo on the list, which was the UK mirror for solydxk (faster than the .nl server for me.)
The bug is discussed here, a few months ago:
https://forums.solydxk.com/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=7248

I mention it now because I got my SolydK ISO about a week ago via the torrent link on Distrowatch.com Even though the developer fixed the bug quite a while ago, it seems that the torrent swarm may still be distributing the older, unfixed version.

Well, I'll wrap things up for now, just reiterating how happy I am to be running SolydK, and to thank Arjen Balfoort --and the other people responsible-- for an exceptional Linux distro. :clap:

BTW, since it was requested that folks include this info.
My location : USA, about 10 miles from the SE shore of Lake Erie, on a rural hillside.
"masai7" : Intel i7 3770k; 16GB RAM; GeForce GTX-750 - SolydK 10

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Re: Hello from rural USA

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 18 Jul 2018 16:16

Hi John,

Although I'm on my honeymoon I wanted to welcome you to our community. I'm typing this on my phone and I still have difficulties using the keyboard. So, I'll keep it short.

I liked your introduction and I appreciate the effort you put into it. I hope we can help if you need it and I hope we can share in your experience.

Welcome again and we hope that you will enjoy SolydK for a long time.

Best regards,
Arjen Balfoort

P.S.: if you know where we could have a mirror in the U.S.A. we would appreciate it if you would let us know.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

SilverBear

Postby SilverBear » 18 Jul 2018 17:54

Arjen Balfoort wrote:
18 Jul 2018 16:16
Hi John,

Although I'm on my honeymoon I wanted to welcome you to our community.
Thank you -- and congratulations! May you both have many years together.

eselma

Postby eselma » 18 Jul 2018 22:13

Hi, John!

Glad to see you here. Perhaps you remember my alias (or avatar) from Mepislovers.
I am still having -and using sometimes- a copy of MX-17. But, like you, am used to KDE; so, needing a solid and stable distribution... here I am.

Welcome to Solydxk forum again.

Hope to see your entries here, it will remind me of nice old times...

Eduard Selma.

xendistar

Postby xendistar » 18 Jul 2018 22:19

Welcome Silverfox, I remember you from my Mepis day, think you will like SolydXK, it just works. I am the opposite to you preferring XFCE for its simple simplicity and speed, I fell out of love with KDE with the advent of version4.

Well it is bed time for me, another hot sweaty night in the south of England <insert sweaty smiley>

patzy

Postby patzy » 19 Jul 2018 01:23

Hello, SilverBear. I, too, remember you from my Mepis days.

I discovered SolydK after Mepis stopped being developed, and have never felt the need to use any other distro.

Welcome.

Patzy

SilverBear

Postby SilverBear » 19 Jul 2018 21:05

Wow!
What a pleasure to meet a bunch of old comrades!
So as not to clog up the forum with too much personal stuff, let me take the liberty of using one post to address you all.

Item #1: It was sad when Warren lost interest in Mepis. A brilliant programmer, he just did not care for the personal involvement with his user community that _might_ have kept up his morale for the project. Having worked with him via email as an alpha tester (for _some_ aspects only, not for the overall development!) and in the course of discussing User Manual issues, I learned he'd been having some health issues, and for the last year I don't think his back was allowing him to sit for long periods of time. I could be mistaken. He stopped talking to me because I kept nagging him (politely, I thought) to do audio interviews/discussions every few months. There are other things, but rather than gossip, I just want to say that we should be grateful that Arjen Balfoort is not only putting in so much time and effort developing & maintaining SolydXK, but that he is so approachable and involved with his user community.

In order, then:
-----------------------
@eselma: Who could forget "Groucho"?!
Chico: "But I saw it with my own eyes!"
Groucho: "Who are you going to believe -- me or your lying eyes? What have they ever done for you, except get you in trouble?!"
You dealt more with Jerry than with me on the translations, but I've not forgotten you. Having been a moderator, I'm cognizant about not straying off topic, so I'd appreciate it if you'd message me. I'd like to hear the straight story about developments in your country recently --one needs to be wary of just relying on corporate news media. Thanks, Eduard!
-----------------------
@xendistar: How is Summer in Bournemouth? Height of the tourist season, I'd guess. Motor traffic gets brutal? We get some tourist traffic here in the summer, but not like Bournemouth, I'm guessing.
I hear you re: KDE moving from stable 3.xx to terrible 4.#$#%&! It DID get better, but the KDE devs were really dumb for releasing what was clearly a developmental version as if it were stable. Yes, they SAID it wasn't finished/stable etc. but. . . They should have taken a page from the Debian playbook and not given it a team number on its jersey if it wasn't ready to go on the field. Like you, that is exactly the time I first got into using XFCE!

