Testing needed: kdeconnect

SolydXK is too quiet for you? SolydXK Enthusiast Editions, based on Debian Testing is for you! Here you can find news about Debian Testing and Unstable too, and also tests on SolydXK programs.
The support for SolydXK EE is provided by the community.
fleabus

Re: Testing needed: kdeconnect

Postby fleabus » 27 Nov 2013 22:42

Oh wait. The pc popup is showing the phone's battery level!
zz wrote:here i can't ping anymore with this new version :shock:
Mom always said pinging yourself was a bad idea. I guess she talked to Albert and he took that out. :lol:

Kidding aside, on the PC, the System Settings device list no longer shows the computer, only the Moto Droidx2. I guess kinda redundant show the PC in that list.. I'm already connected to myself! :)

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 27 Nov 2013 22:53

Can't get the clipboard sharing to do anything...

So. I have a remote control on the phone with which I can control vlc on the pc, and battery level showing on the widget popup on the pc. The phone has two successfully loaded plugins listed - ping, and multimedia remote control.

Good thing I can't leave stuff alone... :D

So it's working after all. Somewhat. Needs TLC, but the part that works, works great! I want the file transfers... :mrgreen:

Well, here's something. If I hit the menu button when the phone app is showing the plugins list for the device "dv7-1270us", there is a "Select Plugins" button. Hit that and I get a list of the PC plugins I can try to talk to from the phone, with check boxes. I can check Battery Report, Clipboard sync, Remote control, Notification, Ping, and Telephony notifier.

Still the only ones that will actually load are the remote, ping, and battery monitor.

The phone tells me that the notification and clipboard plugins failed to load, and if I "touch for more info" the app simply crashes. Which is cool, notifications aren't even supported on this android version.

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 27 Nov 2013 23:40

fleabus wrote:Good thing I can't leave stuff alone... :D

So it's working after all. Somewhat. Needs TLC, but the part that works, works great! I want the file transfers... :mrgreen:
i see i got you a new toy :lol:
bliss of ignorance

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 27 Nov 2013 23:42

Yeah! this is fun... :lol:

I hope he gets it together soon. I'm an impatient kid... :D

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 27 Nov 2013 23:43

Using the deb zerozero posted, the desktop widget now loads the KdeConnect Settings applet. This allows me to pair with and ping the phone. I just discovered that it reports an approximate phone battery level - to the nearest 10%.

On the phone, touch the computer name and I get a new screen with
  • Send Ping - which works
  • Open remote control - which loads a VCR type remote control set
  • Notification sync - which, when touched, tells me "This feature is not available in your Android Version". This may be because I've disabled the stock messaging app in favor of Go SMS Pro
  • I can activate a menu (Select Plugins, Unpair)
    • Select Plugins - A checkbox menu and that's all
    • Unpair - work, it disconnects from the computer and the status on the computer shows the disconnect
More as I have more.
Scott
Quoting zerozero, "The usage of PPA's in debian-based
systems is risky at best and entails serious compatibility
problems; usually it's the best way to destroy an install"

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 27 Nov 2013 23:45

zerozero wrote:
fleabus wrote:Good thing I can't leave stuff alone... :D

i see i got you a new toy :lol:
So far, that's exactly what it is - a toy. If I want file transfer, I'll use the USB cord. Much faster and with KDE it seems to be proving to be a bit easier to do the connection. Maybe that's the upgrade to the kernel?
Scott

fleabus

Postby fleabus » 27 Nov 2013 23:49

ScottQuier wrote:If I want file transfer, I'll use the USB cord. Much faster and with KDE it seems to be proving to be a bit easier to do the connection. Maybe that's the upgrade to the kernel?
You're right of course. AirDroid and its ilk are fun novelties, but I do prefer to use an honest file manager and a cable connection rather than yet another way of spraying myself all over the net. My cable connection is something I haven't had trouble with on this old phone.

