tips for dark theme

Share here your personal tips or creations: desktop, conky, docks, widgets or tweaks are welcomed here!
draghetto

tips for dark theme

Postby draghetto » 20 Feb 2016 18:10

Hello to all :)
I always used unity, now on kde I can not find a combination of icons themes and dark decorations always brings me some display defect ..
could you recommend a good combination to have black dark theme with a little blue?

belze

Re: tips for dark theme

Postby belze » 21 Feb 2016 22:54

draghetto do you use SolydxK STABLE or EE edition?
Stable has plasma4 and EE has plasma5
-------

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 22 Feb 2016 21:50

I like dark themes but I have often found issues with them in KDE. Most notably I have found issues with GTK programs. My most common issue has been text color. It seems that some GTK programs in KDE always want to use black text. So if I have a black theme I sometimes loose my black text. Once in awhile I get the opposite problem. I will have white text in a white box and I can not see what the text is. For that reason I have tried to stay with themes that are darker, but still use black text.

Having said that. Here is one I found recently that I like.
http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/br ... ent=174657

I made some tweaks to the stock SolydK qt theme and I made some custom orange colors that I really like. I also didn't care for the plasma decorations so I used the Elly theme for my deocorations. I hope to upload my changes some day soon, because I think others would like my changes. But here is a nice theme to start playing with. It gives a nice KDE5 look to KDE4.

draghetto

Postby draghetto » 22 Feb 2016 23:11

belze wrote:draghetto do you use SolydxK STABLE or EE edition?
Stable has plasma4 and EE has plasma5

I use stable SolydxK

Fargo wrote:I like dark themes but I have often found issues with them in KDE. Most notably I have found issues with GTK programs. My most common issue has been text color. It seems that some GTK programs in KDE always want to use black text. So if I have a black theme I sometimes loose my black text. Once in awhile I get the opposite problem. I will have white text in a white box and I can not see what the text is. For that reason I have tried to stay with themes that are darker, but still use black text.

Having said that. Here is one I found recently that I like.
http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/br ... ent=174657

I made some tweaks to the stock SolydK qt theme and I made some custom orange colors that I really like. I also didn't care for the plasma decorations so I used the Elly theme for my deocorations. I hope to upload my changes some day soon, because I think others would like my changes. But here is a nice theme to start playing with. It gives a nice KDE5 look to KDE4.

the problem is that I do not know how to load a complete theme in KDE :(
I really like the plasma 5 thema breeze dark
you may have about KDE 4? icons including ..

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 22 Feb 2016 23:36

draghetto wrote:
the problem is that I do not know how to load a complete theme in KDE :(
I really like the plasma 5 thema breeze dark
you may have about KDE 4? icons including ..

By complete theme, do you mean desktop theme, colors, qt theme and everything? I don't think there is a one stop way to load them all at the same time. Instead you do each one individually. So lets say you want to start with the desktop theme like I displayed above. The easiest way is to open the menu and select 'System Settings>Workspace Appearance>Desktop Theme'. You should see a couple of options here already. If you don't like any of these you can download a new one. Whi8le you are still on the desktop theme page, you will notice a button in the lower right hand corner "Get New Themes" Just click on it and it will go to an online page with a lot of different themes. You can sort by a couple different methods or search for a specific theme. Just click on 'install' and it will install the theme so you can select it later from the previous page. However, not all themes will work with all versions of KDE. For example Breeze for plasma 5 will not work on plasma 4. So you could find you install a couple that might not show up. In that case you will have to pick a different theme. But you might find something similar. Just do a search for Breeze and try a couple.

Return to “Customizations”