Show your Desktop Screenshots

Share here your personal tips or creations: desktop, conky, docks, widgets or tweaks are welcomed here!
Orbmiser

Re: Show your Desktop Screenshots

Postby Orbmiser » 08 Aug 2014 02:18

GNUday wrote:
Andrew wrote:One thing I've often wondered about is why some people radically change their desktops so often. I don't see mine much once I get on the net, as it's nearly always covered by the browser window. Could someone please explain to me what the fascination of radically changing their desktop weekly or monthly is? I just don't understand it.
Lots of reasons, boredom, experimentation, because we can, etc. I am in my browser a lot too but not always, I do many other things with my computer too, office, multimedia, etc. Actually, what's really creepy, if you look at my last incarnation, it's eerily similar to Windows 98, the green, the desktop font shadow, the icon arrangement, it wasn't on purpose, I just noticed the other day. :shock: Everybody likes what they like, each to their own. Linux is like pottery class, sometimes one makes a garbage ashtray, sometimes one makes a work of art vase, lol. ;) :mrgreen:

Here's a question for ya, when you go shopping for anything, clothes, furniture, a vehicle, etc, do buy the first thing you see or do you shop around for what appeals to you? :?: :idea:
Yep just comes down to many things like creating something beautiful that displays in your living and working space. Many take in workspace colors desk workspace design into consideration for a complete design experience incorporating desktop in total package.

Why do people change what they have for breakfast or lunch and dinner? Simple Change of pace and taste. Same goes for the desktop. For me like tweaking to get most out of desktop with needed displayed info Time,Date,Ram used,Cpu utilization. Popup notifications for mail's in or popup weather with current temp and current radar map of rain activity as affects my shooting schedule.

For some setting up and optimizing desktop is part and parcel of total workflow and not just apps as desktop layout is part of that workflow.

For me most of that has been done and pretty much just a wallpaper changer once every couple of weeks or month kind of thing. But starting out was working out what I needed on the desktop and which icons,panels and their sizes and position. Different Conky scripts to give customized info I need at a glance. All this evolved over last year.

And as others pointed out it is just an artistic endeavour of achieving what you find pleasing to look at in form and function. Otherwise why not have all living spaces exactly the same furniture,colors,etc..?
Portfolio
http://500px.com/Orbmiser
Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/

SolydK - Kernel 3.16-2-amd64 - KDE 4.14.1 Update Pack: 2014.10.15

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 08 Aug 2014 02:23

For me, some of the background does show behind the browser and other windows I have open, so I like to stay seasonal. And as Orbmiser mentioned, boredom. I may change my background daily for a few days until I find something I like to stick with for awhile. Sometimes I'm bored of the growing wallpaper collection I have and go looking for new wallpaper, new themes, new window decorations, etc. It's an "environment" and I got to look at it all day every day, so I at least want it pleasing to the eye. This is also why I like KDE. It's customizable in all the ways that matter (at least to me).

But some don't need that and I admire the simplicity. Linux desktops can be anything for anybody. That's the beauty of it. :)

Andrew

Postby Andrew » 08 Aug 2014 05:25

GNUday wrote:Here's a question for ya, when you go shopping for anything, clothes, furniture, a vehicle, etc, do buy the first thing you see or do you shop around for what appeals to you? :?: :idea:
Yeah, I see what you mean. If I buy another vehicle or more furniture I'll look around for what I like. Clothes are different though, especially jeans, underwear, socks & boots. The brand, style & color of those I bought say 10 years ago are still the same as I buy now. :)
Desktop: 64bit 2.6gHz dualcore 2G RAM - SolydK HE
Laptop: Dell D630 Latitude; 64bit 2gHz dualcore 2G RAM - SolydK BE

Snap

Postby Snap » 08 Aug 2014 07:24

RavenLX wrote:You know what they say "to each his own". But I do agree with you on the "mess" thing. It does kinda look hard to read at times, particularly the system tray area. But it'll do for now. I probably should have changed it to something more solid. For now, I'll leave it as is. I might be changing the background again to something else at a later time. I get bored easily and change things often. 8-)
What I tend to do is trying to get a coherent, uniform or cohesive "theme" when changing wallpapers. I don't change them too often, but I do it from time to time. Some folks change everything monthly or so. But you know, when I manage to get something I like and is comfortable to the eye I stick to it for a while.

It's the wallpaper of the moment what dictates the desktop theme, window decorations, cursor color, overall style, colors and the color, font and design of conky. I choose the element to fit the background. ie, I'm not very happy with the gray text in conky. It should be a bit more greener or browner to fit, but you know. I don't think this wallpaper will last, so I didn't bothered. :mrgreen:
This likely means that your installation is broken. -Mr Pixbuf.

