Font Tweaks

Share here your personal tips or creations: desktop, conky, docks, widgets or tweaks are welcomed here!
Phoenix-90

Font Tweaks

Postby Phoenix-90 » 05 Mar 2013 03:46

One thing I always changed back when I update the system is the font configuration.

Over the time I collected several tweaks and put them together in one ".fonts.conf" file.
It's a hidden file located in your home directory.
Nowadays it has 28.2 KiB

For me, after overwrite the original file and restart the system, the fonts turned out more brilliant and visible.

Due to its size, I am uploading the file with the name fonts.txt (without dot) for you to analyze it.
So if you decide that its useful, please, don't forget to properly rename it and copy it to the appropriate place.
Attachments
fonts.txt
Remember to rename it as explained above in ordet to use it.
(28.17 KiB) Downloaded 204 times
Linux User 509158

Asus N73S
SolydK 64-bit

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Re: Font Tweaks

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 05 Mar 2013 11:14

I like that!
I'll try it out on my system for a while and if all's well, I'll add it to the solydxk-system package.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

hushpuppy

Postby hushpuppy » 05 Mar 2013 13:28

I'm probably missing the point, but is it really necessary? Mine is:

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<fontconfig>

<!--
    This file is maintained by Font Manager.

If you wish to make any changes it is suggested you do so using

/home/hp/.config/font-manager/local.conf

Any changes made to this file will be automatically relocated there
    at startup and any settings already in that file will be overwritten.
-->

<include ignore_missing="yes">/home/hp/.config/font-manager/conf.d</include>
    <include ignore_missing="yes">/home/hp/.config/font-manager/directories.conf</include>
    <include ignore_missing="yes">/home/hp/.config/font-manager/local.conf</include>
    <include ignore_missing="yes">/home/hp/.config/font-manager/select.conf</include>

</fontconfig>
Any changes made to this file will be automatically relocated there
at startup and any settings already in that file will be overwritten.
Personally, I wouldn't want changes to either conf file, with or without some warning.

Also, would you collect all the referenced fonts (and their respective licenses) into the system base or separate packages (depends or recommends)? Some fonts, e.g. Liberation, already have their own packages. How would it be integrated with Settings > Appearance, amongst others? If you do include it, what would be the best way to stop a users current preferences from being over-written?
Ohne Musik wäre das Leben ein Irrtum (Without music, life would be a mistake) - Friedrich Nietzsche

Phoenix-90

Postby Phoenix-90 » 06 Mar 2013 01:47

hushpuppy,

First of all, no, its not necessary if you're happy the way your system behave. And you don't have to have the related fonts installed. But if, in my point-of-view, I can improve the system... why not?

Second, I simply pick a "ttf" (font) file - according to my needs or likes - and use the module "fontinst" from systemsettings to install the desired font (I have a CD-ROM with more than 5.000 font files) from the time when I was learning about desktop publishing. Normally I don't use a font package if I don't have to.
If the font is listed in the conf file, then its appearance in the monitor will be enhanced. If not, nothing happens.
I saw the warning, but if you manually changed the file - as I did - the system doesn't know about the modification, because it's not in any control file of a given package.

And third, if you want to make the change system wide, use the konsole as root, then calls the Dolphin and overwrite the .font.conf file in the root directory.

For example, the Ubuntu and DejaVu Sans fonts (actual system fonts) are much more bright and clear now. Plus all the others.

I hope this answer your questions about.

I think its worth the effort. And Schoelje is testing it.
Linux User 509158

Asus N73S
SolydK 64-bit

hushpuppy

Postby hushpuppy » 06 Mar 2013 09:58

Well, the easiest way around it I can think of is:

Code: Select all

$ chattr -i ~/.config/font-manager/local.conf
$ chattr -i ~/.fonts.conf 
But I still see no point installing a config file that references fonts that may or may not exist, providing hinting and substitutions that may or may not work across a multitude of systems, that may over-write existing preferences without warning or due care.

However, your config file would be an excellent basis for a tutorial explaining how font settings can be tweaked using appropriate tools such as font-manager.
Ohne Musik wäre das Leben ein Irrtum (Without music, life would be a mistake) - Friedrich Nietzsche

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 06 Mar 2013 10:56

Well, I've tried it for a few days, but indeed I do share hushpuppy's concerns.
The first thing I noticed was that thunderbird was looking "different", and I found it hard to read.
More applications behaved in a similar way, and it's logical when the font cannot be found.
So, I'm afraid a solution like this is not going to end up in SolydX or SolydK, but I bet there are people out there that might benefit from this thread.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Phoenix-90

Postby Phoenix-90 » 07 Mar 2013 00:56

Sure,
Its just as I said. Its not necessary. But its a tweak that suits my system and preferences well.
My installed system is not, what you call it - standard. I don't use Thunderbird, so I removed it (I prefer webmail).
And depends on what other applications you have installed, for example, SweetHome 3D, GoogleEarth, FlightGear, Blender, Inkscape to name a few I use.

But the principle behind my tweak (<edit binding="strong" mode="prepend" name="family">, and so on) can also be used in the fonts that are installed in a given system.

Its only a matter to adjust the conf file in accordance with the installed fonts. But I know it takes time...

I agree, hushpuppy and Shoelje, some people might benefit from it.
Linux User 509158

Asus N73S
SolydK 64-bit

The_Fritz

Postby The_Fritz » 12 Jun 2016 07:02

I used the .fonts.conf from the following how-to to improve font rendering: http://www.binarytides.com/gorgeous-loo ... ntu-linux/

This is the one thing I remember from installing Debian on a laptop about ten years ago: How the system handles fonts needs some tweaking. Also, I re-installed ttf-mscorefonts and changed the default font to DejaVu Sans.

Return to “Customizations”