Is there a dock that does not risk future SolydXK instabili

Share here your personal tips or creations: desktop, conky, docks, widgets or tweaks are welcomed here!
obreel

Is there a dock that does not risk future SolydXK instabili

Postby obreel » 18 Dec 2013 18:48

Howdy y'all,

I have a question about finding a dock (or launcher) for SolydXK that would not imperil the future stability of my installation. Earlier I posted a question in the newbies section about Conky Dock not installing properly. Zerozero was gracious enough to address my problem ( :) thanks!) and I copied this from his answer:
the only thing that i would note here is the huge amount of dependencies (specially gnome) that it requires: later down the road those will cause issues in your installation.

Considering that, is there a dock (or launcher) that is considered stable enough to use in SolydXK without having to worry about probable future issues? I've read a little on Plank dock in this Conky forum but when I was following the links associated with that install this little gem caught my eye:
Plank is not included in the official Ubuntu repositories yet. The Plank Testing PPA contains the in-development version of Plank (there is no stable release yet). That said, the development version works well enough that it shouldn't be a problem for daily use.
:shock:

So I'm nervous that installing Plank could possibly cause issues in the future as well. Is there any other dock (or equivalent "thingy" ;) ) that is considered by the Solyd community as stable and reasonably safe?

I'll also be looking at the SolydXK Conky threads, if that is still an active project. I had that software in Mint also but I have to look at the pros & cons of installing it in SolydK & SolydX first. It is just more eye candy, but sometimes a little candy is good. :D

Thanks,
O B Reel

"Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts make a right"

ScottQuier

Re: Is there a dock that does not risk future SolydXK instab

Postby ScottQuier » 18 Dec 2013 21:27

You might want to check out this thread --> http://forums.solydxk.nl/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=1177
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

obreel

Postby obreel » 19 Dec 2013 09:48

Thanks,

I beleive Whisker is in Mint also. I'll give it a try but I'm leaning towards converting to SolydK on both my laptops. KDE is my favorite desktop enviroment and I can make one a "test" machine. I'm hopng to decide over the coming week whether to go all KDE or keep both flavors of Solyd. It may be better for me to concentrate on a single OS since I'm easily confused anyway :roll:

Thanks for your suggestion,
O B Reel

"Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts make a right"

smackthepony

Postby smackthepony » 22 Dec 2013 22:27

Docky might be an option.
Iframe is not allowed anymore. Click here to watch the movie.
my portugese is a bit rusty but docky can simply be installed through the software center (or removed if needed should it cause instability)

jsvenancio

Postby jsvenancio » 26 Dec 2013 19:48

smackthepony wrote:Docky might be an option.
Iframe is not allowed anymore. Click here to watch the movie.
my portugese is a bit rusty but docky can simply be installed through the software center (or removed if needed should it cause instability)
Good afternoon.
I'm Portuguese and I installed the SolydX very little time on my HD.
I'm still looking for a good tutorial on customizing my SolydX, it could help thanks.
SolydX - 64bts - Debian

Sorry for my bad English, I speak Portuguese and use the Google translator.

Return to “Customizations”