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 27 Nov 2013 23:52

I just got the clipboard sync to work:
  1. Make sure you're paired up
  2. On computer, using Kwrite, enter your text.
  3. Highlight and Ctrl-C
  4. On phone, open a notepad thing
  5. Paste
Do the reverse for going the other way.

I just got the file sharing to work (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkCFngNmsh0), but it's a one-way street from the phone to you computer. It's probably configurable, but the transfer landed the file in /home/<username>/Downloads.

Is configurable:
Open the settings:
settings.jpg
Click on the "wrench" for "Share and receive" and you get this little thing:
destination.jpg
destination.jpg (12.38 KiB) Viewed 6718 times
wherein you can set the destination. I remember, now, changing it from /home/scott to /home/scott/Downloads.
Scott

ScottQuier

Postby ScottQuier » 28 Nov 2013 00:17

Were it my decision, I would say that before this S/W could be considered for inclusion in the repos it needs:
  • A bit more spit and polish
  • A bit more in the way of documentation. Youtube is all well and good, but ....
  • It needs to perform as advertised. The dev says it works with Android 4.0+. Well, not on my 4.1.2 phone - not all functions work.
  • Two way file transfer would be a good thing.
Scott

Arjen Balfoort
Site Admin

Postby Arjen Balfoort » 28 Nov 2013 07:24

I just uploaded the latest deb to: http://downloads.solydxk.nl/dev/

SolydXK needs you!
Development | Testing | Translations

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 28 Nov 2013 12:27

i added a new link to the OP with build instructions as well
http://www.jfdesignnet.com/?p=3274

==
in this comment http://albertvaka.wordpress.com/2013/10 ... omment-712 Albert "agrees" with Scott
ScottQuier wrote:Were it my decision, I would say that before this S/W could be considered for inclusion in the repos it needs:
  • A bit more spit and polish
  • A bit more in the way of documentation. Youtube is all well and good, but ....
  • It needs to perform as advertised. The dev says it works with Android 4.0+. Well, not on my 4.1.2 phone - not all functions work.
  • Two way file transfer would be a good thing.
from here it looks a very interesting project but it needs a 1.0 release.
bliss of ignorance

smitty1

Postby smitty1 » 30 Nov 2013 15:23

I downloaded and tried this but with zero success. I don't know if I missed a step or if it's my phone whatever.
Since I am getting a new phone soon I didn"t pursue it any further. Perhaps later with the new phone.

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

whatsvictory

Postby whatsvictory » 16 Dec 2013 03:21

Works for me on a Samsung S3 with CyanogenMod 10.2 but tried yesterday on CM-11 Nightly with no luck (text messaging didn't work either). Can even connect to an old Motorola Atrix 4G with the app on it as well and get notifications from that phone also with CM-10. In CM you have make sure your Privacy Gaurd isn't blocking it (Settings> Security> Privacy Gaurd) and turn on Notification Access (Settings> Security>Notification access) for it to work right.

silopolis

Postby silopolis » 27 Dec 2013 15:51

THIS is a great great great projetc !!!

With all those devices, all interoperability/synchronisation/integration/unification initiatives are of prime importance. Thanks for taking this one which, furthermore, looks promising to say the least :-)
zerozero wrote:we have a (hopefully) functional deb (64bit only for now) of kdeconnect
(download link here as well http://downloads.solydxk.nl/dev/)
Thanks for packaging this for us.
zerozero wrote:A) what you need?
What I have: a Fujitsu Lifebook E743 with always up to date SolydK and a Wiko Cink Peak smartphone running Android 4.0.4 (yes, I should upgrade it, but backup/flash/restore is such a PITA :( I've dreamed for so long that my phone was managed by APT...)
zerozero wrote:B) what we want to know?
Deb installs without a hitch: download, double click, done

KCM module is indeed available in sys-set, as well as the widget for the panel... which I immediately added to mine without problem.
One thing, the KCM module doesn't appear in the "Hardware" section of the "System Settings" entry of the "K" menu.
Another one, the program doesn't appear in the "Recently installed" entry of the "K" menu.