Zero Angel

Postby Zero Angel » 09 Aug 2014 06:51

Nice Conky. I have never been able to get conky to work flawlessly on a KDE desktop. Usually it has some sort of rough edge like fighting with my plasma widgets, pseudo transparancy glitches (like using the gnome desktop background when im in KDE), repositioning improperly when the screen is resized, etc. Now. If there were some kind of wrapper to turn a conky widget into a plasma widget, i'd be all over that.

ess82

Postby ess82 » 09 Aug 2014 12:50

So here's mine ... didn't have much time for tweaking it tho

Zero Angel

Postby Zero Angel » 09 Aug 2014 20:29

Here's an old one from 2008
http://zeroangel.overminddl1.com/misc_i ... aunos1.jpg

Was a distro using a persistence file that ran off of my portable hard drive, had an NTFS partition on it that would automount and was symlinked to my home folder in various places and contained a portable app suite for use for when I was using it on Windows, and I could run a script that would activate an SSH tunnel to my home machine (on the windows side too, using puTTY) that I could use to transfer files and bypass URL filtering. I really miss this drive, but alas it perished to water damage.

rokytnji

Postby rokytnji » 22 Aug 2014 01:56

Current on home install on little netook.

Snap

Postby Snap » 07 Sep 2014 21:14

Doing some theming tests in a Virtual machine today. Quite happy with the result.

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 07 Sep 2014 23:29

Very nice!

Snap

Postby Snap » 08 Sep 2014 07:25

I have never been able to get conky to work flawlessly on a KDE desktop. Usually it has some sort of rough edge like fighting with my plasma widgets, pseudo transparancy glitches (like using the gnome desktop background when im in KDE), repositioning improperly when the screen is resized, etc. Now. If there were some kind of wrapper to turn a conky widget into a plasma widget, i'd be all over that
I have no issues with conky in KDE. But I don't use any widget. Maybe it's that.

Snap

Postby Snap » 08 Sep 2014 07:26

RavenLX wrote:Very nice!
Thanks, but it's all borrowed stuff with some tweaks. 8-)

MAYBL8

Postby MAYBL8 » 15 Sep 2014 18:40

Basic Install with some tweaks:
snapshot2.png

Digger

Postby Digger » 24 Sep 2014 17:48

Made my first YouTube video taday using Kazam featuring SolydK .
The audio is crappy but, I don't have a mic or anything. =>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... eZHRGzd5hU

Be Kind to the newbie lol :lol:

GNUday

Postby GNUday » 25 Sep 2014 10:13

Fallpaper

Click on the image after is loads to go full size...

In case you like it, the fallpaper pic, go full size, right click, save as...
AMD FX-8350, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 (rev 4.0), 2 Intel 520 Series 120GB SSDs, 2 Seagate storage HDDs, 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3, Asus Radeon R7 250, Thermaltake V3 Black AMD Edition case, 750W Tt Toughpower Gold PSU...running no systemd PCLinuxOS

timber

SolydM - Minty Mate Desktop

Postby timber » 04 Oct 2014 22:15

Screenshot.png
Minty Mate Desktop on SolydX with customized SolydXK Conky

timber
timber

Samsung R580-M430 @ 2.27GHz - 8 GB RAM
Geforce 310M w/ nvidia-driver
SolydX/SolydM - Kernel 3.14-2-amd64 - Update Pack: 2014.07.15
SolydK - Kernel 3.14-2-amd64 - Update Pack: 2014.07.15
SolydKBE - Kernel 3.2.0-4-amd64 - LTS Update Pack: 2014.07.15

stelios

Postby stelios » 06 Oct 2014 15:39

rokytnji

Postby rokytnji » 19 Oct 2014 01:01

Little netbook after Oct 2014 dist-upgrade on Testing.

No problems after RTFM on Update Manager. I even tried to break it by closing update process and then fixing with

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg --configure -a
Even had a server down. But no biggie. Easy Peasy. Lemon Squeezy.

GNUday

Postby GNUday » 26 Oct 2014 22:52

I just built this beast a couple of weeks ago, it's finally loaded and everything working (haven't had the time). See sig for machine specs (yeah, I know, it's not the latest and greatest but it fits my budget and it's NOT Intel or Nvidia, I'm very done with the both of them). The wallpaper is a screenshot from the 1982 movie Blade Runner, one of my all time faves. I ran BurnInTest on purpose so CPU-G shows the CPU's full speed, it idles at 1.4GHz most of the time, which is fine, it lasts longer, I have noticed it throttles up way faster than my old Intel Q9550. The computer's name is Mark-13 after the 'population control' cyborg from the cheesy 1990 cyberpunk scifi horror Hardware.

Click on the image after it loads to go full size...
AMD FX-8350, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 (rev 4.0), 2 Intel 520 Series 120GB SSDs, 2 Seagate storage HDDs, 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3, Asus Radeon R7 250, Thermaltake V3 Black AMD Edition case, 750W Tt Toughpower Gold PSU...running no systemd PCLinuxOS

tuktuk22

Postby tuktuk22 » 08 Jan 2015 19:07

Nightly Iso(s) ;)

- solydk64
- debian testing

Return to “Customizations”