A new wallpaper for the upcoming new stable

Contribute your designs to make SolydXK look even better.
Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Re: A new wallpaper for the upcoming new stable

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 10 Oct 2014 20:48

Unfortunately, RavenLX cannot work on a new wallpaper.

Is there somebody else who would like to take the honors?

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

Snap

Postby Snap » 10 Oct 2014 23:00

I've tried it but didn't liked what I've got so I gave up. 8-) I don't like the current one too much but mine were uglier. :lol:
This likely means that your installation is broken. -Mr Pixbuf.

Snap

Postby Snap » 27 Oct 2014 17:19

Here's a leftover subproduct of my failed attempts of making a wallpaper, splash and lightdm theme for the forthcoming SolydXK. It's a ksplash for SolydK with some Chakra's Sirius theme stuff borrowed. I made some tweaks today to reuse the current background instead. If anyone is interested here go the files.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/avo5oj1n9vaj ... UjINa?dl=0

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 09 Dec 2014 21:46

Could something like this be tweaked a little for SolydXK.
http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/+ ... c3ce0b2904

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 09 Dec 2014 21:58

Despite my aversion to dark themes, I really like that one. That would look nice for SolydXK!

BTW, I don't mean to be rude but I thought I'd point out that your URL is showing. :oops: :)

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 09 Dec 2014 22:13

RavenLX wrote:
BTW, I don't mean to be rude but I thought I'd point out that your URL is showing. :oops: :)
Oh no, not again. How embarasing.

I actually really like the current SolydXK theme too. Although I think it might also look really nice if the background was converted to black and white. Maybe add a little texture. It could be carbon fiber look or leather. There are lots of wallpapers online with different textures. But we will have to be aware of licensing on them. There should also be different image editors that can add texture as well. I used to use Paintshop Pro in WIndows that was great for doing things like that. I'm not sure what to use in LInux though. I can't find anything as simple to use.

Deleted User 2764

Postby Deleted User 2764 » 09 Dec 2014 22:26

Gimp has some plugins in the repos that create textures too. I used to use Paint Shop Pro (and later Paint Shop Photo Pro) but found Gimp to be easy to use once you get used to it. The first thing I always do is go into Windows - Single Window Mode. That makes Gimp more familiar to use. Then I arrange/drag/drop the tool palettes to my liking, and turn on features in the settings to my liking. Gimp is pretty awesome. Plus one can learn a lot form the online tutorials and YouTube tutorials.

I'm envisioning a more Apple-esque type of theme for SolydXK in that it would be light textures, simplistic, white, and clean. That can be very business-like as well.

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 09 Dec 2014 22:31

RavenLX wrote: I'm envisioning a more Apple-esque type of theme for SolydXK in that it would be light textures, simplistic, white, and clean. That can be very business-like as well.
Yeah, that sounds like what I would like to see too. I wish I had the time to play with Gimp. You setup directions sound like they might fix one of my biggest complaints with Gimp. I'm just really busy right now and don't have time to do anything.

tuktuk22

Postby tuktuk22 » 23 Dec 2014 06:58

i'm not an artist and this is just an idea ...

who needs a new wallpaper? ;)
Attachments
solydk-wallpaper-flat.png
- solydk64
- debian testing

Fargo

Postby Fargo » 23 Dec 2014 16:08

tuktuk - thats nice. It has that flat look and it looks like it would match well with KDE5. It may be something for Schoelje to keep in mind if he wants to do a slight logo change in future releases when we have KDE5. But since the next release will still be KDE4, I prefer the 3d looking one that Snap has posted above.

I have to say that I appreciate the subtle changes that people are making to the wallpaper. Keeping it simple and business looking is great. I'm glad others here feel the same way.

Snap

Postby Snap » 23 Dec 2014 20:12

It has that flat look and it looks like it would match well with KDE5. It may be something for Schoelje to keep in mind if he wants to do a slight logo change in future releases when we have KDE5. But since the next release will still be KDE4
Afaik, Jessie won't see KF5. Rolling distros will start to show KF5 in their releases in a few months, but Debian Stable users will have to wait two years more. Anyway, it will look nice with the flat Evolvere and Qtcurve theming the SolydXK pre-releases are already using.

Return to “Artwork”