* Pairing request works; pairing acknowledgement works too
* "Ping" works in both ways
* Multimedia remote control works perfectly with Amarok and VLC but had to install remuco-{base,amarok,vlc} packages
* Incoming call and SMS notification (with contact info and message text !) works perfectly... hardly waiting to be able to send SMS from my desktop :-P
* Media pause during call works like a charm
* Clipboard sync works in both ways (wife couldn't believe her eyes !)
* Mobile battery status is reported in kdeconnect widget, but don't have the nice gauge in battery monitor like in the video
* [edit] File and URL transfer from phone to desktop works; only opening file via the button in notification pop-up breaks if path contains non ASCII characters (like in my case "/home/user/Téléphone")
* Finally, notifications synchronisation doesn't work with my old Android version... which is another motivation to upgrade !

So AFAIC, this piece of code works quite exactly as advertised, out of the box !!!
Desktop/[mobile|tablet] coupling is an essential part for nowadays numerical UX and this software is a major contribution to KDE ecosystem in this direction.

From now on in my default setup \o/
Thanks again for all and, please, Keep it on !

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 28 Dec 2013 00:41

thanks silopolis 8-) for the feedback
bliss of ignorance

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 30 Dec 2013 01:04

bliss of ignorance

electragician

Postby electragician » 02 Jan 2014 02:21

Hi folks. Thanks for the effort on this! I was really wanting it to be added to the repos, so I'm glad to see it's being worked on.

This is what I found with the latest posted build paired with a Samsung Galaxy SIII running the official Cyanogenmod 10.2 release (based on Android 4.3.1).

1) Battery status is displayed in that area that expands when you click the KDE Connect taskbar widget, not with the system battery as in the video.
2) Pings work both ways, and Ping notifications are routed to the system notifications widget, so you get a pop-up notification when received.
3) General notifications such as Gmail and SMS (handled via the Hangounts app, which might be an issue for me) do not get sent to system notifications, even though that is toggled in my system notifications settings. Instead an entry is made in the expandable area that raises when you click the KDE Connect widget on the taskbar (the same area that shows phone battery level). Unless you manually raise that expanded area, there's no overt signal that you've had activity. The info really needs to be sent to system notifications and a pop-up raised. (Upstream behavior??)
4) Clicking "X" on the notification entry on the KDE Connect expanded widget clears the corresponding notification from the Android device. This is expected and desired behavior.
5) Clipboard sharing works perfectly both ways (I love this feature)
6) Incoming calls and Missed Call Notifications are displayed in the system notifications widget, via a popup. This is expected and desired behavior.
7) File transfer works from phone to PC, initiated via the Android sharing menu. I can't find anyway to initiate transfer from PC to Android device, via the expected mechanisms of either an Dolphin contextual menu item, or drag and dropping onto KDE Connect widget. (Incomplete feature upstream?)

That's all I got :D

I find the application fully usable as is. That said, I would like to see general notifications (email, incoming SMS via Hangouts, etc...) routed to system notifications, where they can raise a pop-up notification and bring that kind of info to my immediate attention. I'm not sure if that behavior is determined upstream, or if it is simply not working correctly on my setup.

Regards

zerozero

Postby zerozero » 03 Jan 2014 16:05

bit late to report :P
thanks for the positive feedback, kdeconnect was added to the community repository

Code: Select all

apt update && apt install kdeconnect
bliss of ignorance

electragician

Postby electragician » 03 Jan 2014 21:16

Awesome :)

I can't wait for upstream to tweak a few features and add some more goodies, over time.

Thanks again!

Omega

Postby Omega » 06 Jan 2014 06:19

I tested this on my Note 3, and Remote Control and File Transfer both work. I didn't have to do any extra steps. Everything just worked.

SolydK Home Edition 64Bit
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Steam User

Return to “Testing Zone”