New ISOs in ce/testing

SolydXK is too quiet for you? SolydXK Enthusiast Editions, based on Debian Testing is for you! Here you can find news about Debian Testing and Unstable too, and also tests on SolydXK programs.
The support for SolydXK EE is provided by the community.
grizzler

Re: New ISOs in ce/testing

Postby grizzler » 14 Apr 2018 16:12

Curious. I installed SolydX EE 32 201803 on a test machine just now and the installer package was removed as intended. I'm afraid I can't explain why it wasn't removed on your installation.
Frank

SolydX EE 64 - tracking Debian Testing

gsus

Postby gsus » 09 May 2018 00:58

Another detail is thar gparted cannot start from menu in 32bit build, complains about root user, I think that some polkit rule is missing.

64bits ISO works OK.

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 10 May 2018 16:02

Indeed.

The rule file has changed name between the Stretch and Buster version and apparently that caused the file to go missing from the 32-bit package. I'll check whether that's already been reported at the Debian bug tracker and file a new bug if necessary. Thanks for reporting.
Frank

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 06 Jul 2018 11:46

Currently uploading two 32-bit isos. Not tested, as usual: https://downloads.solydxk.com/ce/testing/

Note: my bug report about the 32-bit gparted has received no attention whatsoever over the past two months.
Frank

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 14 Aug 2018 16:49

Sorry, nothing new yet. Just a note explaining my absence a bit.

Five years ago my main (ARM based) RISC OS computer died. I had been programming for RISC OS since forever, but while the OS was considered quite advanced at one time, it really hadn't kept up. So when I was faced with the choice, I decided it was time to call it a day and not buy another RISC OS box (elusive and therefore expensive beasts - think Apple prices and then some). I did have a Raspberry Pi which can also run RISC OS, but at the time it didn't run on that anywhere near as well as it had on my old dead machine (networking in particular was a disaster...).
So I got myself a new Intel based computer, as my old Linux box was also starting to show its age, and then there was SolydXK...

I generally don't abandon people who use my applications, so when an old RISC OS tool I created needed some work, I dug up the code (kept on my RISC OS emulator). And got hooked on RISC OS coding again... :ugeek:

I had kind of forgotten how much fun that was. It's also time consuming...

In the meantime I've tried to keep the CE build structures up to date. I promise I'll build some EE ISOs soon. :?
Frank

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 15 Aug 2018 14:39

Just started the upload of all four EE ISOs. Should be available here later today.

As usual, I haven't really tested them, but I did try both 64 bit ones in a VM and they seemed OK. The SolydK one even showed a desktop in less than a minute, so the extremely slow startup problem seems to be behind us for now...
Frank

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 16 Aug 2018 14:54

SolydK EE 32-bit ends in a black screen. In safe mode this is the last screen:
Screenshot_20180816_165220.png
The last line is repeated in a loop.

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 16 Aug 2018 15:06

Apparmor? I'll run a comparison with the 64 bit ISO. Wouldn't be the first time they forgot to update something on 32 bit only...
Frank

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 16 Aug 2018 17:01

SolydX EE 32-bit ends the same as SolydK EE 32-bit :cry:

SolydXK needs you!

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 16 Aug 2018 19:14

Makes sense, if both have bits missing in the same 32 bit package (not saying that's the case, but...). I'll take a closer look at this tomorrow. Thanks for checking so far.
Frank

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 17 Aug 2018 10:03

Odd. In safe mode, both SolydX EE 32 and SolydK EE 32 end up in a working desktop in my test VM. The window doesn't switch to normal size, so something's amiss with the guest additions, but otherwise I can't see anything wrong with it. That's in safe mode only. Normal mode hangs on a black screen.

Still, the fact safe mode does sort of run, suggests this isn't about apparmor or 32 bit packages missing bits. VBox issue? I'd better dig up a USB stick...
Frank

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 17 Aug 2018 10:57

Yup. SolydX EE 32 on a stick and my old laptop goes straight into a working desktop.

