Is there any alternative for Poedit?

Help make SolydX and SolydK support your language.
Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Is there any alternative for Poedit?

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 10 Nov 2014 11:17

I've been having problems with Poedit lately. It segfaults whenever I hover over the scroll bar.

I sent an e-mail to the maintainer as mentioned on his support page to describe the issue as best as I could:
Hi,

I have been looking on the net for a solution, but was unsuccessful to find one.

Whenever I open a .po file, poedit segfaults whenever I hover over the scroll bar.
Running poedit from the terminal does not provide any other feedback then: "Segmentation fault".
This behavior repeats when started as root (kdesudo, gksudo, or as su).

I'm running on SolydK 64-bit (Debian Jessie with KDE and systemd).
Poedit version: 1.6.10-1

I suspect it has got to do with wxWidgets (wx-common package, version 3.0.2-1+b1)

If there is anything I can do to provide you with a better track trace, please let me know.

Kind regards,
Arjen Balfoort
Founder SolydXK
Unfortunately, he couldn't help me:
Hi,

> If there is anything I can do to provide you with a better track trace, please let me know.

What do you mean, “better”? You didn’t provide *any* at all… I’m not even sure why are you emailing me, when you yourself say you suspect *something other than Poedit*. Whatever your problem is, it’s unlikely to have anything to do with Poedit or wx — more likely a miscompilation or some other screwup.

You’ll need to debug it yourself, sorry. As a distro person, you should be sufficiently competent to do that.

BTW, trying to run a program *as root* after it crashed, in a misguided attempt to (I assume) magically fix it that way — that’s not the brightest idea.

Vaclav
Naturally, I thanked him for the support, but now I have to edit the po files in kate. It's not bad, but not very well suited for translations.

Did anybody else have those crashes with Poedit and/or do you know of another translation software?

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

grizzler

Re: Is there any alternative for Poedit?

Postby grizzler » 10 Nov 2014 13:34

No issues at all here. If you install and run poedit in a VM, does it also segfault?
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

just

Postby just » 10 Nov 2014 14:15

i've never used Poedit, so can't speak about it. as an alternative, could suggest Transifex tool. many projects use it for localization purposes.

it's free for project translators, reviewers, coordinators, but not for project owners. as far as i understand, it costs 19 $/month for a single project. entire SolydXK could be such a project.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 10 Nov 2014 15:24

@grizzler
In a clean install it doesn't break. I simply cannot pinpoint what is wrong with it on my development machine. Finding a solution already took too much time. So, I installed virtaal (just found it in the repository).

@just
Thanks for the feedback.
Transiflex would be a viable solution, but unfortunately, SolydXK does not have the financial means to afford $19/month.

Looking further...

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

just

Postby just » 10 Nov 2014 15:46

the alternativeTo website lists 11 Poedit alternatives for Linux. all have Free or Open Source license.

unfortunately, personally have not used any one of them, so can't express any opinion about it.

summ3r

Postby summ3r » 15 Jan 2015 15:07

As an alternative to Poedit for software localization projects, I would recommend this online app: https://poeditor.com/
Hope it's useful for you.

Return to “Translations”