Contemplating a move to Solyd XK - "X"

New to SolydXK? This is the place to say "Hello"
pepdebmate

Contemplating a move to Solyd XK - "X"

Postby pepdebmate » 25 Sep 2018 12:30

Hello forum,
Long time Linux user here :) much love to the community :clap: . I started way back in 2005 with Ubuntu and migrated over to Linux Mint 8 and stayed with them until the 2015 and found a new home on PeppermintOS, - was looking for a nice XFCE distro at the time PeppermintOS fit the bill. Plus they have a really nice community of folks over there, I am sure the same is here as well.

I only have two things I wish they would do.
  • I wish they had an upgrade path. Their philosophy is......, to upgrade you must format and install the new version. Which, I get it...., clean install and less chance for issues to arise.
  • They are deep in the distro chain.... i.e. they are based on Xubuntu but they still have some LXDE stuff in their desktop environment.
So, why am I here 8-) well, I want to move closer to the Debian stack, but I don't want to use pure Debian depending on what you do with your computers it can be a challenge... getting things to work....drivers for example...

I read a lot about SolydXK and tested the live key. pretty impressive I must say. :D

With that said, I was wondering if some of you folk could let me know how you feel about Solyd.... are you happy with it does it perform to your needs, etc..

For me I am a application dev by trade, I use Apache/Nginx, Mono, ASP.Net CoRE, c#, postgres etc.... all which run well on my Debian server.
But on Peppermint is where the real work happens right.... :mrgreen: , all the iDE's and other applications I use for daily work...

Any way I am rambling, thanks for any input and I appreciate your time.

tardy

Re: Contemplating a move to Solyd XK - "X"

Postby tardy » 25 Sep 2018 15:49

Hi, pepdebmate, welcome to the forum.

I installed SolydK (I'm a KDE guy myself) in 2013, and I'm still running it. I personally have had no problems whatsoever, all drivers installed automatically, media codecs work flawlessly, it's all good. Totally stable through the years. I run SolydK on all 5 of my computers, though on 3 of them it's as a backup to Debian Testing, Arch, or Manjaro. I know I can always count on SolydXK.

The upgrade scripts between Debian versions have worked for me with no problems except for one installation where I frankly waited far too long to apply the dist-upgrade; the resulting problems were not huge and were easily fixable, but being lazy :roll: , I just did a fresh install on that machine.

If a stable, pre-configured Debian with non-free options is what you're after, I don't think you can do better than SolydXK. It's a great distro.

By the way, I am typing this from my original 2013 installation.

ilu

Postby ilu » 25 Sep 2018 18:02

I'm using SolydX since 2013 and I'm very satisfied. I prefer to do reinstalls though to have a fresh system. And to keep the previous one as backup since I don't use any other distro (except pure Debian on servers).

This is a small team so you can steer things in the direction you like - especially if you are a developer and can contribute code (hint hint ;) ).

tek10

Postby tek10 » 26 Sep 2018 02:36

I'm very happy with both SolydX and SolydK. SolydX is my preferred OS for both my laptops. It's been on my 2009 HP since 2014. I just installed SolydX EE on my new System 76. I also like to install SolydX virtual machines on my desktop systems.

SolydK runs on my testing desktop and is dual booting with whichever OS I am currently playing with. I started using SolydK in 2013 and have had to reinstalled twice. That was before SolydXK shifted to Debian stable. My first install of X is still running fine on the HP.

pepdebmate

Postby pepdebmate » 26 Sep 2018 13:11

Thanks! a lot for the kind replies.
I kind of get the same feeling as well using the live key... it feels solid and so far things just work on it.

There are two things I do love about PepOS that is:
1. ICE - https://peppermintos.com/guide/ice/ -- I have not tried to get this installed on Debian, yet. But, have any of you guys seen or have a SSB alternative to it --- this is a great for making things like internet mail or, social media features available separate from the normal browser experience.

2. Advert - https://github.com/peppermintos/advert-block -- It's a simple hosts file ad blocker nothing to complicated but a nice to have pre-installed. ----same here would you guys know of an alternative.--I am going to try to port this to Solyd if I move regardless any way.

of course these are not deal breakers for me but they are things that I do enjoy on PepOS

@ilu I am with you, when I move to a distro I 100% move. to include community participation, I would love to help out where I can. :mrgreen:

ilu

Postby ilu » 27 Sep 2018 00:16

ad 1. (ICE)
I'm using some site-specific browser profiles and this approach looks interesting. Does this create site specific profiles? What about addons?

ad 2. (adblock)
To my experience blocking works fine with uBlock origin (which is pre-installed) and uMatrix which lets you fine-tune. I have tried hostfile blocking in the past and thought it to inflexible.

Also latest commits to advert-block are from 2016 - "This branch is 4 commits ahead, 9 commits behind antiX-Linux:master". Where do they get their host file entries from? Who updates those? I was too lazy to check the source - checking the source for an information like that is too tedious for my liking.

uBlock implements an interface where you can choose whichever blocklist suits you and you get updates whenever there are any. Try it and see for yourself.

pepdebmate

Postby pepdebmate » 27 Sep 2018 14:06

ICE:
Each time in the ICE interface the user creates an "Application" basically an icon that is associated to a web address and placed on the WhiskerMenu. Depending on your browser you choose it will open a independent instance with the website the user specified. For example, I use it to create a ProtonMail icon for email.
As for the add-ons .... any add-ons that you use in your associated browser will apply and function in the created ICE application you just can't manage the add-ons from it. You you need to do that from full browser interface,

Advert:
I see your point on the host file. Advert is more of simple way to get a few "a lot" of entries in your host file without too much of the tedious work.
Over all though I have always had a decent experience with advert and I suppose it's up to the individual as to how many levels of ad blocking they want. So it is true the updates are not automatic, but its is simple enough to get the host updated and really not too cumbersome for me. ;)
Basically you just rerun advert once in awhile to update them or right a simple bash to do it for you.
The sources for advert are:
>mvps.org
>sysctl.org
>yoyo.org
>unblock

On a side note I myself do enjoy ublockorigin (think its one of the better ones out there) I personally don't use FireFox per se my daily driver is PaleMoon, a fork from the way older version of FF back in the day. But For dev purposed/testing I do use FF/Chromium since almost every other browser nearly is based on one them LOL :lol: Except Edge..... :facepalm: lol

So far though ..... whether these tools work or not... I am really impressed with Solyd more so on the "X" side of the house...
Thanks!

pepdebmate

Postby pepdebmate » 28 Sep 2018 13:05

I have used this on pure Debian and it seems to work well.
But if any one is interested in ICE here is a .deb packaged I got from the pep folks
https://launchpad.net/~peppermintos/+ar ... .4_all.deb

Also while still on the advert subject.... I recently ran across https://pi-hole.net/
I recently tested it on my Debian server.. very nice tool for your network or personal deskop.

Regardless though forum....... thanks for the feed back... I will make the switch this week, I will deploy "X" I have a soft spot for xfce LOL :)

Return to “Introduce yourself”