Improvements for VMs

Share here your personal tips or creations: desktop, conky, docks, widgets or tweaks are welcomed here!
ilu

Improvements for VMs

Postby ilu » 19 Jul 2019 17:55

It seems that the installer doesn't apply the tmpfs settings used on SSDs if it is installed in a VM - maybe the installer cant recognize VMs? Setting /var/cache/apt would be really desirable for VMs to not let them grow out of proportions (or out of disk space with more restrictive settings). I don't think the noatime setting will hurt.

Code: Select all

tmpfs   /tmp                    tmpfs   defaults,noatime,mode=1777              0       0
tmpfs   /var/tmp                tmpfs   defaults,noatime                        0       0
tmpfs   /var/backups            tmpfs   defaults,noatime                        0       0
tmpfs   /var/cache/apt/archives tmpfs   defaults,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=0755  0       0                                                             
(I put the code here to be easily able to copy it into different VMs without setting up clipboard or share. Note to self: do sudo apt clean and delete files before remounting to avoid ghost data)

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Re: Improvements for VMs

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 20 Jul 2019 14:17

Did you check the "Solid-state Drive" checkbox for the hard disk?
For me live-installer sets the usual tmpfs entries in fstab if I do so.
Screenshot_20190720_161522.png

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

ilu

Re: Improvements for VMs

Postby ilu » 20 Jul 2019 14:51

Ah thank you for the reminder! No, I just clicked continue.

Return to “Customizations”