I can't recall exactly which distro I was using with XFCE then. In those days Mepis was my main workhorse, but I'd easily spend half or more of my uptime hours exploring other distros. I don't know if you were a reader of my SBLinux.org website or a member of the associated forum, but I and other regulars on there would often give short reviews on our distro-hopping experiments.
I'd better reiterate: I DO like XFCE (which I pronounce "X-Force"!) because it is --in my experience (and to those who disagree, YMMV, of course, no insult intended) it is just as powerful but more configurable than Gnome or any of the Gnome-like creatures under other names. And it's easy on the RAM, if that is an issue --like on Netbooks and older laptops. When MX-Linux first came out, quite a while after I signed ownership of the MepisCommunity.org website over to others admins for health reasons, I was enthusiastic for a while because XFCE was familiar to me.

But. . . as KDE/Plasma had already got its legs back under it, I'd already fallen back in love. It's more configurable than I have time/energy to fully understand, and it does everything I want it to do. While I'm very happy with my wife of 45 years, whom I love more than I love myself, even She doesn't live up to all that! :twisted: -- Good thing. I don't deserve it!
Please message me if you want to talk about your MX-Linux experiences. Or anything else.
-----------------------
@patzy: Thank you for the welcome! Please forgive me. . . I jest not when I say that I'm not only getting old, but I have brain damage. In my pic above, you can barely see it, but there's a a scar from 2 craniotomies. Since you are from Australia, are you the Pat who is "Dr. Pat" from NSW? Last involved (when we last corresponded) in trying to improve rural healthcare access? If not, I apologise for misplacing our acquaintance.

As you are clearly smarter than I was in being able to find SolydXK 4 1/2 years before I did, I'd like to hear fom you via PM, if you are so inclined. Nothing too intimate, just home address, phone, birthdated, mother's maiden name, bank PIN, etc. . . :lol: Or, maybe, just how the winter is going for you. What part of the "great land down under" is home for you?
-----------------------------------------------------------
Thanks again. Good to hear from you all!

xendistar

Postby xendistar » 20 Jul 2018 13:53

@xendistar: How is Summer in Bournemouth? Height of the tourist season, I'd guess. Motor traffic gets brutal? We get some tourist traffic here in the summer, but not like Bournemouth, I'm guessing.
I hear you re: KDE moving from stable 3.xx to terrible 4.#$#%&! It DID get better, but the KDE devs were really dumb for releasing what was clearly a developmental version as if it were stable. Yes, they SAID it wasn't finished/stable etc. but. . . They should have taken a page from the Debian playbook and not given it a team number on its jersey if it wasn't ready to go on the field. Like you, that is exactly the time I first got into using XFCE!

I can't recall exactly which distro I was using with XFCE then. In those days Mepis was my main workhorse, but I'd easily spend half or more of my uptime hours exploring other distros. I don't know if you were a reader of my SBLinux.org website or a member of the associated forum, but I and other regulars on there would often give short reviews on our distro-hopping experiments.
I'd better reiterate: I DO like XFCE (which I pronounce "X-Force"!) because it is --in my experience (and to those who disagree, YMMV, of course, no insult intended) it is just as powerful but more configurable than Gnome or any of the Gnome-like creatures under other names. And it's easy on the RAM, if that is an issue --like on Netbooks and older laptops. When MX-Linux first came out, quite a while after I signed ownership of the MepisCommunity.org website over to others admins for health reasons, I was enthusiastic for a while because XFCE was familiar to me.

But. . . as KDE/Plasma had already got its legs back under it, I'd already fallen back in love. It's more configurable than I have time/energy to fully understand, and it does everything I want it to do. While I'm very happy with my wife of 45 years, whom I love more than I love myself, even She doesn't live up to all that! :twisted: -- Good thing. I don't deserve it!
Please message me if you want to talk about your MX-Linux experiences. Or anything else.
Summer is hot and sticky at present, traffic is a nightmare on the local roads and I just about to go out on a road trip (only 130 miles) at 3pm on a Friday afternoon, so I am expecting to be pretty grumpy driver when I arrive at my leaving party (redundant after 23 years).

I have looked at KDE but having been spoilt by the simplicity and speed of XFCE, KDE felt like wading through treacle on the same hardware. Never got on with Gnome tired it a couple of time. I have a couple of fall back XFCE based distros mainly Xubuntu or Sparky Linux.

Well I am off on my road trip will be back in a couple of days

Return to “Introduce yourself”