Rotated wallpaper

Share here your personal tips or creations: desktop, conky, docks, widgets or tweaks are welcomed here!
SolydForEver

Rotated wallpaper

Postby SolydForEver » 02 Oct 2015 03:17

Hello all,

This summer I made a lot of pictures during our holiday trip and I have setup a folder as slideshow for my desktop. The pictures show one by one, 10 seconds each. Only, the ones I made when holding the camera vertical, like with a waterfall, are now shown horizontally. When opening the picture in a picture viewer gives me a nice vertical waterfall, but on my desktop the water is flower from right to left and that is not how I remembered it.
What do I need to do to rotate the pictures for good on my desktop? With which program can I do that? I know there is a lot of metadata in the pictures and I need to change it there, but how to do that?
Who can help me?

Thanks

[EDIT:] I am using the KDE version, forgot to write that.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Re: Rotated wallpaper

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 02 Oct 2015 05:48

Open your desktop settings (right-click your desktop > Default Desktop Settings), choose "Slideshow" from the Wallpaper dropdown and add the folder where your images reside.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Zill

Postby Zill » 02 Oct 2015 10:27

SolydForEver wrote:... What do I need to do to rotate the pictures for good on my desktop? With which program can I do that? I know there is a lot of metadata in the pictures and I need to change it there, but how to do that?
Using your file manager, right-click on the picture of your choice and open it with Shotwell. Although this is in the SolydXK menu as "Organize your photos", it also has an excellent editor with lots of tweaks such as rotation.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 02 Oct 2015 10:43

...totally misunderstood that one... :oops:

SolydXK needs you!

SolydForEver

Postby SolydForEver » 03 Oct 2015 06:07

...totally misunderstood that one... :oops:

Now that I read my story again I think I did not write it as clear as I should have.

When I open the picture the viewer shows me a nice vertical image, just as when I shot it.
Only, the KDE program responsible for showing the picture as wallpaper does not rotate it. It somehow does not use the metadata in the picture to show it in the correct orientation.
Now I can change metadata but then all other viewers show the picture in the wrong orientation. It must be something in the KDE software. I will try to get an answer on their forum, or maybe file a bug-report.
Thanks for your answer, guys.

[EDIT] I don't need to file a bug, nor get information from the KDE guys, it has all been done already: https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=2 ... er#p338956
Seems, I am not the only one having this "problem". Something I don't like that much is that this is a Plasma 5 bug, meaning they just copied the bug from 4 into 5.
Oh well, just have to rotate the head when those pictures appear on screen. :)

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 03 Oct 2015 11:07

SolydForEver wrote:Oh well, just have to rotate the head when those pictures appear on screen. :)
...or your monitor.

SolydXK needs you!

SolydForEver

Postby SolydForEver » 03 Oct 2015 15:16

Schoelje wrote:
SolydForEver wrote:Oh well, just have to rotate the head when those pictures appear on screen. :)
...or your monitor.
Since I also have to rotate it back to original position it is easier to use the head for the rotation. Pictures change every 10 seconds. A bit hard to do with the monitor. :lol:

Return to “Customizations”