Xfce desktop icon labels tweak

Share here your personal tips or creations: desktop, conky, docks, widgets or tweaks are welcomed here!
GNUday

Xfce desktop icon labels tweak

Postby GNUday » 06 Jun 2014 10:21

Link to tutorial and sample pic here, enjoy.

Edit: Note; This does not work if you use the Greybird appearance theme.
AMD FX-8350, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 (rev 4.0), 2 Intel 520 Series 120GB SSDs, 2 Seagate storage HDDs, 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3, Asus Radeon R7 250, Thermaltake V3 Black AMD Edition case, 750W Tt Toughpower Gold PSU...running no systemd PCLinuxOS

tek10

Re: Xfce desktop icon labels tweak

Postby tek10 » 23 Aug 2014 14:11

Great customization for my icon labels with a custom theme i'm working on. Had to change the x/y offset to 1 pixel to display right on this 1366x768 display.

Thanks for pointing this out! :D

GNUday

Postby GNUday » 23 Aug 2014 15:47

tek10 wrote:Thanks for pointing this out! :D
No problem, glad somebody found it and made use of it. :D IMHO, some of the default desktop icon text backgrounds that come with some themes are just silly, ugly and ridiculous. :?

Also glad you tweaked the file, isn't that fun?! :mrgreen:
AMD FX-8350, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 (rev 4.0), 2 Intel 520 Series 120GB SSDs, 2 Seagate storage HDDs, 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3, Asus Radeon R7 250, Thermaltake V3 Black AMD Edition case, 750W Tt Toughpower Gold PSU...running no systemd PCLinuxOS

amnesix

Postby amnesix » 11 Oct 2014 06:36

Great tip ! Thank you !

greywolf

Postby greywolf » 11 Oct 2014 22:42

GNUday wrote:Link to tutorial and sample pic here, enjoy.

Thanks for this. First thing I always do on Xfce installs is get rid of "ancient" icon text settings! :)

One bit of info if I may; the slightly better way to do this sort of thing is to create a file called (something like) ".gtkrc-2.0.mine" and then call that file from the ".gtkrc-2.0" file with the following command:

Code: Select all

include "/home/<username>/.gtkrc-2.0.mine"

The reason for this is that many settings apps like "gtk-chtheme" and "lxappearance" change the .gtkrc-2.0 file by overwriting it. However, they observe and leave alone the "include" command so you don't lose your personal customizations when you change your gtk theme.

You can name your file anything you like ( I use .gtkrc-xfce) so long as the "include" command uses the correct file name.

Hope this helps,
greywolf.
It was about the dragons. It was always about the dragons!

GNUday

Postby GNUday » 12 Oct 2014 01:00

greywolf wrote:
GNUday wrote:Link to tutorial and sample pic here, enjoy.

Thanks for this. First thing I always do on Xfce installs is get rid of "ancient" icon text settings! :)

One bit of info if I may; the slightly better way to do this sort of thing is to create a file called (something like) ".gtkrc-2.0.mine" and then call that file from the ".gtkrc-2.0" file with the following command:

Code: Select all

include "/home/<username>/.gtkrc-2.0.mine"

The reason for this is that many settings apps like "gtk-chtheme" and "lxappearance" change the .gtkrc-2.0 file by overwriting it. However, they observe and leave alone the "include" command so you don't lose your personal customizations when you change your gtk theme.

You can name your file anything you like ( I use .gtkrc-xfce) so long as the "include" command uses the correct file name.

Hope this helps,
greywolf.

Nice! Great tip, thank you. Never hurts to learn something new everyday. 8-)

Return to “Customizations”