VBox issue.
Frank

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 17 Aug 2018 12:44

Trying SolydX EE 32-bit further...

VB: use the USB2 controller instead of the USB3 controller and it boots!

lightdm: I always need to login the live user manually (no automatic login).

/etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf contains:

Code: Select all

autologin-user=solydxk
autologin-user-timeout=0
So, that's ok...

No lightdm errors in /var/log/*

.xsession-errors shows some errors/warnings but most Gtk/Gdk related (removed below):

No window manager registered on screen 0. To start the xfdesktop without this check, run with --disable-wm-check.
xfce4-panel: No window manager registered on screen 0. To start the panel without this check, run with --disable-wm-check.
If I run the cleanup script from solydxk-constructor, these packages are removed because the are not in the repositories any more (but has nothing to do with not automatically logging in by LDM):

catfisch
geoip-database-contrib
libtcl8.5
tcl8.5
mugshot
prism2-usb-firmware-installer
xfce4-hdaps
xfce4-linelight-plugin
xfce4-messenger-plugin
xfce4-mpc-plugin
xfce4-quicklauncher-plugin
xfce4-radio-plugin
xfce4-wmdock-plugin
gir1.2-gst-plugins-base-1.0
libxfcegui4-4
gir1.2-gstreamer-1.0
I don't understand why the live session doesn't automatically login the solydxk user.

SolydXK needs you!

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 17 Aug 2018 14:30

Weird. Don't see that here. If it reaches the desktop, it logs in automatically.
Frank

xendistar

Postby xendistar » 19 Aug 2018 20:12

I have installed a fresh copy of SolydX EE 64 201803 as I broke my old install (don't ask please). Everything has gone OK, the only thing I have found that does not work is the icon on the whicker menu is missing. I have a square icon with diagonal lines and an exclamation mark in the middle. As far as I can tell I have the Breeze-X theme installed with the Evolvere Flat Vivid Sunken icons selected. The Whisker menu works perfectly and all the other icon on the Menu seem to be OK. I have not changed any of the appearance settings yet, this is as it came out of the box.

Thanks you for the new version

san-claudio

Postby san-claudio » 19 Aug 2018 20:18

Merci pour ce retour.

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 21 Aug 2018 16:21

New VBox version arrived, so I built SolydX EE 32 again. Same result in a VM: boots to a smaller window than usual in safe mode, hangs on a black screen (with a frozen cursor top left) in normal mode. Selecting different USB controller has no effect.

Strange thing is, if I switch the VM off using "Send shutdown signal", I see a brief flash of what looks like the lightdm screen and the VM actually switches off. So the desktop may not appear, lightdm seems to be running. It just doesn't show anything and apparently fails to log in the live user (which is also what you saw, Arjen).

I'll upload the ISO, even if it isn't really any better.
Frank

grizzler

Postby grizzler » 21 Aug 2018 16:31

xendistar wrote: I have installed a fresh copy of SolydX EE 64 201803
Did you mean 201808 ?
Everything has gone OK, the only thing I have found that does not work is the icon on the whicker menu is missing. I have a square icon with diagonal lines and an exclamation mark in the middle.
Is that just after installation or did the live system show the same thing (it doesn't here)?
Frank

xendistar

Postby xendistar » 21 Aug 2018 16:48

grizzler wrote:
21 Aug 2018 16:31
xendistar wrote: I have installed a fresh copy of SolydX EE 64 201803
Did you mean 201808 ?
Everything has gone OK, the only thing I have found that does not work is the icon on the whicker menu is missing. I have a square icon with diagonal lines and an exclamation mark in the middle.
Is that just after installation or did the live system show the same thing (it doesn't here)?
Sorry minor typo, yes I meant 201808

It was there on the Live screen, I installed SoldyX rebooted and then noticed that the icon was missing.

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 21 Aug 2018 17:57

I created a new VM in VB and only set UEFI in the settings. I then downloaded and booted the new ISO in the new VM. Perfect boot into desktop. :clap:

SolydXK needs you!

Return to “Testing zone”