SolydM aka SolydX with Mate... advice wanted

Share here your personal tips or creations: desktop, conky, docks, widgets or tweaks are welcomed here!
sdibaja

SolydM aka SolydX with Mate... advice wanted

Postby sdibaja » 14 May 2017 20:44

Good morning.
Long story short. I am requesting some seasoned wisdom of a better method to overlay Mate on SolydX

I am very new to Solyd. I am a longtime fan of LMDE and Gnome2/Mate.

I come seeking refugee status: we were crippled by the LMDE Mate 1.8 update of April 30. (partly humor)

>> I am requesting some seasoned wisdom of a better method to overlay Mate on SolydX

back story, using LMDE Mate for a few years, daily driver, dozens of installs on various machines. I love it.
Also been using Point Linux as a backup OS, but they seem to be inactive, repos sometimes dead, and Stretch may kill it... dunno
I tried MX Linux, and put Mate on it... it works fine, but no "magic". not enamored
Then Debian8 non-free Mate. That worked fine... a bit spartan for me, and a steep learning curve, clumsy installer... it may yet be the wisest way to go
Last but not Least, SolydX with Mate. I love it! a bit of redundancy with the xfce apps, but no big deal

My Goal: Debian Stable Mate, ... quick easy install noob friendly ... community support

Peter in Baja
Peter E

kurotsugi

Re: SolydM aka SolydX with Mate... advice wanted

Postby kurotsugi » 15 May 2017 00:15

LMDE and solydxk based on debian stable. you could install LMDE then solydxk-ing it. that way you'll get a hybrid LMDE-solydxk with both advantages

ilu

Postby ilu » 15 May 2017 01:13

sdibaja wrote:I come seeking refugee status: we were crippled by the LMDE Mate 1.8 update of April 30. (partly humor)
I have no idea what you are talking about. I searched for LMDE Mate 1.8 and found announcements from 2014? Anyway ...
kurotsugi wrote:LMDE and solydxk based on debian stable. you could install LMDE then solydxk-ing it. that way you'll get a hybrid LMDE-solydxk with both advantages
I think he's looking for advice on Mate-fying SolydX, so the other way round. It should be no problem to install the Mate desktop but I don't think anybody here has any experience with it.

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 15 May 2017 01:32

I did...but the result was "subjectively" terrible. the problem was because I've been using LMDE's mate for a long time, I'm unconciously using LMDE as my standard. I can't resist to compare my MATE with LMDE's mate. lot of people actually have same issue. here's the sympton
I tried MX Linux, and put Mate on it... it works fine, but no "magic". not enamored
Then Debian8 non-free Mate. That worked fine... a bit spartan for me, and a steep learning curve, clumsy installer... it may yet be the wisest way to go
Last but not Least, SolydX with Mate. I love it! a bit of redundancy with the xfce apps, but no big deal

that's why I suggested to solydxk-ing a LMDE. if we want a best debian+mate IMO the best route would be using debian ISO > install mate on it > customize it > add solydxk repo > install solydxk tools. the problem is that it would take a quite work to customize it to get something close to LMDE.

sdibaja

Postby sdibaja » 15 May 2017 04:00

kurotsugi wrote:LMDE and solydxk based on debian stable. you could install LMDE then solydxk-ing it. that way you'll get a hybrid LMDE-solydxk with both advantages
I have several LMDE installs now, all of them (that were updated) suffer from the various Mate problems.

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic. ... 0#p1315787

BTW: I like LMDE tools, but I very much dislike their Mint Menu and the strange upside down single panel theme.
I prefer traditional Gnome2 setup, as you get in the other distros I listed in the original post.
Peter E

kurotsugi

Postby kurotsugi » 15 May 2017 06:43

AFAIK the problem with LMDE's mate was because Clem made his own mate. though, I believe he should doing that on develpment so that user not affected by these issues. well...I don't know...perhaps he has his own reason to do that on production branch. anyway, IMO the best solution would be install a second DE. you can keep your current LMDE as it is but until it got fixed you'll need a secondary DE to work. I highly recommend XFCE since it's rock stable. the issues on LMDE's mate will got fixed. you only need to wait a little more.

else, you can either solydxk-ing a debian or a LMDE. however, you'll need to customize your system by your ownself since only a few of us is knowledable on mate nor know the recipes on LMDE mate. I was LMDE user but it was long time ago and I couldn't remember what was under LMDE's hood

Return to “Customizations”